• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Has Anyone Experienced Serratus Anterior Pain (Ribs) From Swinging?

medicchief

Forum Supporter
I spent several hours (longest to date) swinging my Nox 800 last week and have developed Serratus Anterior pain. This muscle attaches to your ribs (inline with the liver) and scapula and is used to rotate (sweep) your arm/shoulder form left to right. The pain is external, where the muscle attaches to the ribs and tender to the touch. The pain isn't constant and has decreased, but I have also stopped detecting since it started. I'm 60 years old and it's very frustrating, to say the least. The ergonomics of the Nox handle doesn't help....Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Absolutely! When it happens to me it’s on the OPPOSITE side...my left ribs hurt as I swing right handed! What to do? Make SURE that your arm cuff is snug and swing from your ELBOW...and shorten your swings. Don’t hit a site where you’re swinging long periods between targets...that is a KILLER. Just let it rest before you go out again...AND...swinging with the opposite hand helps a great deal.

This Sport demands total musculature strength/balance practices! ..Properly done, You should not feel any undue exertion or pain in any one point...its a study in ergonomics! Lots of kinesiology misconceptions out there....

Some real doctors when questioned will contend that the 'strongest muscle' on the Human body is the Heart, but as Homer Simpson once challenged, "The heart? I thought it was the weener? I seen a guy on youtube lift a bucket of paint with his!" Well, be that as it may, we cant go outdoors swinging our weeners around with a metal detector attached, as awesome as that would be, we got enough of a bad reputation as it is, so its just not prudent...

So there you go..all sorts of theories out there...The "7min Abs" Workout video may help you, Google it....

Myself, I use my Gluteus Maximus muscles for most things, not only to hold my pants up, but for a lot of things, just getting out of bed in the morning they come in handy...For Detecting, I sort of lightly grip my rig in my tiny little shriveled T-Rex arm, keeping my elbow tucked in tight, and develop a steady and comfortable full body swing utilizing total body momentum moreso than strength..I rock from side to side wide legged staggering like a Sailor on shore leave......

You gotta concentrate and develop a comfortable ergonomic process that works for you...The NOX is topheavy, making a guy want to really get a grip, but that force translates through your wrist and up your arm and down into your sternum and into your thoractics detrimentally... just dont grip it so tight, just your thumb and forefinger, as if its a pencil...cuff the top if you want, let the whole thing roll over, but concentrate on a form where you dont even know you have a detector in hand....its your grip and style thats doing this to you...

FWIW, I can also lift a bucket of paint with my weener...but I bend at the knees and lift with my legs! :laughing:

Absolutely! When it happens to me it’s on the OPPOSITE side...my left ribs hurt as I swing right handed! What to do? Make SURE that your arm cuff is snug and swing from your ELBOW...and shorten your swings. Don’t hit a site where you’re swinging long periods between targets...that is a KILLER. Just let it rest before you go out again...AND...swinging with the opposite hand helps a great deal.

Thank you! I am bad about making several swings, extending my reach each time before stepping forward. In other words, swinging my arm and torso more. I don't use an arm strap either....which doesn't help. I just don't like the hassle of a strap, when I put the detector down.

This Sport demands total musculature strength/balance practices! ..Properly done, You should not feel any undue exertion or pain in any one point...its a study in ergonomics! Lots of kinesiology misconceptions out there....

Some real doctors when questioned will contend that the 'strongest muscle' on the Human body is the Heart, but as Homer Simpson once challenged, "The heart? I thought it was the weener? I seen a guy on youtube lift a bucket of paint with his!" Well, be that as it may, we cant go outdoors swinging our weeners around with a metal detector attached, as awesome as that would be, we got enough of a bad reputation as it is, so its just not prudent...

So there you go..all sorts of theories out there...The "7min Abs" Workout video may help you, Google it....

Myself, I use my Gluteus Maximus muscles for most things, not only to hold my pants up, but for a lot of things, just getting out of bed in the morning they come in handy...For Detecting, I sort of lightly grip my rig in my tiny little shriveled T-Rex arm, keeping my elbow tucked in tight, and develop a steady and comfortable full body swing utilizing total body momentum moreso than strength..I rock from side to side wide legged staggering like a Sailor on shore leave......

You gotta concentrate and develop a comfortable ergonomic process that works for you...The NOX is topheavy, making a guy want to really get a grip, but that force translates through your wrist and up your arm and down into your sternum and into your thoractics detrimentally... just dont grip it so tight, just your thumb and forefinger, as if its a pencil...cuff the top if you want, let the whole thing roll over, but concentrate on a form where you dont even know you have a detector in hand....its your grip and style thats doing this to you...

FWIW, I can also lift a bucket of paint with my weener...but I bend at the knees and lift with my legs! :laughing:

Lol....maybe TMI:laughing: Your 5th paragraph makes a lot of sense. The pain kind of freaked me out at first....almost like I had broken a rib! Thanks for your input!

Edit: I read more on proper swinging and will start swinging less to my left side (right handed). More like from 11-3 o'clock now, instead of 9-3 o'clock. I'll also take more steps instead of reaching. Funny, I've been detecting for nearly 10 years without an issue.....lol.

Last edited:
I've read quite a few threads on using the arm cuff, but I just don't grok the usefulness of doing so. However, here lately, that inner bump on my swinging arm elbow is very painful. Like, hurts to touch it, even. I ignore it while I'm beeping, but can't ignore it when I'm not, because it hurts pretty badly. Been thinking about getting one of those harnesses, but I'm self-conscious and don't want to look like more of a dork than I do now. Or at least more dorky than I imagine myself looking...

I've read quite a few threads on using the arm cuff, but I just don't grok the usefulness of doing so. However, here lately, that inner bump on my swinging arm elbow is very painful. Like, hurts to touch it, even. I ignore it while I'm beeping, but can't ignore it when I'm not, because it hurts pretty badly. Been thinking about getting one of those harnesses, but I'm self-conscious and don't want to look like more of a dork than I do now. Or at least more dorky than I imagine myself looking...

I experienced the same thing last fall. The medical term is medial epicondylitis. It's also considered golfers elbow, which is the opposite side of the elbow compared to what is known as tennis elbow. Mine hurt for a month or so and tender to the touch as well....no problems here lately. I wore an elastic pressure wrap, similar to the tennis elbow wrap, but I wore it on the inner epicondyle. It seems like the older I get, the more something is always hurting:roll:

Last edited:
I don't use an arm strap either....which doesn't help. I just don't like the hassle of a strap, when I put the detector down.

The first mod I did on my equinox was padding in the arm cuff. There was excessive play/slop/movement where my forearm was, within the cuff. I think that forced a tighter grip. I know it soon became uncomfortable and irritating, compared to the older White's I was used to. After filling in the cuff with padding, and adjusting the strap, I could swing the detector with a very light hand grip. This helped a lot. Use the strap to eliminate cuff/arm slop while swinging. Then lighten your grip. Getting your arm in and out becomes easier with practice. Very much worth it in my opinion.

Sometimes, your tangents are better than the point your trying to make! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I experienced the same thing last fall. The medical term is medial epicondylitis. It's also considered golfers elbow, which is the opposite side of the elbow compared to what is known as tennis elbow. Mine hurt for a month or so and tender to the touch as well....no problems here lately. I wore an elastic pressure wrap, similar to the tennis elbow wrap, but I wore it on the inner epicondyle. It seems like the older I get, the more something is always hurting:roll:

Thanks for this, Chief. Do you have a suggestion for the compression wrap? I checked Amazon, but there are so many options that I'm overwhelmed. It's really annoying, because I beep a lot, but no more than I did 8-9 months ago. No idea why this has become an issue lately.

The first mod I did on my equinox was padding in the arm cuff. There was excessive play/slop/movement where my forearm was, within the cuff. I think that forced a tighter grip. I know it soon became uncomfortable and irritating, compared to the older White's I was used to. After filling in the cuff with padding, and adjusting the strap, I could swing the detector with a very light hand grip. This helped a lot. Use the strap to eliminate cuff/arm slop while swinging. Then lighten your grip. Getting your arm in and out becomes easier with practice. Very much worth it in my opinion.

Thank you, and I'll try this. I have never considered that extra movement important, but it apparently is, because my elbow is trashed. I'll let you know if using the cuff makes a difference.

Thanks for this, Chief. Do you have a suggestion for the compression wrap? I checked Amazon, but there are so many options that I'm overwhelmed. It's really annoying, because I beep a lot, but no more than I did 8-9 months ago. No idea why this has become an issue lately.

Mine just seemed to show up from nowhere....Anyway, you could just use a short elastic wrap to apply pressure/support. Sorry to say it, but not stressing it at all is the best way for it to heal faster. Your inward swing is straining it....slow your transition from swinging outward, to returning inward. Avoid any area that has any resistance to your swing, such as brush or tall grass, anything that would snag or create resistance to your inward swing. That is the worst thing you can do.....which you probably already know how painful that is. One other thing, make sure your cuff is out nearly to your elbow. If your cuff is fitting around your forearm, it's adding stress to the tendon attachments. Unfortunately medial epicondylitis is slow to heal....up to months. See a doctor if you don't notice any improvement after giving it at least a week or 2 of rest, no detecting....:roll:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I have "short" comings in the paint bucket lifting competition area. I can't seem to be able to get a grip.

I'm happy to say that this is my 37th year detecting, I'm 73 years old, and have NEVER had to deal with the problem you mention. Hopefully I never will.

I just wanted to pop in here, and toss in some thoughts. Obviously, wrist/arm/shoulder pain -- and even pain into the back muscles, is NOT uncommon with the Equinox. Even though the EQX is as light as it is, it is VERY nose-heavy, relatively speaking -- think blob of weight (coil) out at the end of a long lever (shaft). Gravity is acting on the coil, using leverage (your shaft's length) to its advantage. And with essentially ZERO weight in the "butt end" of the Equinox, this therefore requiring YOU, the user, to exert ALL of the equal-but-opposite force that is necessary to keep the coil hovering properly above the ground (using your arm/wrist/shoulder/back muscles). And the problem is, you do NOT have "leverage" to your advantage (like the coil does)! You are NOT applying this "counter-force" at the end of a long lever (like the coil is), but instead, you are applying this force at the HANDLE -- which is essentially right at the "fulcrum" of this long "lever." Thus, the amount of force YOU have to exert, to counter the coil's downward force, is much more difficult/multiplied.

What can HELP, is a counterweight -- in other words, some weighting that can help to counteract the coil's leveraged weight (instead of forcing your own muscles to do the work). Placing weight off the butt-end of the shaft -- where the leverage effect can be utilized by the counterweight itself -- reduces the amount of counter-force you must apply with your arm/wrist/shoulder muscles. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to ADD weight to a light machine, in order to make it feel BETTER, but -- adding the right amount of weight, in the right place, really CAN make a HUGE difference.

For what it's worth, this is why I designed a counterweight system as an optional addition to the carbon-fiber Equinox shafts that I sell. While a "DIY" counterweighting system can work just fine, I have one available that customers have been VERY happy with; many are quite surprised to feel just how much better the Equinox swings, with counterweighting applied. I have both the shafts, and the counterweights, for sale here on the forum. Please let me know if you are interested in a purchase, OR even if you would simply like information about counterweighting, or my company in general

Thanks!

Steve

I just wanted to pop in here, and toss in some thoughts. Obviously, wrist/arm/shoulder pain -- and even pain into the back muscles, is NOT uncommon with the Equinox. Even though the EQX is as light as it is, it is VERY nose-heavy, relatively speaking -- think blob of weight (coil) out at the end of a long lever (shaft). Gravity is acting on the coil, using leverage (your shaft's length) to its advantage. And with essentially ZERO weight in the "butt end" of the Equinox, this therefore requiring YOU, the user, to exert ALL of the equal-but-opposite force that is necessary to keep the coil hovering properly above the ground (using your arm/wrist/shoulder/back muscles). And the problem is, you do NOT have "leverage" to your advantage (like the coil does)! You are NOT applying this "counter-force" at the end of a long lever (like the coil is), but instead, you are applying this force at the HANDLE -- which is essentially right at the "fulcrum" of this long "lever." Thus, the amount of force YOU have to exert, to counter the coil's downward force, is much more difficult/multiplied.

What can HELP, is a counterweight -- in other words, some weighting that can help to counteract the coil's leveraged weight (instead of forcing your own muscles to do the work). Placing weight off the butt-end of the shaft -- where the leverage effect can be utilized by the counterweight itself -- reduces the amount of counter-force you must apply with your arm/wrist/shoulder muscles. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to ADD weight to a light machine, in order to make it feel BETTER, but -- adding the right amount of weight, in the right place, really CAN make a HUGE difference.

Steve

Boils down to balance.
F75 with aluminum arm cuff that you can tighten to your arm, batterys under it and light coil is hard to beat.
Most Whites regardless of weight are balanced as are the nokta cores.
Now that the weather is finally good and I can get out detecting my back went out and i have a bulging disc. When ever i bend it feels like hot needles stabbing into me. Popped a pain pill (ok two) and it was ok until i got home. Sucks getting old.

Mine just seemed to show up from nowhere....Anyway, you could just use a short elastic wrap to apply pressure/support. Sorry to say it, but not stressing it at all is the best way for it to heal faster. Your inward swing is straining it....slow your transition from swinging outward, to returning inward. Avoid any area that has any resistance to your swing, such as brush or tall grass, anything that would snag or create resistance to your inward swing. That is the worst thing you can do.....which you probably already know how painful that is. One other thing, make sure your cuff is out nearly to your elbow. If your cuff is fitting around your forearm, it's adding stress to the tendon attachments. Unfortunately medial epicondylitis is slow to heal....up to months. See a doctor if you don't notice any improvement after giving it at least a week or 2 of rest, no detecting....:roll:

Thanks for this info, Chief. I have a compression doohickey on its way. It only hurts when I'm not swinging the coil...but most of my time is spent NOT beeping, so I'll try anything (within reason!) to make the pain be bearable.

Back
Top Bottom