Baseball concession prices...then and now...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
When I was a kid we sat all over Tiger stadium but a favorite place was out in right field in the bleachers right behind Al Kaline...which is not just a type of battery but one of the greatest players ever.
50¢ per seat out there.
A hot dog and a watered down Coke was usually on the menu, a family of four or five could get away cheap at the prices back then in the 60's and early 70's.

Now if you want to take your family to a game you almost need to go to the bank and get a loan.

Here are some concession prices from Citi Field, home of the Mets.
A $100 bill could just about get your family fed.

photostudio_1500032320991.jpg

Here is a list from Wrigley Field from 1970.
You could get everything on this list twice over and more for that same $100 including a jacket and autographed baseball...and still have lots of money left over.

photostudio_1500033955099.jpg

Times they are a changing.

Sad isn't it!

That's just greed, plain & simple, with a captive audience to shake down for every cent they can get.

I read someplace that the foundation of the value of gold back in Roman times was the amount of gold it took to buy a man one good suit of clothes. Apparently that's also about what gold is worth today, give or take just a bit, so even with inflation figured in, those prices are ludicrous.

I can understand slightly higher prices since they only sell food during a limited time period and not all day and evening like a regular restaurant, but those prices are ridiculous. :shock:
cash-smiley-emoticon.gif

I went to one baseball game when I was a kid possibly in my teens, and just two games when I was a little older. Sports has turned into big business and they'll keep charging such outrageous prices as long as enough people keep paying them.

I'm not sure how many sports parks allow food to be brought in, but here is an article I just now found that shows at least one major league park is now allowing limited amounts of food to be brought in -

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.com/2017/03/29/suntrust-park-heres-how-much-food-fits-into-a-gallon-bag/

From the above link -

Yesterday the Atlanta Braves tried to appease fans when the organization announced that outside food would be permitted at SunTrust Park during the 2017 season. This was a reversal of a decision announced last week that would have prohibited outside food and water, with a few minor exceptions.

The latest policy allows food so long as it fits in a clear, gallon-size container. Fans are also allowed to bring in a sealed plastic bottle of water.
One bag of food and one bottle of water per ticket will be permitted.

foodbags.jpg

......so if you have a group of 4 have one person bring a bag full of hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches, ect., another bring a bag of snacks, and so on, then you all share out of each of your bags and have your meal and snacks :lol:

Last edited:
The whole sporting event thing is a shakedown. Ticket brokers buy large chunks of tickets. High demand brings higher prices on the secondary market. This generally prices out the true baseball fans because sporting events are now nothing more than a social outing for many of the people who buy tickets.

Adding to the cost of the tickets, parking, concessions, and souvenirs - a family of four is spending a whole lot for a few hours dealing with drunks, obnoxious fans, coarse language, and way too much traffic for it to be worth it. I would much rather watch sports from the comfort of my home. I like instant replays and color commentary - and I can make my own food which is infinitely better and far, far cheaper.

Thats exactly where we sat too! In the mid/late 60's...Upper deck of right field! My Old Man would take the lot of us kids and even a neighbor kid or two!...So it must have been cheap for a working man to go to the games...

My cousin Jerry caught a home run ball there even! When I moved back to MI, I took the Wife to Tiger Stadium for a game in the late 80's...It went into extra innings...Man, that was a cool Stadium! Memories!

Thats exactly where we sat too! In the mid 60's...Upper deck of right field! My Old Man would take the lot of us kids and even a neighbor kid or two!...My cousin Jerry caught a home run ball there even! When I moved back to MI, I took the Wife to Tiger Stadium for a game in the late 80's...It went into extra innings...Man, that was a cool Stadium! Memories!

The only double decked bleachers in any ballpark...we always sat on top.

Tiger_-_CF_Bleachers_Close_640T.jpg

Another favorite place was the small third deck around the first base side.
Many foul balls were hit close to there.
Great view, for night games and cloudy days it was comfortable, on hot summer day games the sun would bake you all day and you would definitely get sunburned but you also came close to death if you didn't have a lot to drink.

That is what being a true fan is all about...a risk of severe injury.

Attachments

• tigerstadium-towardrf.jpg
    tigerstadium-towardrf.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 253
We always sat just behind the red seats in your picture, they wernt red in the 60's but you get the idea.....just to the right of that first upper deck entrance door..just to the left of the foul ball pole in your picture a little.. generally right in that area...Us kids would run around all over the place unattended throughout the game doing as we pleased without a worry in the World!...I dont know how many laps around that Stadium I got under my feet!....

One of our greatest Family memories was when some Stadium seating guy was walking around directing traffic and yelling, "Fill these seats Ladies and Gentlemen, fill these seats!" Some big guy sitting in the row in front of us jumped up and hollered back in a big voice, "Shut up and sit down yourself you GD Blowhard!" :laughing::laughing: For some reason, that was really funny to us little kids! 50+yrs later, me and my siblings say that to each other to this DAY!:laughing::laughing:Oh Man!

Last edited:
Simple.. If you don't like the prices then stay home. We all know the "good old days" but they are not coming back.. They charge the prices and people pay them.

And to the people that cry what an athlete is paid.. They are the best of the best and command the best.. If someone wants to pay me crazy money then bring it on.. I'm not stupid..

Simple.. If you don't like the prices then stay home. We all know the "good old days" but they are not coming back.. They charge the prices and people pay them.

And to the people that cry what an athlete is paid.. They are the best of the best and command the best.. If someone wants to pay me crazy money then bring it on.. I'm not stupid..

Nice attitude, kinda a conversation killer though. And you're a mod...:lol:

I used to go to the dump in Queens NYC. Prices are high but for once a year, not a problem. I like the games on tv, no parking, commute and all the other stuff. Digger is right, the 60's and 70's were great for ball.

Back
Top Bottom