Start searching up in the trees

MuddyMo

Forum Supporter
A crew was hired to cut down an old dead tree in Independence Mo. They found a cannonball it it. The old house was used as a Hospital during the war between the states. It had a cannonball in it years ago.

good idea, but with some species of trees as they grow upward so does the embedded object.

We have some trees that have barbed wire 30 feet up towards the top of the tree. Not sure how you would detect that.

But on the other hand some older trees in the Peachtree Creek Battle area residents have found bullets in the trees at eye level.

good idea, but with some species of trees as they grow upward so does the embedded object.

We have some trees that have barbed wire 30 feet up towards the top of the tree. Not sure how you would detect that.

Not true or possible (unless you are talking about Palm trees)

If you pound a nail into a tree at eye level, a come back two hundred years later the nail will still be at the same level..

Example..

Clothes lines never get any higher..

But on the other hand some older trees in the Peachtree Creek Battle area residents have found bullets in the trees at eye level.

Entirely possible...

<°)))>{

Never found a ball in it, neither canon or black powder weapon. But i did found WWII bullets and scrapnel in it more than once.

For sure could be worth a try. :thumbsup:

When they cut down an old tree and grind the stump, detect where the stump was. Found me a walker in a hunted out park that way a few years ago.

If you pound a nail into a tree at eye level, a come back two hundred years later the nail will still be at the same level..<°)))>{

NOT True smart guy Arborist!! How do you explain this? If I pounded a nail in a tree at 'eye level' when I was 5yrs old and came back when I was 20 at full grown Human height, the nail would be about belly button level!!...OK sure, if I came back to that 'tree nail' when I was 80yrs old in a wheelchair, then yeah it would be at eye level again...

I'm not an arborist, but why would somebody shoot a cannonball at an innocent tree in the first place?...Unless it was Saruman fighting off an Ent Army attacking his stronghold of Golgul Dur I suppose? Everybody knows trees are dangerous, they deserve to be shot at and pissed on whenever possible, but they seem to be impervious to cannonballs and metal projectiles...So I dont get it?...Also, how come some trees seem to enjoy eating barbed wire? (Asking for a chainsaw friend)..

How does a CW cannonball wind up in the top of a tree smart guy? Maybe a bird carried it up there? Or a really strong squirrel? :?: Trees are a real puzzle!

If you pound a nail into a tree at eye level, a come back two hundred years later the nail will still be at the same level..

Example..

Clothes lines never get any higher..

Entirely possible...

<°)))>{

Agree. I've run into many old fence lines running through the woods with barbed wire grown into the tree. They've all been at the same level as they were when they were originally built. Trees grow from the tips upward and only gain in girth on the remaining portions. I guess palm trees are different?

True

About 21 years ago, I was relic hunting and found an old Rolling Block Rifle that someone left laying against a tree. The bugs had eaten about a 1/3 of the stock away. A tree had grown around a respectable portion of the a barrel. I'm sure it had been there for decades. I didn't want to hack into the tree to get the gun so I came back with a hack saw and cut the barrel off at the tree. Should have left it but someone else would have done the same.

The gun was in the same position that it was left in.

Yea that's a great story , there is a plantation about a mile in a half from my house that has bullet holes and a cannon ball stuck in the upper right hand window of the upstairs. Pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom