River Crossing?

CarsonChris

Elite Member
When looking at old maps I’ve found a few locations marked by the name of the land owner with the term crossing. We’re these bridges, fords, or ferry’s? Current map I’m looking at is dated 1891.

When looking at old maps I’ve found a few locations marked by the name of the land owner with the term crossing. We’re these bridges, fords, or ferry’s? Current map I’m looking at is dated 1891.

For a mere $1000, I can be persuaded not to float the GPS location of this crossing on the forum here. I accept paypal. :laughing:

But seriously now : IMHO : It can be either a shallow spot, with firm bottom, where wagons could get through a shallow zone. Or, yes, it could be a bridge.

For your particular site, I'm tempted to think that those 2 protrusions , jutting out from the banks of the river at that certain spot, are bridge abutments . But I realize that doesn't line up with the vintage map trajectory of the road direction. Yet it does line up to the later topo maps. So I dunno.

No. Not a ferry for your spot. The river is too small to merit such a thing there (IMHO)

So my advice is : Git yer b#tt out there !

If it’s not snowing on Saturday I might give it a go. It’s going to be the coldest day of the year. Around 37/14 in this location. It’s currently snowing there and blue skies here.

If it’s not snowing on Saturday I might give it a go. It’s going to be the coldest day of the year. Around 37/14 in this location. It’s currently snowing there and blue skies here.

AAaahh, quit yer belly-aching and git out there ! Or do that lower-land spot that you told me about. Sheesk, you keep tossing out these amazing morsels of great-sounding spots, and then you keep coming up with excuses & reaons not to hunt them :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom