odd musical(?) reed

007tallguy

Elite Member
i dug this little do-flicky this afternoon.
i've seen and dug numerous harmonica and other kinds of reeds but never one quite like this! :?: did they make round harmonicas? if so, it would be quite the challenge to play! :lol:
it's brass, exactly 2 inches in diameter. ALL of the slots are 9/16ths of an inch and they all appear to be the same width and there's 9 of them. the little reed thingys were riveted on in the same manner as a harmonica reed. there's no visible writing on it that i can see and no other pieces found with it. :no:

anyone have any ideas as to what kind of instrument this might be from?
thanks in advance. :yes:

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG1798.jpg
    IMAG1798.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG1797.jpg
    IMAG1797.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 207
It sort of reminds me of something out of a meat grinder. My mother used to make her own sausage with an ancient meat grinder when I was growing up.

Doug

It sort of reminds me of something out of a meat grinder. My mother used to make her own sausage with an ancient meat grinder when I was growing up.

Doug

that's what i thought it was at first, but when i looked at it closer, i could see the remnants of the reeds and the rivets still in place (2nd pic).

I can't believe I was away from the computer and missed this one. I agree with Doug that its from a pitch pipe. The Kratt pitch pipe has been around for a long time. I have several here at my house. Here is a pic of one. In my days of singing Ina quartet, I never left home without it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369875184.915937.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369875204.868538.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369875240.979762.jpg

Back
Top Bottom