Beware Detecting Doodads

Bradb72

PSA

Beware of doing business with Detecting Doodads. I placed an order 3 weeks ago and paid for priority shipping. After a week of no tracking info(or any communication at all), I sent a message inquiring about my order. No response. Sent several more messages thru his website, thru Facebook and via his email..no response. After 2 weeks I opened a dispute via PayPal and sent messages that way..no response. I then began digging the internet for a phone number. I found one, went to a metal detecting shop that is not affiliated with him but close to his location, and they had several stories to tell about people having the same issue I was. I then found info on a forum about several people having the same issue. Still digging I located a number and called, it was his wife. She was very nice and listened, assured me she would have him call me. I texted her the next day when I hadn't heard from him and told her I would call the sheriffs office(yes, I know I had no case), within 1 min he messaged thru PayPal saying he would ship this week and would give me a 50% refund plus shipping. I told him thanks for reaching out, that all I wanted was the items I had paid for.
Well, still no tracking info or communication. So I text his wife apologizing for having to involve her and tell her I will be calling authorities Friday morning if I haven't gotten tracking info, I didn't want the 50% refund, just send me the products. 5 minutes later, a refund from PayPal for purchase amount and my order canceled.

Complete scam artist and not much of a man in my opinion. Another dude is texting your wife and you don't have the guts to take over the conversation.
Just don't want anyone else going thru the same.

If you have, message me and I'll gladly share the number so you can hopefully get it resolved.

This falls under Mail Fraud, USPS has a link on their website to file a claim. I had to do this once on something I tried to purchase. It took a while but they did deal with it and I did eventually get my money back. GOOD LUCK with this.

:cool:

This person has fallen behind on orders before. I have no doubt you will get your stuff but not in the timeline you would like.

On another note [not to buy] The quality of the infill plastic is poor, coil supports especially. It would be wise to buy from other sources!

U bought one of thes XP coil charger it died right after I got it I also tried to reach him NO respond back .. Very lousy dealing with him / website

I use the doodad charger for the xp deus charger all the time. Sometimes my light will not go into the blink mode. could it be faulty coil or doodad ?

I ordered the charging clip from him and also paid for fast shipping. Same thing… Weeks passed by and I never received a tracking number. I tried reaching out to him.. No reply. I was starting to wonder if I had been scammed, but eventually I got an email with a tracking number and a partial refund. Not a very good experience, however, after I finally received the charging clip, I was glad I placed the order. Works much better than the OEM clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the charging clip from him and also paid for fast shipping. Same thing… Weeks passed by and I never received a tracking number. I tried reaching out to him.. No reply. I was starting to wonder if I had been scammed, but eventually I got an email with a tracking number and a partial refund. Not a very good experience, however, after I finally received the charging clip, I was glad I placed the order. Works much better than the OEM clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is still unacceptable IMO.

I have bought a couple things from him and never had an issue, one man shop, likely hard to keep up sometime.

that guy would never make it as an Amazon seller. They would have canceled his seller account on the second complaint.

Amazon holds their seller's feet to the fire with their very tough metrics system.

that guy would never make it as an Amazon seller. They would have canceled his seller account on the second complaint.

Amazon holds their seller's feet to the fire with their very tough metrics system.

Yeah sounds like torture. However I like buying from the big A.

Got my stuff from them in a week with a thank you note and email.. No complaints here.
Guessing hes a one man show or very small company so probably can get behind easy plus life can get in the way if your young have kids etc.
My charger has worked flawlessly so far.

This topic came up in a separate forum thread (read it here), so I thought I would repost my same thoughts here in case it helps someone else:

The merchant really needs to disable his web store if he’s falling so far behind on orders that the same complaint is persisting across several months and he’s not responding or communicating in any way during that time. Sure, life gets in the way for all of us and interferes with activities and tasks, but when you’re collecting money from the general public for promised goods and services on-line, a seller has clearly defined regulations to follow to avoid violating the law. What’s happening with Don Botting and his Detecting Doodads business isn’t fraud (as someone suggested above), because I doubt there is a designed intent to scam people - this was a legitimate business, though he did claim it was a one man show and a side-business to his full time profession when he was making the rounds on the metal detecting podcast circuit a few years ago. Judging by the interactions that the OP posted above, it doesn’t seem like he’s experienced a health emergency. All that said, his failure to deliver coupled with the lack of communication is a fundamental violation of FTC regulations if it has been over 30-days since orders were placed, and can carry some stiff penalties if someone chose to pursue action:

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidan...-internet-or-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-435

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/do...51-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules.pdf

Never delt with this place. But if it is run on a shoestring I can see where things could get balled up and late. But to be honest, if they want to stay in business, they need to communicate better. I'll buy from Amazon as well.

Yeah sounds like torture. However I like buying from the big A.
I love buying from Amazon. When you buy on am eBay auction the buyers are bidding up the price. When you buy on Amazon the sellers are lowering the price to get your business kind of like a reverse auction.

Amazon made it mandatory that you provide the tracking number at time of shipping years ago. My software could not do that. After 5 order without a tracking number they canceled my account. It took me a month of begging to get it back and proving my software would provide the tracking number. My software company contact that provided me with the Amazon Inventory and shipping software told me begging is the only way to get your canceled account restated. He was right.

Amazon does not suffer at all canceling a seller's account or a hundred seller accounts. But losing a customer and getting bad feedback is not something that they want to happen.

Back
Top Bottom