Chinese detectors?

tyggis

Hi.
Most of you are probably using US detectors and XP. But do you know of more reasonable priced Chinese detectors that also have an ok quality? I am interested to know about Chinese detectors in all price classes.

Throwing your money away buying Chinese detectors. They attempt to copy proven detector designs and fail miserably. IMO there is nothing good about them. Why would you concider buying stolen/copied technology?

I looked hard at those machines,some look like a g2,at pro and others..I almost bought one just to try it cause it was only like a $100 ..but I had enough common sense not to throw a $100 bucks away,these guys are right,there’s nothing good that can come out of it..

Their ads about extreme depth are fraudulent, "Dig all the way to China" well h***, they're already there!! And they rattle on every swing too, the coils are filled with rice. Nope, I wouldn't buy one😬

Well the g2 clone for $200 SUPPOSE to work good IF you buy a new coil $150 and you will have NO warranty.. I'll pass, for that $ I could buy a g2. If money is a problem buy a used fisher, tesoro, whites etc. They can damn near be as good as latest and greatest in most situations and later you can sell it for about what you have in it or keep it for a loaner/backup. You'll find a different detector will often work better in some situations than others and vice versa.

Ok. But what about Taiwan or Korea, they can both make really good quality electronics if they want. The question is if they did that with detectors yet.

Do you know any brands from those countries at all?

I have used various metal detectors and pin-pointers that were made in China -

The deteknix X-Pointer came out at a time Garrett were having a problem with theirs

Many who have owned the X-Pointer are happy with it and mine is still going strong after almost 5 years Made in China

Also just got in a GP Pointer for a little over $13.00 shipped to my door_Tests out fine and comes with bungy connection and gift

Gold Hunter AT - a step up from the GP Pointer

Famous Trails MD-1023 - This is a fantastic cheap detector that offers so much for so little_Those that have used this particular unit know how good it really is

MD-6350 Treasure Raider - Brilliant depth, sensitivity and build quality

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot eSCANZ.

The reason I ask you for this info is that in my country there are only two companies selling metal detectors. And they sell all the US brands + XP. One shop selling the First Texas products + XP, the other one Garrett and all the other good brands. And non of them or the manufacturers want more than two shops in the country... because they all want to keep the prices to the max. (and they really are).

So I will sell detectors that don't give exclusivity to a single company, and for that, I need to find those brands. But I don't want to sell bad quality stuff either.

Hey we all appreciate inexpensive knock offs patterned after well known brands and proven designs.......Its the foundation of Pirate Capitalism! Take what some guy put the R&D effort into and sell it at a lower price! Like blue plastic tarps and Rolex watches....They both keep the woodpile dry and tell you the time right? A guy can get away by going cheap on some items...

The kicker is in the critical details...take for instance a set of Chinese Harbor freight pipe wrenches...a guy finds himself underneath a trailer house in a howling blizzard and slaps that Chicom knock off pipe wrench onto a pipe and then learns a valuable lesson about Global Pirate Capitalism concepts and the true cost of money...

So, heres some deciding parameters to consider on purchasing inferior knock off imports....In regards to critical things like Metal detectors, We only have a little time to spend on this Planet,....Its a big place and these coils are so small, Time and Gold wait for Nobody, a guy needs the right tool for the job...

So this aint the proper product aisle to go hunt for a cheap Chinese knockoff!.

A chainsaw dealer would tell you the same thing! Get a rig with an honest pedigree and make it pay dividends!....Or get yourself a nice Harbor Freight Rolex ....It looks exactly the same as the original and sells for a 10th of the price! Guaranteed to be accurate twice per day...! :laughing:

The only brand I know of that is fairly good is Deteknix/Quest. Their XPointer works very well. It detects an inch or more farther than Garretts' (I have both) but it also burns through batteries much quicker. I tried one of their Quest detectors too. It worked well but still had some iffy things that reminded me of the Teknetics T2 like the audio, tone breaks for iron, detecting characteristics and even some of the on screen labeling which is probably why they are being sued a second time by First Texas.

I totally agree with most of the other posters. I would rather have a used product from the US, Australia/Malaysia, France, Turkey, England or any manufacturer that is not knowingly infringing on standard patent laws. I know that many parts for detectors are made in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia which is great for them and keeps our prices down, hopefully (or more likely increases some companies profits.)

The GP pinpointer stuff I tried really sucked. No comparison to the real thing=Garrett and Whites no matter how low their price is.

If you are on a tight budget buy used until you can find enough to buy new.

Jeff

Does anyone know how questmetaldetectors.com are doing? The website looks great, looks like they have a lot of new detector models too? Maybe they have moved away from copying to developing?

Does anyone know how questmetaldetectors.com are doing? The website looks great, looks like they have a lot of new detector models too? Maybe they have moved away from copying to developing?

Lotsa websites look great..Thats their purpose....A guy has to listen and heed to the well respected end users in field, or else every one of us would be running a Cobra Beach Magnet!....

We aint talking pineapples to persimmons here..You are talking Sams Club cotton pants and I'm talking Carharrts...Sure, one might argue that both will keep your @ss covered...but so will a blue tarp..?.

You get what you pay for. China makes very good products just like the rest of the world. But when you encounter bargain basement prices from there you will also get a bargain basement product.

The second suit against Deteknics by First Texas seems to be breach of contract. Likely the failure of Deteknics to live up to their obligations under the settlement of the first lawsuit which was settled (in FT’s favor) via an out of court settlement. Settlements like that are enforceable contracts.

Hi tyggis,

lytle78 explained the Deteknix/Quest situation in North America pretty well. Deteknix/Quest is probably finished here. That is the way I read the limited information in the new court documents.

Quest seems to be okay in Europe and Asia for the moment. They make a good product even though I am still skeptical about whether there is pirated software in their detectors. They have a nice entry level to intermediate line-up, they work and have been given good reviews for operation and quality. Otherwise, I do not know of any other Chinese detectors that I would trust for anything more than a toy or use it once and forget about it.

Jeff

Thanks a lot eSCANZ.

The reason I ask you for this info is that in my country there are only two companies selling metal detectors. And they sell all the US brands + XP. One shop selling the First Texas products + XP, the other one Garrett and all the other good brands. And non of them or the manufacturers want more than two shops in the country... because they all want to keep the prices to the max. (and they really are).

So I will sell detectors that don't give exclusivity to a single company, and for that, I need to find those brands. But I don't want to sell bad quality stuff either.

You can’t be serious. Do you think that you can compete with people selling as you say “all the other good brands”? What country are you in? This better not be your best idea for making a living because if it is your in serious trouble! Get a grip on a better idea, this one could get you hurt depending where you’re at.

You can’t be serious. Do you think that you can compete with people selling as you say “all the other good brands”? What country are you in? This better not be your best idea for making a living because if it is your in serious trouble! Get a grip on a better idea, this one could get you hurt depending where you’re at.

Well unfortunately (for the system not the OP) a person can make a living selling off brand China knock offer's, look at the aforementioned Harbor Freight for example. Also look at the imported product in Wally world, too many of us make purchasing decisions based on price not quality,

Back
Top Bottom