thoughts on my ML80 latency issue..

Max houser

I'm new to the equinox 800... I am experiencing a slight latency from the 800 to the ML80 headphones. from what I have read not everyone notices this.
yesterday Digitdude mentioned that maybe it had to do with me setting my recovery speed too low??? IDK?
My thought is this...
I spent most of my adult life recording music, some early computerized recording programs had latency issues which we had to listen to by ear and correct manually. I can still pick out very minute timing issues in the new digital recording age.
so to sum it up , there is probably nothing wrong with my headphones... my ears are just trained to pick out the smallest of timing issues.;) something I will get used to.

Don't know about the ML-80's. I have a Nox 600 and bought Avantree Audition Pro's and there is no latency.

Steve

I'm new to the equinox 800... I am experiencing a slight latency from the 800 to the ML80 headphones. from what I have read not everyone notices this.
yesterday Digitdude mentioned that maybe it had to do with me setting my recovery speed too low??? IDK?
My thought is this...
I spent most of my adult life recording music, some early computerized recording programs had latency issues which we had to listen to by ear and correct manually. I can still pick out very minute timing issues in the new digital recording age.
so to sum it up , there is probably nothing wrong with my headphones... my ears are just trained to pick out the smallest of timing issues.;) something I will get used to.

I sold my ML80s because I could hear the latency you are experiencing and because the ML80s sounded very muffled, hollow and seemed overly bass to lower midrange equalized. I could hear the latency when I zeroed in on small or deep targets, often found them to be not under the center of the coil when I recovered them especially when using the Equinox onboard pinpoint function. I too have been using Avantree Audio Pros and Aukey ear buds which have much better audio equalization and less noticeable latency. Minelab has not been known to provide top audio quality headphones with their products for quite some time. Hopefully they are reading these forums and will listen. The WM08 module with wired headphones plugged in has virtually no latency.

I am working with a new set of HPs, the Quest Wire Free bluetooth for the Equinox machines. I am finding the same longer comparable latency and bass-ness compared with the B80 HPs. Just for grins I did go to recovery of 3 on the Nox 600, where I normally use 2 with the 11" coil. I seem to have reduced the longer latency on shallow(0-6") targets, and the machine when set back to 2 RS, sounds sweet at 10 inches. Maybe it's wishful thinking but it does seem the recover speed makes a difference. I really should test the 800, which has intermediate recover speed settings. When compared apples to apples with the same RS...there does seem to be a longer delay, to my ears anyway. I can live with it. Testing the B80 phones and a faster RS is next to try.

This is one of those times when an “audiophile” WILL notice there is something not quite right. As Jeff said, the module makes this issue virtually disappear. Wi-stream is much faster(when it comes to milliseconds).

Try plugging the ML80 headphones into the wireless WM08 module. I have talked to people that swear that is faster than straight wireless.YMMV

Try plugging the ML80 headphones into the wireless WM08 module. I have talked to people that swear that is faster than straight wireless.YMMV

When you plug the ML80s into the WM08 module or directly into the audio port on the Equinox control box you are completely bypassing the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver system. There will be no lag.

I sold my ML80s mostly because I did not like the sound quality. For everyday coin and jewelry hunting they are fine, easy to pair, easy to operate and comfortable on my big head. For really serious relic, deep coin, windy beach or gold prospecting, I needed something better.

If you decide to sell them on these forums or an EBay, they will sell very quickly if you price them fairly.

My thought is this...

Max, I'm, curious how sensitive you are to timing delays. When I have tried a few times to re-sync audio and video, I couldn't really see (hear) a problem until it was about 50ms off. I'd adjust leading and lagging until I perceived a delay on both sides, and then split the difference, usually the two were about 100ms apart.

Throwing numbers into these threads is my thing. I get annoyed when folks say there is "no lag" on wireless technologies that have lag. Better to say "I can't notice any lag..." because some are more sensitive to it than others. 40ms works fine for me. For some, it's still too much.

Direct wired = 0ms lag (I'm sure there's *some* but most would agree zero)
WM08 Wi-Stream 17ms (according to Minelab)
Bluetooth APTX LL 40ms (I've seen it shown as <40ms and 30-40ms)
Bluetooth FastStream ~40ms
"Regular" Bluetooth >100ms (usually 150ms up to 300+)

There's also some analog radio based transmitter/receivers out there, I'd call those zero lag too.

Note -- for the low latency bluetooths to work, the transmitter and receiver BOTH must support the codec. Equinoxes support APTX LL, so your headphones must also support it to get the benefit. Equinoxes also work with the WM08, which you can plug any wired headphone into (1/8" jack.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom