picture frame??

007tallguy

Elite Member
i dug up this little item today and initially thought it was a belt buckle but am thinking different now.
i gave it a bit of a cleaning and it appears to be made of copper with the front enameled but no name visible anywhere on it. i'm thinking it might be a small picture frame? outside measurements are 2 1/4 by 2 3/4 inches.
and ideas?

Pete

Attachments

• dec262 004.jpg
    dec262 004.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 377
  • dec262 005.jpg
    dec262 005.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 377
  • dec262 006.jpg
    dec262 006.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 393
  • dec262 007.jpg
    dec262 007.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 388
  • dec262 008.jpg
    dec262 008.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 380
It looks like a buckle, but the hook should be facing the other direction.

i was thinking against it being a buckle because there's no wear on it (the outer edges) on the front or back and being copper, i think it would show some sort of wear from leather or some other material dragging over it. even the hook in the middle and that other piece on the end are copper.
also, it does bend quite easily and that enamel stuff would chip off rather quickly.... not to mention there's that big hole in the middle of it, haha! :lol:
unless something else is missing from it..... :?:

Neat find Pete. I'm leaning more towards a buckle too, but not a buckle with an actual use.

More like a decorative buckle, such as on a lady's BIG FLUFFY Hat! Or a shoulder bag. :grin:

Neat find Pete. I'm leaning more towards a buckle too, but not a buckle with an actual use.

More like a decorative buckle, such as on a lady's BIG FLUFFY Hat! Or a shoulder bag. :grin:

thanks! now those are the kinds of things i NEVER would have thought of. :wow:
but ya got me thinking now about the Titanic movie and that HUGE hat Miss Rose was wearing when they set sail, lol. that makes perfect sense to me and if it were something "decorative", it wouldn't be subjected to any wear. cool. :D

and sorry Silversmith, i was thinking "belts". ;)

Exactly! That's what I was thinking too... like Rose's hat. :yes:

So, still, it's a pretty "antique-y" find! Like early 1920's.

Exactly! That's what I was thinking too... like Rose's hat. :yes:

So, still, it's a pretty "antique-y" find! Like early 1920's.

yep, there's no doubt that it's old. i just noticed in my photos how much it looks like brass, but they were taken under a florescent light so the rich copper color doesn't show very good.
now... i might go plow some of that fresh snow off the back field and do a bit more swinging this aft, lol. we didn't get dumped on too bad here, just a couple inches of that heavy wet stuff and melting fast! it's already close to 40F (4C) and rising.

The reason I'm thinking it's early 1920's is because of the inlaid enamel.

Seems like we have a couple of "found" items with inlaid enamel from that period.

The reason I'm thinking it's early 1920's is because of the inlaid enamel.

Seems like we have a couple of "found" items with inlaid enamel from that period.

ok, thanks Carol. it's just too bad this one is bent and chipped but... maybe that's why it got tossed in the first place.

Pete

Cool buckle !

First thing I thought. But I wouldn't have realized that it may be a decorative hat buckle. Great find.
I'm still hanging in there. But, I'm getting tired of digging in the water for junk. :no: Oh well, practice x3 !
Marty

i'm quite sure this is a buckle.

in my oppinion the belt was at the rond ring (pict 2 right side)
the belt fastened in long wholes in stead of round, with the bend piece hooking in the width wholes.

the belt fastened in long wholes in stead of round, with the bend piece hooking in the width wholes.

or possibly to a metal loop on the other end of the belt. the thing that initially steered me away from it being a belt is that it's copper and there's no wear on it at all. but Carols' idea of it being of a "decorative" nature fits perfectly. :yes:

Pete

the model fits in what i meant, but then not fasten with a pin, but with this width thing in wide wholes...... why is an early one made of copper impossible?

o_GVCzTKe89eWb6FH.jpg

animal-ladies-ladies-animal-vintage-flower-belt-tan.jpg
adidas-Athletic-Performance-Leather-Belt---Black-36-_2010017055476.jpg

adidas-Athletic-Performance-Leather-Belt---White-34-_2010017055476.jpg

Back
Top Bottom