vanquest detectors

Hi Monte,
I have read all of your posts about the Vanquish, the ground noise issues in hot ground, the too positive and too negative GB characteristics and the awkward but usable “fix” for it which for me was to just discriminate out -9,-8, or so and not use the horseshoe “All Metal” button when detecting in high mineralization. I have absolutely no problem with anything related to your statements since they are exactly the same things that I experienced with the Vanquish and the Equinox. The times I have been able to use my Vanquish and Equinox detectors on milder ground they have had no problems whatsoever with adjusting to the soil conditions. As Chase said in his quote above, the same ground compensation mathematics is happening in the background BUT it is not very sophisticated and since the Vanquish are entry level detectors albeit outstanding ones, the built in ground balance compensation is just not up to handling really bad ground.

My only issue is the term fixed ground balance. That term for me means that a definite ground phase number was decided on in the factory and the VLF detector’s GB potentiometer was adjusted to that setting. That is not what happens on the Vanquish. Minelab may well have set a ground phase range limiter but they could not have just picked a single number value and locked that in. Multi IQ just doesn’t work that way according to everything I have read and learned from experience.

So, I am going to leave my part of this discussion at that. I agree with you on the vast majority of what you stated and I think maybe we actually agree on the ground balance thing too but are just using different words to describe it.

I used a word as described and used by the manufacturer, but let's just agree that the Vanquish GB reference, different based on the mode selected, is perhaps 'fixed' or 'preset' to function within a controlled range of adjustment and maybe not at a specific 'fixed' or controlled setting.

I do agree the Vanquish 540 I have, and the Equinox 800 I had, can work reasonably well for many applications, but they still have their limitations. No detector is 'perfect' and there are many applications where I grab a different make and model and coil choice because they handle the task better. Some have a GB that is functional for both a true All Metal mode as well as the Disc. mode, and some have a 'fixed' or 'controlled' GB range for the Discriminate mode. They just work 'differently' and have their strong and weak points as well.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom