• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thought I had a hunk of Sterling

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Silver slump, CONFIRMED. I have been very lucky this year as far as silver, with coin spills and old coins found, But as of late, the last 7 or 8 hunts, although a few cool relics found, the silver has eluded me. Saturday I went back to a farmhouse from the 1890s that I did get a few silver and wheats from in the past. I put in a good 9 hours and all I came away with with was a Buff, 3 wheaties and .79 in clad. I will say the 800 ground balancing in the high 70s, stock coil, I hit that Buff at almost a foot down. Deepest nickel I've dug.

Sunday I got permission to do a local 1916 build. The front yard was so dry I had trouble getting my hand Lesche in. I even took 3 gallons of water and my watering can. The few signals I could dig on were clad and watered the roots as soon as I flipped the plug. The lady's son came out and told me she would be more comfortable if I hunted down back. I said no problem and headed down there. So the soil in back was better, but things got a little strange. 7 Wheaties. I was hitting wheats and memorials less than 2 in. down. But the dimes and quarters were clad. A 65 slam so to speak. All toll, out of 6 dimes 4 were 65s, out of 3 quarters, a 65 & 66. A 65 nickel, and out of 20 memorials most were in the 60s. All those shallow wheats but not one silver. I got a large 28 and out pops what I thought was a sterling Boy Scout slide. On clean up when I tried to straighten out the back I could see he plating coming off. No silver for me. The other cool find of the day was, what I thought was a lead toy soldier but when looking at it, and I don't know why, it reminded me of member Digging for Clad. Sorry guy. Not sure why. Anyway I really need to get my coil on some silver soon. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• redo197.jpg
    redo197.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 290
  • redo198.jpg
    redo198.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 279
  • redo199.jpg
    redo199.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 289
  • redo200.jpg
    redo200.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 290
  • redo196.jpg
    redo196.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 272
Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!! There’s a Silver in the dirt near You😁

Thanks RJ, and I 'm sure you're right, there is silver out there, just haven't found any, and slumps, we all go through them. Just hate when its my turn. Hopefully it will end soon. Good luck. Mark

OMG I think that is Bunga man? Irons(?) on here found one,Buck Rogers?? Can’t recall, pretty dang cool find!

Found it: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213607&highlight=Bunga

Wow GS, you've got a great memory. That post was from a while ago. And thanks for the id, I wasn't sure what he was or what he was carrying. Good luck. Mark

Mark, still a decent hunt. At least you found some clad to add to the piggy bank. lol. I know how those silver dry spells go. I have a lot of experience with them. You'll be back on track in no time! GL! John

Mark, still a decent hunt. At least you found some clad to add to the piggy bank. lol. I know how those silver dry spells go. I have a lot of experience with them. You'll be back on track in no time! GL! John

Thanks John, I hope you're right. With the heat and dry ground things are slowing down. And I have hit most of my woods spots already. Good luck to you. Mark

Silver slump, CONFIRMED.

OMG I think that is Bunga man? Irons(?) on here found one,Buck Rogers?? Can’t recall, pretty dang cool find!

Found it: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213607&highlight=Bunga

Sorry about the silver slump, Mark…I’m intimately familiar with how those feel. In fact I’m in one now, and I mean even before the detector went on vacation. My last silver was May 4…I clearly lost the “silver force” on May the Fourth :lol: Don’t worry, I have no doubt you’ll get back on the silver pace soon!

That Buck Rogers Depth Man is actually pretty cool! And dang, GS…memory like a sponge to remember some of the details and track down that thread!! Now that I see it again, I remember Irons’ avatar and it always makes me smile…knew there had to be a story behind that avatar, and now I know what it is! Mark, you should definitely post “Bunga” to Irons’ thread…he bumped it a couple years ago asking if anyone else had found one with no response. He’s still active - he’ll probably get a kick out of it!

Sorry about the silver slump, Mark…I’m intimately familiar with how those feel. In fact I’m in one now, and I mean even before the detector went on vacation. My last silver was May 4…I clearly lost the “silver force” on May the Fourth :lol: Don’t worry, I have no doubt you’ll get back on the silver pace soon!

That Buck Rogers Depth Man is actually pretty cool! And dang, GS…memory like a sponge to remember some of the details and track down that thread!! Now that I see it again, I remember Irons’ avatar and it always makes me smile…knew there had to be a story behind that avatar, and now I know what it is! Mark, you should definitely post “Bunga” to Irons’ thread…he bumped it a couple years ago asking if anyone else had found one with no response. He’s still active - he’ll probably get a kick out of it!

Ben May the Fourth be with you:lol: And the silver starts apoppin. My last one was 5/18' I did post on Irons thread, good suggestion, thanks. I hope Minelab gets you fixed up soon. Good luck, Mark

Super cool find Mark , Congrats ! You beat some long odds finding that rarity !

SS thanks, I guess not too many of those get posted. Ha ha. Mark

Nice find. I've never seen a sterling scout tie. Cool find.

Jason thank you. Hope you are well. Mark

I understand your plight Mark as over the last 4 weeks no Silver. Your at least getting a few Wheat's. Need to go back on some road trips to get back into action and get a few shines to scratch the itch. Hope your next outing remedies the situation for you. Trapper

I understand your plight Mark as over the last 4 weeks no Silver. Your at least getting a few Wheat's. Need to go back on some road trips to get back into action and get a few shines to scratch the itch. Hope your next outing remedies the situation for you. Trapper

Trapper, I hate these dry spells, you start to wonder if there is any silver left. With lack of any permissions I headed back to my honey hole at an old city park yesterday to see if I could eke one more silver out of her. No good, I did just miss a nickel trifecta, I got a Buff, a decent looking 1905 V and close by the V was a 1941 Jeff. Dang. One toasted wheatie was the only other oldie. I hope you get out and get on some silver soon. Take care. Mark

Back
Top Bottom