Thought it was a valve, but??

pennypicker

Found this at a site where there used to be a homestead. Not sure of date but found remnants of a 1932 Kansas license plate also.
At first I thought it was a brass valve of some kind, but the winged part does not screw in far enough to shut it off. Actually not sure the winged portion even screws at all. None of the holes are threaded and the hole in the longer portion doesn't go thru to the part that the winged part sets on.
There are no markings except for the hammer or wrench marks on the one side.
I'm really at a total loss here.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 479
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 470
Just A Guess

Not sure about anything, except, I think the winged part is broken? Look inside and see if the other end of the winged part is jagged looks to be maybe a part broke off. I don't think the wing part is screwed. It is supposed to turn and a hole in it (broke, missing part) then could be aligned with the open end, hence, turning the winged part would allow opening and closing the valve. The missing part would have a nut or screw and washer that would seal the open end, but allow the winged part to turn. I found a similar, old gas valve yesterday and the winged part goes all the way through with a screw and washer that keeps the winged valve in place. If the winged part screwed, then it would be a gate type valve, and I don't believe it is that type of valve? I think it's a valve where you turn the winged part 90 degrees to open and close.
I just probably just confused you ever more? Sorry
HH everyone

Spout with integrated on off valve..

For an early patent issued for a Henway.

<°)))>{

Not sure about anything, except, I think the winged part is broken? Look inside and see if the other end of the winged part is jagged looks to be maybe a part broke off. I don't think the wing part is screwed. It is supposed to turn and a hole in it (broke, missing part) then could be aligned with the open end, hence, turning the winged part would allow opening and closing the valve. The missing part would have a nut or screw and washer that would seal the open end, but allow the winged part to turn. I found a similar, old gas valve yesterday and the winged part goes all the way through with a screw and washer that keeps the winged valve in place. If the winged part screwed, then it would be a gate type valve, and I don't believe it is that type of valve? I think it's a valve where you turn the winged part 90 degrees to open and close.
I just probably just confused you ever more? Sorry
HH everyone

I cleaned some more dirt from it and it indeed looks like the winged portion might be missing something in the center. I think the wing is fixed to a drum like piece that should rotate the hole in the side for open or closed. If that's the case then I wonder which way the liquid would flow? Appears like it would have to come in from the long slim piece and run out the bottom of the winged section.

Looks like a valve off of a wooden beer keg.

If my guess above is correct you might be right. It just doesn't seem like the little protrusion on the bottom would let it go into the keg far enough.

Very cool! I think that little protrusion was intended to slip inside the barrels bung hole to keep the valve from popping out during liquid dispensing operations, which would make a hell of a mess...

so a fellow sort of pulled the bung plug with the barrel upright, jimmyjagged the valve in at an angle, locked it in place via that tab, and proceeded accordingly...? I think.. dont know for sure, but it makes sense to me...Its a cool find...never seen one like that posted before!

By golly, you might be on to something. In the next few days I'm going to drill a hole in a piece of 1x4 and see if your theory plays out. My wife has a whiskey barrel half that I can measure the thickness just to see if the 1x4 is close. I'll post a pic if it appears to work.

Course on the other hand, we could all be chasing old shep here too. :p

Very cool! I think that little protrusion was intended to slip inside the barrels bung hole to keep the valve from popping out during liquid dispensing operations, which would make a hell of a mess...

so a fellow sort of pulled the bung plug with the barrel upright, jimmyjagged the valve in at an angle, locked it in place via that tab, and proceeded accordingly...? I think.. dont know for sure, but it makes sense to me...Its a cool find...never seen one like that posted before!

This is the 2nd post this week were you've identified the object having something to do with a bunghole. Either it's a total coincidence , or you're try to make bungholes out of us. :lol: :lol:

This is the 2nd post this week were you've identified the object having something to do with a bunghole. Either it's a total coincidence , or you're try to make bungholes out of us. :lol: :lol:

Yeah strange right? ..The World is full of bungs and holes, and they were sure coming out of the woodwork this week! :laughing:...I am not sure which category I fall into?...I'd like to think I'm more of a bung than a hole, but thats being optimistic...:laughing:

Well Mud, your idea didn't pan out. Couldn't figure out any way to make that work. I even tried to match it up with a maple syrup tap, but no go there either.

It almost looks like maybe someone has cut or ground some material from the tapered end. Not sure that large of an opening was on the original, so who knows what it might have looked like.

I may have to chalk this one up as one of those unknown mysteries of life. Close to 300 views and no ideas. :roll: Makes one wonder.

Edit: Forgot to add, you might as well look elsewhere for something to go in your bung hole. :laughing:

That trough-like end reminds me of a chicken waterer. You can buy something similar, made of plastic that screws to an upside down 2 litre bottle to water the chickens and it forces them to keep the water clean. This being brass, maybe it is an old timey one.

Maybe the tab is to keep a pail handle from slipping off while it's being filled. IE, the thumb turn valve would be on the bottom. I still can't figure out how it would attach to anything - no threads and no room for press fit with the valve the way it works.

Penny, that's a good guess, but holding it here in my hand I just don't see any way to attach a water supply. I just can't help but feel there's some pieces missing from this thing.

Looks similar to the pre heater for an old blow torch but not configured like any I have seen what with the winged (thumb screw?) part on top.

Back
Top Bottom