Predator Model 85 - Foam or Plastic??

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I've been using my Garrett Edge Digger that came with my first detector purchase a couple years ago as my hand digger. Nothing really wrong with the Garrett - it hasn't broken or bent or anything - but the "serrated" edge leaves a bit to be desired when I've encountered roots. Maybe it's just cabin fever setting in, but I'm looking at spending some cash and upgrading to a Predator Model 85 in the hopes of getting a little better performance when I encounter tougher ground/roots.

Question is, which of the many varieties of the 85 to chose? More specifically, the key difference appears to be a couple varieties with a plastic grip, and a few with a cushion or foam grip. I realize that the choice between grips can be a matter of preference - personally, I'm leaning toward the "cushion" grip from a comfort standpoint.

But I also realize there might be practical reasons to avoid the cushion grip. I'm concerned about whether the "cushion" grip will hold up or wear out under extensive use - I can imagine the plastic grip might last longer at the expense of comfort? Also, is the cushion grip a dirt magnet that becomes a chore to clean versus the solid plastic grip? And that accumulated dirt might lead to more wear and tear...

Any forum members with experience with either or both versions of the Predator grip willing to share their opinions? Thanks!

My predator has the foam handle and has held up great over 2+ years. It is a really firm foam and has very little give to it so it resist damage well.

I don't have a Predator, but have had a Kodiak digger for 2 years and it has held up suprising well. On my Lesche the plastic cam off and I replaced them with a super comfortable bicycle hand grip, and honestly i like that the best

Back
Top Bottom