• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1892 Barber Half in Great Condition

curious1

This was on the surface under a thin layer of sand, you could see the outline. So pumped about finding it!
cd3f2d072ddd3e744d60ff2152ea82e7.jpg
de881da986f2fe0e84a551bb4025530b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

:wow2: What an incredible find! The detail on that coin is remarkable!

Wow ! Still on my Bucket List after 35+ years detecting.
Looks like someone rubbed it after it was found and made fine scratches on the surface.

Last edited:
Wow ! Still on my Bucket List after 35+ years detecting.

Looks like someone rubbed it after it was found and made fine scratches on the surface.
Yeah, that someone was me being a bit excited and not thinking.

Wow that’s an incredible find!! Great shape for first year barber and especially a half. What kind of sand was this under? Like a beach? Usually those come out black.

Wow that’s an incredible find!! Great shape for first year barber and especially a half. What kind of sand was this under? Like a beach? Usually those come out black.
In the sand on the banks of the Mississippi. Not a beach but Rocky and Sandy

Wow

WOW, You don't find those very often. Way to go. You know it's been laying there a long time, just waiting for you to come along. I found a barber quarter on the banks of the Colorado River a few years back. I love rivers.
HH everyone

Yeah, that someone was me being a bit excited and not thinking.

Well, I figured as much, but didn't want to come right out and say it. I can see that the scratch marks are right at the date, and the same area on the reverse.

The grade appears to me to be around an XF-40 and would retail in the $225-235 range, minus the "dug condition/environmental damage" factors and minus the "wonder what date it is" scratches. :(

Next week, when you find another one, just wait till you get home till you rinse the dirt off the date... :thumbsup:

Yep, lesson learned. Hoping next week is the full silver dollar though!

May have been someones "lucky coin" carried in pocket in 20th century and lost not long ago?
Maybe? Of course im no geologist and this condition could be the medium it sat in for years. River sand, could have been very clean and void of most minerals. Interesting, super great find. HH

May have been someones "lucky coin" carried in pocket in 20th century and lost not long ago?

Maybe? Of course im no geologist and this condition could be the medium it sat in for years. River sand, could have been very clean and void of most minerals. Interesting, super great find. HH
Possible I guess, either way I'll take it!

Back
Top Bottom