Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 02:59 PM

Default MD pirates giving all a bad name?

Evil MDers!

"Park Officials say that someone recently dug in numerous areas of the park. The site was damaged and many artifacts are missing. In addition, evidence at the scene indicates that a metal detector was used to locate artifacts and at least 19 holes were dug."

And they know many artifacts were taken.

https://news.yahoo.com/holes-were-du...-sh&soc_trk=ma

Last edited by Rock Jock; 11-22-2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Insert quote and comment

Old 11-22-2021, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

A similar story circulated a few years back, at a historic monument themed fed. Park in CA. And a B.O.L. was issued, blah blah. But it turned out to just be the boy scouts had been doing geocaching practice lessons. Nothing at all to do with md'ing.

Durned them boy scouts and md'rs for not covering their holes better !!

Old 11-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Default Squirrels Coyotes Foxes

Officials today do not know the difference between holes dug by Squirrels, Coyotes, Foxes or scouts. Scouts do not know enough to geocache away from historic sites.
Swinging a metal detector over anything without digging does it no harm.
If you do not dig, what harm has been done?

Old 11-22-2021, 06:36 PM
Supporter

Doesn't say what proof they have that it was someone with a detector , could of been a treasure hunter with a old map .

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby

Old 11-22-2021, 08:32 PM
Elite Member

“The site was damaged and many artifacts are missing.”

How do they know that many artifacts are missing. I smell.... I smell....... I smell something..... smelly.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Doesn't that youtube guy that we're not going to speak of anymore hail from SC? I think he's trying to drag us Friendly's into his nefarious deeds. Not good.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:02 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by chillforlife View post

How do they know that many artifacts are missing. I smell.... I smell....... I smell something..... smelly.
Right? Speculation claimed as fact. That's part of what you're smelling. So out of 19+ holes, I wonder if they scored anything good? Probably some clad and pulltabs around, among the good stuff.
The rest of the story is where it gets interesting. I just know I wouldn't want to be seen detecting anywhere near that part of the region for a while!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Agreed, this reeks of something…not exactly sure what…but it doesn’t necessarily seem like a “square deal”.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Doesn't that youtube guy that we're not going to speak of anymore hail from SC? I think he's trying to drag us Friendly's into his nefarious deeds. Not good.
Think real hard about his handle and then think real hard about some city names.

CTX3030 (just purchased), Nox 800 (sold), Steves CF shaft, 6" nox coil, Coiltek 10 x 5" Nox coil, Vanquish 440. Civil War research and relic hunting and coin hunting. Lake beach hunting, short wave listening (sold radio to pay for new CTX3030). US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:42 PM
Supporter

I think I saw those finds posted on another thread in a CBD video. Yeah....from his mom's basement on some shelves. Bottles and cans , knick knacks and tchotchkes ! 😂💩😂

Old 11-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Supporter

Default Another news article on it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar...edgdhp&pc=U531

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby

Old 11-23-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Right? Speculation claimed as fact. That's part of what you're smelling. So out of 19+ holes, I wonder if they scored anything good? Probably some clad and pulltabs around, among the good stuff.
The rest of the story is where it gets interesting. I just know I wouldn't want to be seen detecting anywhere near that part of the region for a while!
And don't even think about detecting the curb strip along State Road S-10-97 that runs along the North side of the National Hysterical Site!

Old 11-25-2021, 12:04 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
A similar story circulated a few years back, at a historic monument themed fed. Park in CA. And a B.O.L. was issued, blah blah. But it turned out to just be the boy scouts had been doing geocaching practice lessons. Nothing at all to do with md'ing.

Durned them boy scouts and md'rs for not covering their holes better !!
Just to set the record straight about Geocaching -- AS A RULE, geocaches are almost never buried. I don't know what those scouts were up to. Maybe their scout masters were clueless. I have only found 2 or 3 actually in the ground, and the contents were accessible WITHOUT DIGGING.

From https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines
-----
Do not bury

Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache.

The only exception is if a property owner gives explicit permission to create a hole to place the cache, which you must provide to the reviewer and state on the cache page. A cache cannot require the finder to dig to reach the cache. See the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for details in your region.
-----

Old 11-26-2021, 05:42 PM
Supporter

In the post they stated there was metal artifacts next to some of the holes and other ones were empty. So they figure the "artifacts" were taken..
My suggestion to them is either be responsible and complete a full archaeological dig to ensure that there's no artifacts left to be found or scatter about 4,000 Chuck E Cheese tokens across the area to make it impossible for future detectorists. Or,
We could donate our pull tabs to be spread out across the area..
Yet another alternative would be to get some responsible detectorists together to recover any metal artifacts under their watchful eye so that this wouldn't happen again.

Present: Equinox 800.
Past: CTX-3030, E-Trac, Explorer II, Sovereign
Detecting Since 1984 Using Minelab since mid 90s

Old 11-26-2021, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post

Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache
-----
Actually, to be fair, what they had seen was not truly "holes". They had seen little wire/flag markers at various spots around this historic spots. And thought it had something to do with md'rs (maybe they also thought they saw holes in conjunction with them ?). So they put out the word to city police and park staff to B.O.L.

But within a week, I heard that they deduced it was simply boy-scouts and geocaching.