Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Supporter

Default Nox and deus head to head..

Heres a video of the Nox and Deus head to head... The Nox has replaced my 11 inch Deus coil. Will it replace my 9 inch HF coil?

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Elite Member

A good video.

A few things.
A person can't equate reactivty settings when talking Deus vs Equinox unless they specify detector modes and freq used on each.

For example using 11" DD doil on Deus 2 reactivty 18khz Doesn't equate to equinox park 2 speed 7. In this case here Nox is faster. Or maybe said a better way Nox outperforms on separation and unmasking test using.

Different coil sizes when compared can give one detector the advantage.

Using field 2 mode in polluted sites will bring Nos performance closer to Deus and HF doil performance. Actually Deus user may miss a find due to freq used ( depending on detecting scenario) where a Nox user will in fact detect.

Even the Nox with bigger doil cs the 9" HF coil, there Will be targets the Nox hits and the Deus won't hit. Due to coil winding arrangement.

Field 2 is a higher freq weighted system. And will sniff out things better and some detected park 2 may whiff on or give very borderline signal like chopped and a person may indeed walk.
Both setups are good.
And I have both and don't plan on getting rid of either.

Using 54khz on Deus can be depth limited too moreso Nox.

Lots of variables on targets. So actual infield reaults can vary somewhat.

But the Nox with big ole 11" DD coil does well for its size.

The smaller 6" coil won't solve all problems or equations the 11" coil can't either. Will solve some though.
And the 6" coil will no doubt find some things the Deus won't with any coil,used currently available.

Nox hunter can hunt behind a site where Deus user has only used 14khz and 28 kHz for sure. I have done and been successful, and actually did head to heads on these Nox located targets, sure enough using 14 kHz and 28khz was a bust here on these located targets with deus. Using higher freq bands on Deus did bring some of the targets to light though. Not all.

I would try using field 2 some in my sites hunting with my Deus bud and see what happens.

The elliptical HF coil will hit things neither Nox with 11" coil,won't or Deus and round HF 9" coil will.

But this don't make the Nox or Deus with round HF doil bad or anything, or make the elliptical HF doil the end all either.

Personally knowing what I know.
A real good site for relics with lots of iron.
I would hunt with using Deus and all HF coils, Nox and 11" coil and 6" when it comes out, and a Nokta impact with football coil at 20khz.
After that really site might could be considered more or less dead.
Would need muliple hunts though using same coil and different.
Maybe the deep tech gold gain with 11" DD doil might sneak something else out Imdon't know for sure.
There could be gaps where even a bigger coil like for Nox or fbs unit might latch onto a target.
But the above right now is what it would take for me to declare a site depleted mostly.

At least until some thing else better comes along.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 04-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:05 PM
Supporter

Nox is a performer no doubt . The 11 inch coil performs well in iron too. I sold my Deus 11 lf and the Nox has taken its place. When the 6 inch gets here it will be interesting to see what happens. I will be using both detectors in arsenal from now on. Unless something better comes along. If I had to choose just one for iron though it would be the deus at this time but that might change when the 6 inch coil gets here.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
Nox is a performer no doubt . The 11 inch coil performs well in iron too. I sold my Deus 11 lf and the Nox has taken its place. When the 6 inch gets here it will be interesting to see what happens. I will be using both detectors in arsenal from now on. Unless something better comes along. If I had to choose just one for iron though it would be the deus at this time but that might change when the 6 inch coil gets here.
Gold 1(prospecting) mode.
You might test it.
It likes to flaw on iron though with low iron bias setting.
Try testing with nails and some CW buttons and nails.

I will be sharing some info here in a different thread with some pics.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 04-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Elite Member

Calabash, I really enjoy your videos. You're not afraid to call it like you see it, even when you see it differently that before. I would like to see a like to like coil size though. 9" v 11" in and of itself could be the difference. The Deus does seem to have the nod in heavy iron, which is supposed to be its strong point. Still, a 900.00 detector vs a 1200 detector and the 900 is otherwise on par or better to my eyes then that's a good deal. If you consider similar results from the $650.00 600, it feels like an even better buy.

BCD

Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM

Good video, gets you thinking for sure.

Wonder what would happen if you put the Nox in 40 KHz and did the same test. Would the results be different? Maybe you already tried that but the results were the same.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Supporter

Nox is a performer no doubt and has a place in my arsenal ....

Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 PM
Supporter

Great video! I will try that with the NOX in 40 single to see how it does, i was wondering how or even if multi had any effect on the outcome. What do you think the Deus with 11 inch to 11 inch coil on the nox would have done? Been thinking about getting me another Deus with the 9 inch hf elliptical coil for some testing myself. I hope someone releases a 8 or 9 inch coil for the NOX and not just a 6 inch.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:32 AM
Supporter

I don't know wish I had me 11 back to try it.I think the magic is in the multi but we can test it and see..
Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
Great video! I will try that with the NOX in 40 single to see how it does, i was wondering how or even if multi had any effect on the outcome. What do you think the Deus with 11 inch to 11 inch coil on the nox would have done? Been thinking about getting me another Deus with the 9 inch hf elliptical coil for some testing myself. I hope someone releases a 8 or 9 inch coil for the NOX and not just a 6 inch.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Impressive tests CD. I chose to keep my Deus and together with the EQ I believe I have the perfect pair.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Let's add this test here. I think it shows something very worthy.

First a pic.

Imagine your find of a lifetime laying where the dime is, in respect to the nail buried. In the same configuration.

Could you ever detect it?

Well,
I have compared some detectors, and thought I would share with you the results.

First let me say the top of the nail is towering approx 2" above dime's plane where it is sitting in pic.

First up Nokta Impact and 4x7" coil.
No cigar, it will not give me nothing tonally to investigate to tell me a nonferrous target is possibly lurking.

Deus round HF coil.
Using a disc of 6 and pitch tones reactivty 3 gives a real signal all the down to the coil barely clearing nail and with decent coil height as well,,but freqs 28.8 kHz and 54khz or let's say the middle and lower bands mandatory to get the results I said above. Using 14.4khz some doil height above nail must be had before any tone is gotten. Basically here the middle and highest frequency band kick booty vs lowest band.

Deus and 11" DD coil.
It behaves as I stated above as far as using round HF coil and lowest bacon selected 14.4khz, but using this particle coil 18khz mandatory.

Deus and elliptical HF coil.
I have to amend here somewhat as far as this particular coil.
Running disc 6 and pitch tones does give tone. One problem a user would normally have a hard time running disc this low in a site with nails and iron. A setting of 7 disc wise is generally IMO where a person would wind up as far as using in anything besides full tones, tone selection wise. At disc of 7, lowest and mid band freqs gives no tone on the dime, using 74 kHz does give some indication of a possible nonferrous lurking.

Equinox with stock 11" DD coil.
Using both field 2 and park 2, stock disc speed 7, it behaves a lot like the Deus wearing 11" LF coil dialed to 18khz.
You must have some coil height above nail to get a signal. There is a span of detection height wise is what I am saying here.

Etrac with stock coil.
No cigar. User is SOL!!

Can the example (scenario) in the pic exist in the field in the wild??
You better believe it!!!!

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 04-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.