Minelab Equinox 800 Random USB Question

EightInchesDeep

Hey all,

Could someone do me a favor and plugin their Nox 800 (not the 600) in to their Windows 10 computer and let me know what it shows in the Device Manager it?

Specifically, if you open the Device Manager, go to the 'Human Interface Devices' section in the tree, expand it, double click 'USB Input Device", and on the 'Details' tab, choose "Device Instance Path" for the property. I am after that value that shows up.

See the attached image. This is for the 600.

Thanks,
EiD

Attachments

• usb.info.jpg
    usb.info.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 323
Thanks! That is the 800, right?

I'm actually a little surprised that it is the same as the 600. I guess, as far as the host is concerned, this is simply an "Equinox"

You can probably guess as to what I am looking in to :)

Thanks! That is the 800, right?

I'm actually a little surprised that it is the same as the 600. I guess, as far as the host is concerned, this is simply an "Equinox"

You can probably guess as to what I am looking in to :)

Yep, it's an 800...it's not really that surprising, as everything is REALLY the same other than some features being turned on in the 800 that aren't on the 600.

I hope that you're looking into what I think you're looking into :)

I was told the circuit boards are identical and the only real difference physically is the case on the 600 covers the user profile button. The only difference is the firmware, but I was told that even Minelab cannot load 800 firmware on a 600 (or vice versa). The initial firmware blows a soft fuse that locks the device as a specific model.

I don't know if the above is true but it's what I was told by someone that should know. But it wouldn't be too hard to hijack the 800 firmware with a packet sniffer and try and load it on the 600. Someone may have already tried. I have the 800 so I have no cause to investigate further.

-Joe

Rest assured that ye shall receive the biggest of repair bills should something go upside down...and without express permission to “finesse” things there might be intellectual property issues which arise.
Watching with baited eyeballs...

The 600 does everything I need as well. It isn't about wanting an 800. It is about "tinkering."

It isn't illegal to "jailbreak" a device and the courts have said so. I am just curious by nature and like to just see if I can do these kind of things.

I was able to get the 800 firmware loaded on to a 600, but get an "Error 50" when it restarts.

As for a large repair bill, I won't even tell you the story of me hacking my Jeep's UConnect head unit ... :wow:

EiD

I was told the circuit boards are identical and the only real difference physically is the case on the 600 covers the user profile button. The only difference is the firmware, but I was told that even Minelab cannot load 800 firmware on a 600 (or vice versa). The initial firmware blows a soft fuse that locks the device as a specific model.

-Joe

This is very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than just a software/firmware crippling going on.

If it was possible some Chinese hacker would be selling those hacks for $50 - $100.

There were times win I would have paid for a hack to take my 800 down to a 600.

Back
Top Bottom