Figure a value!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
This one is quite a story.

KT is quite sentimental about His Royal Mother and decided He would honor her Royal Memory by purchasing a silver coin of her birth year - 1906.

So off His Majesty goes to eBay, searching 1906 silver dollar, expecting to find a Barber perhaps, but finds only 1906 Barber halves for sale. So He searches for 1906 silver coin. Up pops this coin!

It is late at night so KT bid on it...$30 + 4.95 shipping. KT goes to bed happy in his thought that He might win this coin. Next day, He gets notification to pay because He won! So He uses His Royal Paypal account.

The next day, KT becomes very curious about this "coin", thinking perhaps it was a US Special Minted Dollar. So He searches online to find out what the deal is....to his surprise...several sites list this "coin" as Chinese fake and with a 0 $ value!

So KT contacts the seller and requests the auction be cancelled. After 24 hours, KT again sends the same message to the seller, with the added threat to report him for selling fake silver Chinese dollars without listing that they were fakes. Still no answer, so KT turns him in to the eBay police who state that if His Majesty does not hear from him in 3 days, they will take action and refund my purchase price plus shipping. They must have contacted him, because the next day, I get notification from him and Paypal that my money was refunded!

Here is the deal. This coin is silver of unknown purity, a Chinese copy after the US Mint's Commemorative 1986 Proof Dollar of the Statue of Liberty.

There are a couple of ways to tell it is a fake...the cast they made of the coin, particularly the date was poor quality and they must have hand stamped a 0 into the date so it came out 1906, not 1986. Second, the real coins were proofs and this coin shows no evidence of ever being stamped in a proof quality die. Notice also the I and the T in the slogan In God We Trust are very weak. No proof would pass such a test by the Mint! Examine the pictures below.

It turns out it is one of the better documented fakes. What surprised me is the fellow shipped it to me anyway so that KT has an example of a fake Chinese US silver dollar! :lol::lol: Oh, the other thing is, when they stamped it, the reverse is exactly 180 degrees out of sink. When you view any US Mint coin, with the head at the top, you can rotate it vertically to see the back and it will be in proper orientation to read inscriptions, etc. But this "coin", if you do that, the back side is upside down! :laughing:

Pretty poor fakers, if you ask KT! Anyway, His Majesty wanted to use this fake to educate someone who has not studied silver coins. So despite the coin experts saying it has 0 value, it is silver and it has some educational value! Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Chinese fake silver dollar01.jpg
    Chinese fake silver dollar01.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Chinese fake silver dollar02.jpg
    Chinese fake silver dollar02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Chinese fake silver dollar03 10X.jpg
    Chinese fake silver dollar03 10X.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 373
Phew!!! Glad you got your $ back man. Wow on that date... I think I have one of those 86 sets from the mint. I'd have to go look...

Did his majesty check to see if it was a reputable seller?

His Majesty did not before bidding…and it is His own Royal Fault, but what do you expect when it was about 1:30 am? KT sometimes late at night gets a wild Royal Hair, and this was one of those.:p:p

If the seller was really honest, he would have listed the coin as a Chinese fake, so listing it as was done, indicates to KT that he knew it was fake.

Glad you got your money back KT.

Btw, from what I've read there are no 1906 silver dollars.

Exactly what KT discovered when His Majesty researched it! :laughing::laughing:

And now you know why you won the auction!
But at least we're all the wiser for it.
Thanks for sharing.

If this thread stops one buyer from purchasing a fake Chinese coin, then the entire experience was worth it! :lol::lol:

Well done your highness, well done indeed. I have watched videos on Chinese fake coins, and I must say, some look extremely hard to determine between real or fake.

Just one quick glance at that coin and I would know it's fake. Not trying to brag but I've been collecting coins since 1957 and owned a coin shop back in the late 80's and early 90's. Glad you got your money back.

It looks like it says “In God we Rust” like some of those error state quarters.

Attachments

• 73749C6A-2129-45FF-A55D-4304E3A5F8FE.jpg
    73749C6A-2129-45FF-A55D-4304E3A5F8FE.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 300
Just one quick glance at that coin and I would know it's fake. Not trying to brag but I've been collecting coins since 1957 and owned a coin shop back in the late 80's and early 90's. Glad you got your money back.

Yep, KT should have looked up 1906 US Coinage first before He bid on it! And me too on the refund! LOL

Back
Top Bottom