limited areas of Civil War Battle sites in Atlanta

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In Atlanta there are some major civil war battle sites just north of the city, west of the city and northwest all the way up to Chattanooga.

Believe it or not the big national battle field at Kennesaw Mtn, was a minor battle field. I was just the most scenic and available area close to Atlanta so they made it a national battle field. The major Atlanta cw battle was closer into Atlanta but when they were making the national battlefield decision that area was covered by a neighborhood in the 1940's.

so in that area about the only areas you can hunt are along the creeks. These creeks tend to have 12 foot banks and then smaller banks below the 12 foot banks that are constantly flooded.

I have not had much luck in the flood plains along the creeks and rivers since they flood quite a bit like once every 2-3 years. Since 1864 that amounts to a lot of sand to bury the relics.

so I am asking maybe an obvious question, should I just stick to hunting in the creeks and branches which all are pretty shallow except when flooding.

Also am hunting with a Nox 800 so I plan to search with park2 or field2 for relics. not counting on finding a lot of coins. I figure there would be more relics in this area than coins.

any hints and tips you could give me?

Well, you gotta hunt what you got in your AO...People needed water and crossings were not as easy as they are now, so Yeah..I'd hunt the creeks if thats all I had...I'd try to determine a certain stretch that hasnt left its bed in 200yrs though..:?:

Well, you gotta hunt what you got in your AO...People needed water and crossings were not as easy as they are now, so Yeah..I'd hunt the creeks if thats all I had...I'd try to determine a certain stretch that hasnt left its bed in 200yrs though..:?:

there are a few good areas but permission are tough to get since the area is covered in homes from $700,000 to $1.5 million dollars with perfect lawns. I will just have to up my permissions game.

I can remember when I was a teen my gramps who a was a big CW historian would go MDing the battlefields back in the early 70's. My goodness the 5lb coffee cans full of buckles, cap insignia, bullets, couple thousand buttons, solid shot, you name it. Had them in a closet and all were stolen by a carpet layer who cased their place and stole it when they laid the carpet. Got back one solid shot, a 3 ringer and two balls. Good luck. Know those creeks and rivers have to have some relics to give up.

Back
Top Bottom