Lucked into permission

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I was inspecting a house foundation that sits near an old 1860’s travel route. I found a map that has a “stage house” on this route near this property so I started talking with the home owner about the stage house. He informs me that there was a toll bridge nearby the property until the 1920’s when a steel bridge was erected down river. Back to map sites I go when I got home. I find a map from 1883 that shows a bridge. It doesn’t say toll bridge but shows some dwellings and a post office. The home owner told me I’m welcome any time I want! The location is semi remote and the home owner has 5000 acres of property. The trick will be getting across the river where the dwellings and post office sat.

If it turns out to be brimming with seateds and gold coins, don't forget to invite your "favorite" buddies from CA . Yeah, yeah, we're brown-nosers, haha :laughing:

.... and post office sat.

Don't forget that, back then, the definition of a "post office", was not what we think of in today's terms. Back then it was often just someone's front porch, where a collection of neighbors gathered their mail from. So .... don't bother hitting it. Just kindly give me the GPS, and I will take care of it for you. Deal ? :laughing:

If it turns out to be brimming with seateds and gold coins, don't forget to invite your "favorite" buddies from CA . Yeah, yeah, we're brown-nosers, haha :laughing:

Would it be fair for CarsonChris to assume the standard 30% fees would be to his favor in this case? :laughing::laughing:;)

Roger

Would it be fair for CarsonChris to assume the standard 30% fees would be to his favor in this case? ....

If the site is on this side of the CA border, then he knows better than to refrain from sending me my 30%. Therefore I assume this site is on the NV side of the border. Tsk tsk :cool3:

If the site is on this side of the CA border, then he knows better than to refrain from sending me my 30%. Therefore I assume this site is on the NV side of the border. Tsk tsk :cool3:

It is a Nevada site. My 2 maps show slightly different things. First map 1877 and second 1883. 1877 doesn’t really show a bridge but the road is at the same location crossing the river. 1877 map has a house and barn a few thousand feet east of the bridge. 1883 map has the post office right at the bridge. The stage House is about a mile from the bridge. It’s noted in the 1877 map. The 1883 map has structures near the 1877 map. The stage house sits on a different ranch.

Interestingly I learned something from this home owner. The ranching community in the 1880’s in Nevada set a regulation for the rivers. If you owned both sides of a river the river became property negating the navigable waters act. This was done because the Chinese loggers would cut timber all winter long and stockpile it by the rivers waiting for spring runoff when they would float the timber down the river to the mills. Apparently the cattle ranchers were having cattle killed by the floating timber and had the laws changed to prevent the Chinese from floating the timber. That’s why this home owner controls this section of river in Nevada.

Yep, foundation inspection for a cantankerous older gentleman

Well then if I were you, I would announce that you need to "inspect his property" with your specialized metal detector equipment, as part of your building inspection work. If he questions you, just flash your Inspector badge, and tell him to leave you alone. In fact, insist that he bring you ice-tea, and dig your holes for you.

When are we gonna see pix of the seateds and gold coins ? ;)

Well then if I were you, I would announce that you need to "inspect his property" with your specialized metal detector equipment, as part of your building inspection work. If he questions you, just flash your Inspector badge, and tell him to leave you alone. In fact, insist that he bring you ice-tea, and dig your holes for you.

When are we gonna see pix of the seateds and gold coins ? ;)

More time for research than search time unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom