Charging the nox.

I know this tread is kinda old, but why should Minelab make Equinox buyers pay for something they already possess? If I'm like most people I got at least half a dozen chargers that I can plug a USB cord into.

I know this tread is kinda old, but why should Minelab make Equinox buyers pay for something they already possess? If I'm like most people I got at least half a dozen chargers that I can plug a USB cord into.
But if you use a charger that is not of good quality (ie Samsung or Apple) then you may have warranty issues. For $600+ you would think everything you need is in the box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I quit using USB 2A 5V chargers and went to power banks. The USB chargers would take so long that I worried I was overcharging my Equinox machines. The power bank has its own protection cutoff when the amperage gets low. Its source port is also 2A.

I quit using USB 2A 5V chargers and went to power banks. The USB chargers would take so long that I worried I was overcharging my Equinox machines. The power bank has its own protection cutoff when the amperage gets low. Its source port is also 2A.
That's what I'm using.

But if you use a charger that is not of good quality (ie Samsung or Apple) then you may have warranty issues. For $600+ you would think everything you need is in the box.

Use whatever you see fit to use. I've been using a Samsung phone charger from day one and will continue to so.

If they supplied a charger it would cost them more. Therefore it would cost the consumer more. Wow Minelab does a smart thing by making it compatible with phone chargers and alike and people complain it does not come with a charger when actually they were doing us a favor.

I thought I remember reading somewhere here that they might not send the charger because being an internationally sold machine, it eliminates them from dealing with the different voltage and plug configurations around the world where as the USB cables are universal. Makes good sense because Nokta Makro doesn’t send theirs out with chargers either. :?:

I thought I remember reading somewhere here that they might not send the charger because being an internationally sold machine, it eliminates them from dealing with the different voltage and plug configurations around the world where as the USB cables are universal. Makes good sense because Nokta Makro doesn’t send theirs out with chargers either. :?:
That makes sense! Thank you!

That makes sense! Thank you!

You’re welcome! I think any “quality” charger with the specified output rating will work. As long as you aren’t buying one of those neon colored ones at the gas station checkout you’ll probably be fine. :roll: I am not sure how Minelab does it, but I understand Apple controls charging via a chipset in the cable. I would not be surprised if Mineslab implements something similar in their cable so it’s probably unlikely you will overcharge it.

I’m using a Samsung like the one in this thread as well and it charges my NOX and WM08 just fine.

Forget about all the amp talk and look at it this way: Wall wart small device usb chargers weren't necessarily designed or tested for supplying continuous power for well over 4 hours. They could be junk or they could have sensitive thermal protection circuits. A computer USB port or other hardwired USB hub can do it, which is why Minelab says it's fine to use that option even though it could take all day. A 2 amp wall wart charger can get it done in under 4 hours if the detector is getting all 2 amps.

If you're using ANY wall/adapter charger and it's taking over 4 hours, then it's not a bad idea to check and make sure it's still charging and it's not getting warm. A 2 amp (total) wall wart charger shared with another device like the headphones could end up charging for well over 4 hours. But, the headphones will finish charging long before the detector, especially if they weren't fully depleted, and then the detector will get the full 2 amps and finish.

The problem with the 1 amp charger wall wart isn't the 1 amp....the batteries don't care....it's the fact that 1 amp will take that charger 8 or 9 hours to charge fully depleted batteries. That's likely way beyond the charging time of the original device and Minelab isn't going to assume all 1 amp chargers are up to the task, especially those chargers made for junk devices and toys. Some 1 amp chargers are probably fine, especially for just a couple of hours to give the batteries a boost.

If I was in a pinch and had to use a 1 amp charger, then I'd check on it to make sure it's not getting warm, and not do a full charge unless necessary.

Charging the headphones and detector on the same dual port 2 amp (shared) charger technically could create similar issues.

Indeed, I've charged my Equinox on whatever charger I had handy, including my computer USB, my car's 12v outlets, battery packs, and dual chargers that share 2amps with the headphones. I've never had an issue and my battery life is still like new after many cycles. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
That's what I'm using.

I have an Anker PowerCore II 10,000 mAh power bank that stays attached to the Detector in a pouch under the arm cuff. It has all kinds of surge protection, over charge protection, etc.. A great deal of the time I recharge my equinox off it, and just charge the bank when it gets drained down about half way. It really depends. Sometimes I just recharge the battery on the Equinox with the Samsung phone charger.

I have only let my Equinox battery ever fully discharge once. I always recharge even if I only use an hour or two. I think I have used my Nox way more than the average user does. I have noticed no battery degradation yet. It's a little over two years old now.

It's not the charger ... it's the battery. batteries are not all the same and have charging, discharging, capacity, and life time characteristics.

we don't know much about the battery in the equinox, so we have to go with what minelab suggests. they are providing guidelines for dealing with those batteries characteristics in the eqx, cause they were told what the battery is all about when they incorporated it.

the life, performance and safety of the battery will be found best with the battery manufacturers recommendations. we don't get those, we don't even know what type of rechargeable battery is in that handle (or may be we do, like a LiIon, NiMH, or a LI-PO, etc, etc).

but lets face it ... you can pretty much charge that battery with just about anything, including an apple (like used in a science project to power a clock) if you wanted to. but what I've found is that all batteries like a low and slow charge regardless if they can take occasional high and fast charges.

I think the chargers were recommended simply to reduce charging duration.

In the manual it says use a good charger 2a 5v which is fine or a Minelab unit. Then it says a laptop which will provide .5a at 5v which is the min standard for USB.

Now why on earth cant I use a 1.2a 5v charger? Or any mains powered charger that’s under 2A. I fully understand don’t use cheap chinease crud. My offical iPhone 7 one is 5v 1a plus as it’s work supplied we have dozens of these in the office.

I have several powerboard style ones that are like 2.4a total over 2 ports ect.

It will but it tasks forever. The 600/800 have a built in regular.
Some chargers have two USB output one 1.5 and one 2.0 amps. I put tape over the 1.5A so it can’t be used.
Better yet.
Harbor Freight has both AC and DC adapters and each has two 2A USB Outputs on each and both are 2A. For a reasonable price. For each.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom