Blame Ohioans for the pull tab.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I came across this video today posted by digging with seven. He tells the history of the modern-day pull tab. Pretty interesting on the evolution of the pull tab hope you enjoy the video

https://youtu.be/fqL3zkv6et0

Those 1962-65 pull tabs are a rare find. I've actually saved the ones I've found over the past 6 years. Sad, but true. Here they are:

Attachments

• DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 205
Those 1962-65 pull tabs are a rare find. I've actually saved the ones I've found over the past 6 years. Sad, but true. Here they are:

I found one of those the other day. Not knowing what it was, I tossed it in my trash bag. It's gone to the dump now, but had I known what it was, I would have kept it. Though it is trash... At least it is interesting trash.

Last night after the third hit registered as a nickel I bet my kid it was a pull tab...I won every time....

I'm a Yooper native, don't blame me either, I only live here since my wife is not fond of 300 inches of snow every year.

Pulltabs are our friends! They are like little historical trail markers! Us inland Waterbabies get pretty excited when those mid 60's tabs show up in the scoop!

Those years were the Gold wearing years and the tab says 'Nobody has EVER swung a coil in here!' So its a great post regarding makes and ages of the pulltab...

Besides the water hunters, they are extremely helpful for a guy to decide what to focus on in a park or sportsfield or curbstrip even....lots of early tabs but no silver? Focus on digging the Gold tones...

Pulltabs are important reference signals for how to hunt and age a place and its Human activity level at a certain point in time....

I'm Teflon on this too. Not sticking the blame on me:lol:
The ironic thing about the pull tabs is that the beaver tails as we call them, we're replaced with the current type we have now that is designed to stay with the can. The old beaver tails were like little hidden razor blades in the grass when popped of the can and discarded. Shows how stupid humans are that they still remove the tab when it's meant to stay with can.:no: Blame the morons that remove the tab that is not meant to be removed:yes:

FBT, at a local sand dune near me, I can find any number of the 1st style Zip Tabs to this day. Looks like we are the Zip Tap Capital of the USA!:lol:

Here's 2 cans I found there:

Attachments

• tab a.jpg
    tab a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 126
  • tab b.jpg
    tab b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 130
I'm glad that y'all enjoyed that clip. I was born in Michigan and grew up the majority of my life in Arizona. So I am not to blame either.

Back
Top Bottom