unscientific poll of members on line tonight that I recognize as frequent posters

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
9:08 pm 3/12 I viewed a list of users on line and those that I recognized as frequent posters I checked their profile to determine if they owned an Equinox 800.

out of 12 that I recognized as frequent posters 7 owned 800's according to their profiles.

what does this tell me? Either a lot of 800 are being sold or a lot of our frequent posters on this forum for what every reason have chosen to own the 800.

Hype will do that to some people. Just gotta have the latest "best" detector. Unfortunately, it's usually baloney and the next "best" detector will be along shortly (at an even higher price).

And a survey of a paltry 12 detectorists means jack squat. Almost ALL of the detectorists I watch on YouTube use an AT Pro or an AT Gold. These are the guys finding colonial coins and relics, which is all that matters to me. Just my take on it...

I don't own a Nox. I am not sure that it is enough better than my current arsenal to justify the investment. I may in the future have to get one for the lighter weight as my old body does a lot of complaining.

I like my Equinox 800 a lot. Out of the three detectors I own it's my all around favorite. Oh and I was very skeptical about the Equinox when it first came out. It did not take swinging one long to figure out it's the real deal.

Well sure. There are a large number of Equinox owners out there. I would expect that there is a higher concentration of Nox owners among the MDers who are MD forum members; as compared to all the MDers who do not frequent the forums. The Nox has gone viral, and these forums are the carriers. The most frequent posters are the ones most exposed to this type of virus. I'm speaking metaphorically, of course, but I think it's a fair comparison. Of course the more active MD community members will be the ones with the latest hot tech.
Also, I own an 800, but don't show it in my profile.

Well sure. There are a large number of Equinox owners out there. I would expect that there is a higher concentration of Nox owners among the MDers who are MD forum members; as compared to all the MDers who do not frequent the forums. The Nox has gone viral, and these forums are the carriers. The most frequent posters are the ones most exposed to this type of virus. I'm speaking metaphorically, of course, but I think it's a fair comparison. Of course the more active MD community members will be the ones with the latest hot tech.
Also, I own an 800, but don't show it in my profile.

I tend to agree with your analysis. If I had not been on the forum, I don't think I would have bought or even known about the 800. I admit all the hype on the forum was the main reason I sold my AT Pro and bought the 800. And more than a few times in the past year learning about the 800 I regretted selling my AT Pro and buying the 800. But the 800 forced me to learn a whole lot more about metal detecting that I thought I new before the 800 purchase.

I am finally now happy and comfortable with using it and all of its many features to tailor to to my particular search area.

I tend to agree with your analysis. If I had not been on the forum, I don't think I would have bought or even known about the 800. I admit all the hype on the forum was the main reason I sold my AT Pro and bought the 800. And more than a few times in the past year learning about the 800 I regretted selling my AT Pro and buying the 800. But the 800 forced me to learn a whole lot more about metal detecting that I thought I new before the 800 purchase.

I am finally now happy and comfortable with using it and all of its many features to tailor to to my particular search area.

It's as if I had written your post maxxkatt…..I sold my AT Pro and an Omega, after having neck surgery. When I returned to the hobby, I was all set to get another AT Pro/Max and then read all of the hype on the Nox. I wouldn't have considered a Minelab, had it not been for the lower price of the Nox series. I am happy with my NOX 800 now, after a couple of months of frustration. That being said, I think I would have been just as happy with AT Pro or Max and had money left over for an additional coil.......oh well, no buyers remorse now but I didn't feel this way a month ago...lol.

Last edited:
Lotta' hype with the Nox. I'm sure it's a good detector and will find a lot of coins, jewelry, relics, or whatever. Those who bought one...….if they're happy with it that's good. Good or not I can't say that there are any "tales" YET of fantastic hoards being found with it. What I've seen posted so far on this site and others are finds that most likely would have been found with any other decent detector. BUT hey......everyone likes a new toy once in a while.

Well, I've been sidelined for most of the last year due to chronic neck pain caused by being rear-ended at a stop light just about exactly a year ago. I have been MD'ing vicariously through all of you and have enjoyed your finds. This has also given me a lot of extra time to reading all the MD'ing forums, blogs, etc.. One thing that I've noticed is a substantial majority of new Nox owners that are enjoying their new machine and many who make the claim that it has opened up many of their already hunted sites. Yes, there are a small percent that have given the Nox a try and just couldn't make it work for them. But I've really been surprised how many ATPro users have made the switch and are sticking with the Nox.

And as usual, there are the "Never Noxers". You're always going to have those folks.

Now, I've been really happy with my Xterra 705, but I have some sites that I've hit really hard that I'd like to try a different machine on. I really wanted to step up to the CTX3030, but after reading the consistently good reviews of the Nox, I'm reconsidering.

Enough babbling, happy hunting.

I don't know why a $900 metal detector would still have a coil with a cable? I can buy the XP Deus for around $700 and get a wireless detector. I do think a cable free detector is an advantage, so why didn't they make the Equinox 800 wireless?

The Equinox 800 and 600 are wireless. I know, the coils are wired! The Deus HF coils are wired too with the extra battery power supply. I held on to several of my favorite detectors after buying my Nox 800 and 600 including an AT Gold, an Omega, an F19, X-Terra 705, and a Deus. After a year with the Nox those other detectors have moved on to new owners..........They are not obsolete. They just didn't get any use from me. I did not get sold on hype and I'm not brand loyal. I needed a detector that would coin, jewelry and relic detect in bad mineralization and prospect effectively too while being rugged and waterproof. The Equinox does those things very well.
Jeff

I have owned my 600 for awhile now, and I post less now then when I was using an AT Pro. Mostly because of life changes and this long winter of being unable to dig.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I haven't gone back to using the At Pro one single time since I got the 600.

The Nox hype is very similar to the excitement over the other majic wand, when it entered the market, the Etrac.

Could be a lot of 800 users aren’t hunting ,just reading?

Weather has been terrible and likely grueling for lots of folks even me.

We are like 19” over average rain wise for the day of the year for 2019.
Swamped!!!
Never saw anything like this here.
Landslides, road closures, massive erosion.
Folks up north have been hit hard too with snow.

I have hunted in the rain some (light rain and drizzle) thanks to the Nox.
So there.

Weather has been terrible and likely grueling for lots of folks even me.

We are like 19” over average rain wise for the day of the year for 2019.
Swamped!!!
Never saw anything like this here.
Landslides, road closures, massive erosion.
Folks up north have been hit hard too with snow.

I have hunted in the rain some (light rain and drizzle) thanks to the Nox.
So there.

“So there”....:lol: Testify brother David,testify! And as far as this winter goes....CRAZY stuff I’ve never seen here in southern Wisconsin in my 50 years! Incessant snow,9 days since Feb 4 that were above freezing,the ICE!....my GOD man,the ICE!! And....we had record rainfall and historic local flooding last summer as well...had like a FOOT of rain in 24 hours!
If someone doesn’t think that weather patterns are changing SHARPLY....they just never make it outside.
So there!:lol:

“So there”....:lol: Testify brother David,testify! And as far as this winter goes....CRAZY stuff I’ve never seen here in southern Wisconsin in my 50 years! Incessant snow,9 days since Feb 4 that were above freezing,the ICE!....my GOD man,the ICE!! And....we had record rainfall and historic local flooding last summer as well...had like a FOOT of rain in 24 hours!
If someone doesn’t think that weather patterns are changing SHARPLY....they just never make it outside.
So there!:lol:

you know it has to be the results of global warming. We all should listen to Al Gore and Prince Charles. They know so much more than we do.

Back
Top Bottom