Day 4 at the old Ballfield - Silver at Second!

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
OK, so it's been four straight days at the old ballfield, and each day has been a lot of enjoyment. Thanks for putting up with all of my postings.

The first three days at the ballfield were afternoon hunts, but today was a morning visit. It happens to be my birthday, and my wife had an early dentist appointment, so, I told her I'd go out for a little morning birthday detecting while she saw the dentist, and then we'd have the afternoon and evening together. Nice plan!

I get out there at 9:30 am, and it's 37 degrees again, but at this point, I'm used to sub 40 detecting...I get the Legend setup in Park, SF 4kHz mode again, with lowered Recovery and IF settings, post-conversation with Digalicious the other day. I have spent a lot of time the last 3 days in the outfield, so today, I focused the beginning part of the hunt around the baseline, and that was a home run. Less than 15 minutes in, I get a really good 51 signal, and make the dig. About 5-6 inches down, I am seeing the silver. That is a great feeling. Out it comes, and I'm looking at a '43 Washington in nice shape.

Did some more hunting around second and third, and pick up some more clad. I was not finding a lot of junk, but last night, we had rain, and despite hitting the silver Washington, I felt like the SF was being a little touchy, so I decided to switch modes to Park M1, and see how that would respond. I would say that was a great choice.

As soon as I switch modes, and balance the Legend, I start hitting signals left and right. I can still see many of the marks where I've hand dug the past three days (even though I carefully refill and cover), but I am getting good signals literally right next to holes I've already made the last few days. Anyway, I am pulling out a lot of common pennies, and nickels and dimes, but find luck with two wheats, a 1940 and a 1946. So, feeling even better with three decent coins.

I move out to left center field, just past second base, and have a crappy, bouncy 47-ish signal, but it's just not very good. I decide to dig it, and I continue to dig. This coin was down as far as my had tool is long, which explains why the signal was not very consistent. I pull out scoops, and see some silver in the dirt, and commence to do another happy dance. What I got this time was a '42 Mercury Dime, in even better shape than the Washington. I continued around the shallow outfield for another 30 minutes, picking up more coins along the way. But since it was 11:30, it was time to shut down and head home to wifey.

I would up with another 49 coins today, with two silvers and two wheats. Over the past four days, I've pulled 228 coins out of this old ballfield. There is more to find. These two silvers now get me up to 33 for the year, and I blew past my hopeful goal of 2,000 coins for the year, with a comfortable 2,018 as of today.

I've had the new Legend less than a month, and I have been detecting almost every day with it. I know there are plenty of excellent detectors available that others swear by, but my personal experience has only been with Teknetics, and my Simplex and now the Legend. I've nailed more than 500 coins in the last 3 weeks with this detector, and really feel like it is giving me very strong performance. I loved the Simplex, and I love this Legend even more. I am happy I made the purchase.

Attachments

• 1943 Washington Dirty Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1943 Washington Dirty Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 1942 Merc in Dirt 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1942 Merc in Dirt 01 Dec 22.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 1942 Merc Dirty Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1942 Merc Dirty Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 1942 Merc Dirty Back 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1942 Merc Dirty Back 01 Dec 22.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 1942 Merc 1943 Wash Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1942 Merc 1943 Wash Front 01 Dec 22.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 1942 Merc 1943 Wash Back 01 Dec 22.jpg
    1942 Merc 1943 Wash Back 01 Dec 22.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Coin and Junk Finds 01 Dec 22.jpg
    Coin and Junk Finds 01 Dec 22.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 175
Happy b-day. Looks like you are reaping the rewards of the deadly combo of lots of time invested + great location.

Happy b-day. Looks like you are reaping the rewards of the deadly combo of lots of time invested + great location.

For sure. I went back again today. It was raining on/off for a good part of the morning, but temp was up to 50. Got out at the ballfield for another 3 hours. Picked up another 51 coins total, including 1914, 1945, 1952D and 1955 wheats, and scored another 1943P War Nickel. That makes a total of 7 silver coins and a silver religious medallion from the field, plus 24 wheats, and a Buff Nickel. Overall, I took 299 coins from the old field over 5 days. I probably spent 14 hours total walking around the field. It was a lot of time, but since I'm retired, and enjoyed each hunt, the time was well spent.

Attachments

• 1943P War Nickel and Wheats 03 Dec 22.jpg
    1943P War Nickel and Wheats 03 Dec 22.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom