(steam) Train experts...

007tallguy

Elite Member
hi all, i was at an old train station today obtaining permission to hunt the property and the man there thought i might know what this stuff was from.
i personally don't really know, but i told him that i would post some photos in the best place for possible answers.... right here!

alrighty, this non-metallic stuff really resembles pottery, but the texture is very coarse, almost like cement. in fact, one layer in the middle is cement colored. the red colored portion seems similar to "brick" material, the stuff is from something that was round in shape and it even seems to have been shellacked on both the inside and on the outside.
the smaller piece has a rounded edge, almost as if from an old bowl or clay pot, the larger piece is quite thick in comparison and might be from the bottom part of whatever it was.
one other possible clue, and this is where the "steam train" part comes in: pieces of this were found alongside an old coal storage shed at the train station. we're thinking maybe the old boilers were "lined" with a fire box made from this stuff? does anyone out there know trains and steam engines and did this come from one of them and where would it have been used in the engine?
any ideas in solving this mystery for us...??? that's a quarter in the photos for a size reference.

thanks,

Pete

Attachments

• June 2a 11 001.jpg
    June 2a 11 001.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 276
  • June 2a 11 002.jpg
    June 2a 11 002.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 281
  • June 2a 11 003.jpg
    June 2a 11 003.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 267
  • June 2a 11 004.jpg
    June 2a 11 004.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 272
Looks like a piece of spanish roof tile on the course right near the peak of the roof line.

SpanishTile.jpg

Looks like a piece of spanish roof tile on the course right near the peak of the roof line.

View attachment 98748

ok, that's definitely something to consider! :yes: i'll check into that and see if that roof ever had that kind of tile on it. (something tells me no, but anyway...)
that larger piece in my pics is close to 2 inches thick and pretty much all of the pieces that were found were located only by the coal storage shed and none was by the main station building. that's kind of why we were thinking it had something to do with the steam engine and possibly a liner in the fire box... similar to the chambers in modern day furnaces, but a much different type of material. the shellacked look could have been from heat. :?:

if that photo worked, the coal shed is the little one on the right and this mystery stuff was found only around that building. (some prime hunting grounds though!) ;) the actual rails are no longer there, but they were on the other side of the buildings.

Attachments

• 48chestermed.jpg
    48chestermed.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 271
Back
Top Bottom