Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2021, 10:27 PM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 4,313
Default Dug a gold eagle today

Click bait-sorry, well it is gold and it is an eagle just not the eagle of my dreams. I have been working a 40/50s church/ school and although doing good in the clad dept. it has been slow to give up silver. Decided to hit a small area just outside the front of the church. Short story long I dug 95 coins for a little over 7 bucks in clad, a 61 D Rosie, 3 wheats and a token from a supermarket thats been long gone. Matter of fact I had forgot all about it till I saw the token.
Full disclosure, I was lucky today. The gold was a gift. I was digging a scratchy 26-27 and when I popped the plug the eagle rolled out. I thought it was some type of foil at first till I rubbed it. The signal I was chasing turned out to be junk and running the eagle over the coil it was hitting 4 so I would have never dug it had there been no other signal. I guess every dog gets a bone once in a while. I don't recognize the markings on it so any help would be appreciated.
The last pick is from an earlier trip there and is the oldest coin so far from the church. I hope the place has more to give. Till next time. Mark
Attached Images
    

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 6 -IHPs 0 -Wheaties 7 -Tokens 1
-Buffs 0 - Vs 0- Sterling 0 - Gold 0 - Clad-9.83

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 12-03-2021, 10:33 PM
BOZ's Avatar
BOZ BOZ is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Dahlonega, Ga
Posts: 233
Default

Well, ya got me! Haha
Congrats on your finds and good luck on your next hunt there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 12-03-2021, 10:41 PM
AirmetTango's Avatar
AirmetTango AirmetTango is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,485
Default

Totally roped me in with that click-bait!! I was ecstatic for you until the pic loaded Still, that’s a nice site - the clad production implies it hasn’t been hit for a while, at least. As always, I love tokens - the store “good for” is a sweet find! And the golden eagle is still pretty cool even if it isn’t necessarily the bucket list type. I love those kinds of “collateral” finds - I’ve never had gold roll out that way though…for me it’s usually a marble or Frozen Charlotte head. I’m with you, I never would have bothered with a 4 on the Equinox - big congrats! No shame on the luck involved - we all need a little luck just getting the coil over the right spot for many finds anyway

__________________

Oldest coin: 1834 Matron Head Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steve’s Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 12-03-2021, 10:55 PM
MAD Mitch's Avatar
MAD Mitch MAD Mitch is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW MS
Posts: 203
Default

Lol, finding one of those would the closest I would ever get to a gold eagle. Congrats on the finds!

__________________
Nokta Makro Simplex+ *Nokta Pointer *Nokta Prem.Digger *Jueachy Drop Leg Bag *NoCry (lol) Knee Pads *RootSlayer Mini Shovel

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 12-03-2021, 10:58 PM
chillforlife chillforlife is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Not nice, got a lot of us old hearts pumping. Good finds anyway.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 12-04-2021, 12:13 AM
partyofone's Avatar
partyofone partyofone is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,120
Default

I LOVE that eagle. I have one very similar to it!

__________________
Matthew 6:21

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 12-04-2021, 12:25 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 4,313
Default

Originally Posted by BOZ View post
Well, ya got me! Haha
Congrats on your finds and good luck on your next hunt there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Boz thanks, I usually don't go in for snappy titles but just couldn't resist. It was my only gold find this year. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Totally roped me in with that click-bait!! I was ecstatic for you until the pic loaded Still, that’s a nice site - the clad production implies it hasn’t been hit for a while, at least. As always, I love tokens - the store “good for” is a sweet find! And the golden eagle is still pretty cool even if it isn’t necessarily the bucket list type. I love those kinds of “collateral” finds - I’ve never had gold roll out that way though…for me it’s usually a marble or Frozen Charlotte head. I’m with you, I never would have bothered with a 4 on the Equinox - big congrats! No shame on the luck involved - we all need a little luck just getting the coil over the right spot for many finds anyway
Thanks Ben, pretty much old drops and many 65s and 66s. Over 20 bucks. Probably 20 wheats. Just thinkin' there should be more silver. The token was a surprise and a treat as well. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by MAD Mitch View post
Lol, finding one of those would the closest I would ever get to a gold eagle. Congrats on the finds!
Mitch I hear ya, probably the closest I'll get also. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by chillforlife View post
Not nice, got a lot of us old hearts pumping. Good finds anyway.
cfl, ha ha, couldn't resist. As I said before, probably be the only gold eagle I will ever find. Good luck, Mark

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 6 -IHPs 0 -Wheaties 7 -Tokens 1
-Buffs 0 - Vs 0- Sterling 0 - Gold 0 - Clad-9.83

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 12-04-2021, 01:15 AM
Iggyks's Avatar
Iggyks Iggyks is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Kansas
Posts: 942
Default

That hunt would make me happy! Congratulations!
Attached Images
 

__________________
I just dropped in to see what condition my permission was in.

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 12-04-2021, 02:58 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 19,018
Default

Sweet GOLD, and yeah, you got me on the title too

Really think the token is cool too, as are the silvers and wheats!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $0.00 ($1123.19), Silver coins: 0 (50), Wheats: 0 (165), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 0 (98), Rings: 0 (247), Oldest Coins: 1919,20 wheats, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 AM
mpmccann's Avatar
mpmccann mpmccann is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Corinth Texas - (South Denton,TX)
Posts: 187
Default

Wow, you got me hook line and sinker on that one.
Great finds non the less, congrats!

__________________
Current detector - MineLab Vanquish 540 ProPack -

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 12-04-2021, 08:35 AM
UT_Dave's Avatar
UT_Dave UT_Dave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Utah
Posts: 45
Default

Got me as well, but that's all good .

I'd take that lucky eagle any day! Wheaties and a Rosie aren't anything to complain about either!

- Dave
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 12-04-2021, 09:43 AM
JAK's Avatar
JAK JAK is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 6,534
Default

Mark, you had me at gold! lol. But then again, and eagle is an eagle. Good going with the two of extra silvers to crank-up your near year-end silver totals. Cool token too. And of course a couple of nice handfuls of clad to weigh down the pouch to round out a successful hunt...congrats!

__________________
Equinox 800

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36; 2021 FTY Clad: $1,496.91. Most coin amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2022 FTY Silvers: 3

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 12-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Ludlow6 Ludlow6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 251
Default Not much of a discount

15 cents off of $5 or more is not much of a discount. but I still love that token.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 12-04-2021, 10:15 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 16,632
Default

I can see 14k I think, but tough to tell. Either way, a silver and gold hunt is what we all strive for. Congrats Mark!!!

__________________
☆ 2022☆
☆W-5~IH-1~Coppas-1~Tokens-1☆
☆Silva-0~Ster-4~Gold-1
☆Oldest Coin FTY:1837 Large Cent☆

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 12-04-2021, 11:10 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 4,313
Default

Originally Posted by partyofone View post
I LOVE that eagle. I have one very similar to it!
Thanks Erik, I might put it on a chain. Speaking of, after I pulled the junk I forgot to scan and see if the chain was near by. Getting sloppy in my old age. Enjoy the holidays. Mark

Originally Posted by Iggyks View post
That hunt would make me happy! Congratulations!
Iggy thanks for the visual. Like I said I had forgot all about Del-Farm so when I did see it, it was a little blast from the past. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Sweet GOLD, and yeah, you got me on the title too



Really think the token is cool too, as are the silvers and wheats!
GS sorry, my attempt at a little humor. Thanks, was a great hunt, Time here is running out, ol' man winters knockin' . Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by mpmccann View post
Wow, you got me hook line and sinker on that one.
Great finds non the less, congrats!
Ha ha, sorry. And thank you mpmccann, I don't find much gold. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by UT_Dave View post
Got me as well, but that's all good .

I'd take that lucky eagle any day! Wheaties and a Rosie aren't anything to complain about either!

- Dave
Dave thanks, very happy with the eagle. That really made my day. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Mark, you had me at gold! lol. But then again, and eagle is an eagle. Good going with the two of extra silvers to crank-up your near year-end silver totals. Cool token too. And of course a couple of nice handfuls of clad to weigh down the pouch to round out a successful hunt...congrats!
Thank you John, and yes always nice to add some silver to the year-end totals. One more would be nice. And the gold was a nice little bonus. So as I said I dug 95 coins plus 15 maybe 20 junk targets, when I got home I went straight for the Advil and a beer. I don't see how you do it. That was five hour hunt and it about killed me. Good luck and enjoy your holidays. Mark

Originally Posted by Ludlow6 View post
15 cents off of $5 or more is not much of a discount. but I still love that token.
Ludlow thanks and I agree not much of a deal. But always happy to dig a token, the older the better. Age on that one, not too old probably 50s maybe 60s. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
I can see 14k I think, but tough to tell. Either way, a silver and gold hunt is what we all strive for. Congrats Mark!!!
Thank you Jeff, even with magnification I wasn't able to make out the marks. I assumed 680 meant 14k but not sure. Yesterdays hunt was a good one but I hope I haven't had my best hunt of the year yet. Good luck and happy holidays. Mark

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 6 -IHPs 0 -Wheaties 7 -Tokens 1
-Buffs 0 - Vs 0- Sterling 0 - Gold 0 - Clad-9.83

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 12-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Florida Tabdigger's Avatar
Florida Tabdigger Florida Tabdigger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 2,330
Default

Well you didn't get me...but I really love the token.

__________________
See Florida Tabdigger dig tabs on Youtube.

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 12-04-2021, 10:32 PM
kaufenanger's Avatar
kaufenanger kaufenanger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 996
Default

Man that title got me. Congrats on the gold eagle and silvers!

__________________
Oldest coin: 1880 IHP
Oldest Silver: 1923 Mercury dime, dateless SLQ
Detectors: Garrett AT Pro

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 12-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Mountain Pirate's Avatar
Mountain Pirate Mountain Pirate is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 112
Default

First click-bait that DIDN'T irritate me...LOL! congrats on a great hunt and on the gold!

__________________
Treasure is defined by YOU!

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-05-2021, 10:35 PM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 4,313
Default

Originally Posted by Florida Tabdigger View post
Well you didn't get me...but I really love the token.
FT All in good fun, and yes no matter how well you do on a hunt digging a cool token seems to put it over the top. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by kaufenanger View post
Man that title got me. Congrats on the gold eagle and silvers!
Thank you sir, gold and silver make for a great day. Good luck, Mark

Originally Posted by Mountain Pirate View post
First click-bait that DIDN'T irritate me...LOL! congrats on a great hunt and on the gold!
Ha ha thanks MP. I hope I didn't piss to many people off. Good luck, Mark

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 6 -IHPs 0 -Wheaties 7 -Tokens 1
-Buffs 0 - Vs 0- Sterling 0 - Gold 0 - Clad-9.83

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.