Back to my Favorite Lake

goldpaninut

Yesterday I went back to my favorite lake for an afternoon of "treasure hunting". Its getting very worked out, and again the silver eluded me. But i did manage to find a .925 silver pendent and 6 wheat pennies in great shape after some light cleaning and buffing. Next time I go up there I'm spending all day detecting in the lake out to about 3 feet deep, although coins that have spent decades in the lake are not in good shape. Over the years there's got to be people who stood on their hands in shallow water and had the contents of their pockets empty out! Last time I was there I found a small silver spill of 3 dimes. I'm thankful my Equinox is waterproof! The dates are: 1939-S, 1945, 1948-S, 1951-S, 1952-D, & 1955-D The nickel is a 1940-S

Attachments

• 13. The wheat cents I found at both lakes, & the 1940 nickel & pendent.jpg
    13. The wheat cents I found at both lakes, & the 1940 nickel & pendent.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 14. wheat cents & 1940-S nickel & silver pendent I found at both lakes, 8-5-2020.jpg
    14. wheat cents & 1940-S nickel & silver pendent I found at both lakes, 8-5-2020.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 212
Three years ago, a Quaker school near me was draining their lake I guess for their centennial maintenance. You’d think they’d let me detect ? No way.
Therefore, I am just so jealous.

wow those wheaties came out looking like they'd never been in the water or ground. Nice.

I have a special way of cleaning old wheat cents. First of all I let them dry for 2 days before I attempt any cleaning at all. Then I very gently wipe away any dirt with a damp cloth....not wet! After another full day of drying, I rub and buff them hard with a soft but dry firm cloth. If there is any original luster left, this will bring it out. Washing and cleaning them after the hunt will only erase what original luster they have left. Usually they turn out pretty good! These coins pictured came from the shore of a lake, from under Fir needles and a protective layer of dry volcanic dust. Coins found IN the lake are always much more deteriorated.

Back
Top Bottom