Did the FBI steal the Gold? Anyone know these guys?

I don't know of this particular story but as far as the Oak Island drama. I was pretty sure when it started it was all hype for a good show. I watched the first season of it and saw I was right and that it was reality TV at it's best. I think a year or so ago I happened across it again and saw it was more of the same. A few different faces in the game with more detailed stories that were created for the interest factor. I know a guy that watches it religiously and says they keep finding bits and pieces so the treasures HAVE to be there. I tell him no........The only thing that HAS to be there is B.S. because that's all there IS there.

All I ended up with from that over dramatic, dragged out show was that there once was a very good crop of "cabbage" on that island. The lucrative business of the discreet farmer is providing for his family to this day...

Can't you guys let me be 8 years old again ? I want to believe in treasure stories like these.

Don't you all realize that ManInTheWall is Dennis of FindersKeepers? I'll bet my last dime it is.

Treasure net.....

Thank you for answering that. And so that you know : OF COURSE you will only find points of view that are "Pro" Dents-Run-Dennis views there on T'net. Because skeptical views of Dents Run are not allowed there. To point out flaws and failures of the story, to logically follow through, will get you banned there.

Hence, naturally, you're only hearing one-side of the story there.

You have to ask yourself, what financial benefit is this guy getting if he's making it all up. Can't be much or anything at all.

Who said anything about Dennis "making this up" ? I have no doubt at all that Dennis is quite sincere. Ie.: that he sincerely believes it's there. Or it was stolen, or whatever. Hence he hasn't "made anything up". Ie.: He's not "lying".

People can be sincere all-the-time, yet be "sincerely mistaken". Ok ?

There are people who believe in Area 51 conspiracies, Bigfoot, tooth-fairies, etc.... And none of them "make anything up". They are quite sincere. They have no financial motive. Yet they fail to look at more-plausible-explanations to the salacious details they assert.

For example, they fail the "correlation is-not-necessarily causation" logical fallacy all-the-time. :roll: Yet at no point are they anything less than sincere. Albeit : Sincerely mistaken.

Last edited:
I still like to watch it. After them putting Cassons down this year, as large as they are, I expected a little more. I think they are not really going about it in the right way. At this point I would think they would circle the largest area with Cassons, fill them, and weld some sort of beams across them so they could really dig it out and find out what is down there. I liked it better when they were able to start digging up the "road" area coming out of the swamp until they ran into the pottery and got shut down. The archeology part of it was real cool. I don't know....I think something happened there, but it is really starting to drag out. I used to love watching Gary metal detect, and that is what really put me over to get my own detector and start learning the art of the craft. But some of it is getting real tedious. I like the history part of it, and now that science is really being applied I like to watch it more when that is applied. The blacksmith is a nice guy, but I still think a lot of it is conjecture. The geologist guy is probably my favorite now, Dr. Spooner I think.

I used to watch and enjoy Oak Island....I would have been gobsmacked if they ever found anything substantial, but enjoyed watching the search itself, the big machinery and engineering used, not to mention the technology that has been brought in at various points There does seem to be some genuine historic bits and pieces unearthed from time to time, although they are along way from being treasure...

I also enjoyed listening too (and having a chuckle at) the various theories, some very outlandish, that were put forward...

A lot has obviously gone on on the island in the past, and the swamp does seem to be man made so I would love to read a genuine history of the Island, a history supported by main stream Archaeologists/historians...

All that said, this last series has gotten very tedious, and I am struggling to get enthused watching Gary get excited about a bit of cut wood or an old iron spike....

To me, the real question with Oak Island is whether you are able to separate the notion that treasure has to be found with the other stories taking place on the island. The other stories involve a rich history of exploration involving various methods of science. I do enjoy watching Oak Island for the history lessons and the science involved. I also enjoy the family/relationship element they've brought to the show. Will they find treasure? Who knows? For the first time, I do think it's dragging on a bit. If it weren't for Oak Island, I wouldn't be a detectorist right now and wouldn't be posting on this board. For that, I'm thankful.

Thank you for answering that. And so that you know : OF COURSE you will only find points of view that are "Pro" Dents-Run-Dennis views there on T'net. Because skeptical views of Dents Run are not allowed there. To point out flaws and failures of the story, to logically follow through, will get you banned there.

Hence, naturally, you're only hearing one-side of the story there.

Who said anything about Dennis "making this up" ? I have no doubt at all that Dennis is quite sincere. Ie.: that he sincerely believes it's there. Or it was stolen, or whatever. Hence he hasn't "made anything up". Ie.: He's not "lying".

People can be sincere all-the-time, yet be "sincerely mistaken". Ok ?

There are people who believe in Area 51 conspiracies, Bigfoot, tooth-fairies, etc.... And none of them "make anything up". They are quite sincere. They have no financial motive. Yet they fail to look at more-plausible-explanations to the salacious details they assert.

For example, they fail the "correlation is-not-necessarily causation" logical fallacy all-the-time. :roll: Yet at no point are they anything less than sincere. Albeit : Sincerely mistaken.

What do you make of the outside company hired by the FBI, that stated something was there?

Although, on his own page, the states says they returned items to him that were not Civil war relics, yet he claimed they were.

Ahhh, if people only used their brain when it comes to religion :)

To me, the real question with Oak Island is whether you are able to separate the notion that treasure has to be found with the other stories taking place on the island. The other stories involve a rich history of exploration involving various methods of science. I do enjoy watching Oak Island for the history lessons and the science involved. I also enjoy the family/relationship element they've brought to the show. Will they find treasure? Who knows? For the first time, I do think it's dragging on a bit. If it weren't for Oak Island, I wouldn't be a detectorist right now and wouldn't be posting on this board. For that, I'm thankful.

Same here.

What do you make of the outside company hired by the FBI, that stated something was there?....

Got a link to what you are referring to ?

..... Ahhh, if people only used their brain when it comes to religion :)

If, by that, you mean, evidence for the existence of God (or Intelligent design, or whatever you want to call it), then : There is more plausible evidence for that, than there is for Dennis's nonsense. :roll:

Just a thought to consider:

IF someone did find a treasure worth that much, they likely might not publicize it and maybe have many many salespeople and telemarketers contacting them trying to sell them stuff :laughing:
That would be why so many lottery winners try to keep their good fortune quiet.

That would be why so many lottery winners try to keep their good fortune quiet.

Well gee, the "finding of a treasure" hasn't kept Dennis quiet, now has it ? :laughing: He's rang the bells of every news-outlet that he can find. Rattling chains begging to get his "found" (past tense) treasure publicized.

And gee, this supposed "shy" rationale never seems to keep us md'rs from boasting our trophies here @ our show & tell. Eh ? EVEN VALUABLE STUFF ! We LOVE to boast, and get our well-deserved atteboys.

Hence, no, I do not buy the "shy" excuse. That , supposedly, treasures are found, but golly .... the dudes are just too shy to come forward. A big part of our hobby is the competition factor. It's no different than any sport or hobby. Eg.: Chess, skiing, golf, etc..... Ie.: If you FINALLY achieve a triple back flip somersault when snow-skiing, then you DARN WELL HOPE your buddies were there to see it. And/or captured it on film. MD'ing is no different.

Well gee, the "finding of a treasure" hasn't kept Dennis quiet, now has it ? :laughing: He's rang the bells of every news-outlet that he can find. Rattling chains begging to get his "found" (past tense) treasure publicized.

And gee, this supposed "shy" rationale never seems to keep us md'rs from boasting our trophies here @ our show & tell. Eh ? EVEN VALUABLE STUFF ! We LOVE to boast, and get our well-deserved atteboys.

Hence, no, I do not buy the "shy" excuse. That , supposedly, treasures are found, but golly .... the dudes are just too shy to come forward. A big part of our hobby is the competition factor. It's no different than any sport or hobby. Eg.: Chess, skiing, golf, etc..... Ie.: If you FINALLY achieve a triple back flip somersault when snow-skiing, then you DARN WELL HOPE your buddies were there to see it. And/or captured it on film. MD'ing is no different.

......maybe they might keep secrets in comedy films ? :laughing: (just joking Tom :lol: saw that pic and got that idea and had to post it :lol:)
laurel_and_hardy_treasure_secret.jpg

Got a link to what you are referring to ?

If, by that, you mean, evidence for the existence of God (or Intelligent design, or whatever you want to call it), then : There is more plausible evidence for that, than there is for Dennis's nonsense. :roll:

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylva...cords-on-civil-war-gold-hunt-in-pennsylvania/

The FBI brought in its own contractor — the geophysical consulting firm Enviroscan — which said its sensitive equipment detected a 9-ton metallic mass suggestive of gold, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed last year at the request of news organizations including The Associated Press.

On Monday, Mehta ordered the government to include Enviroscan’s report to the FBI, along with FBI photos taken at the site, in the first batch of documents it turns over to Finders Keepers.

But the judge declined to compel the Justice Department to explain a discrepancy in the number of video files it says it has of the dig. Finders Keepers said in a court filing last month that the FBI initially said its records included 17 video files. Now, the government claims there are only four videos. Federal officials have not explained the discrepancy, the treasure hunters said.

The FBI brought in its own contractor — the geophysical consulting firm Enviroscan — which said its sensitive equipment detected a 9-ton metallic mass suggestive of gold, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed last year at the request of news organizations including The Associated Press......

Some things are wrong with that quote :

1) "Says who ?" If you google that combination of words, you get the same exact quote, from various other papers. Sounds to me like someone says that someone else said something. Heaven-forbid telephone game enters in. Then someone else morphs it into "This was exactly said", and then other sources pick it up and "links lead to links".

For example, similar word combo's lead to prior news sources, a year or more earlier, that said that , supposedly, Enviroscan had said "7 to 9 tons". Now it's morphed to 9 tons. Eh ?

And even THAT was at the prodding of one of Dennis's hitmen :roll: Ie.: Another goofball who is in league with Dennis and the belief. The quote starts there, as to what he thinks the FBI guy said. People have a tendency to interpret everything in light of their "prior commitments".

2) Stop and think for a minute man-in-the-wall : Think about "7 to 9 tons". Dude : I own a street sweeper company. Our street sweepers (the full-size municipal rigs) weigh 8 tons. It would take a crane to lift them. But hold on, let me guess : 7 to 9 tons of gold was curried in a couple of wagons pulled by horses or mules or whatever, eh ?

And stop and multiply that through the current spot market of melt-gold-value. Isn't that something like the entire reserves of some nations ?

3) And since when can any electronic device, aimed in from the surface, without digging an item up, TELL YOU THE WEIGHT ?? Perhaps size (dimension). But not weight.

For example: A metal detector can beep and tell you a metal object is down there. But can it tell you the weight of the object ? No. Of course not. You have to put it on a scale to know that ! Can anyone here tell us of any equipment that can tell someone an approx. weight, from a distance, w/o ever touching or seeing the object ??

Aren't you smelling something fishy ? I think these lovely quotes are just skewed tid-bits, twisted out of context by Dennis-&-gang, and then he runs and tells every news agency that : "The FBI said such & such "

Then gee, if that is proof of a fabulous treasure, then : I must have a treasure in my backyard too then. There is no doubt a spike, some wood, etc.... there. Who woulda-thunk-it ?? :?:

Oh but your wood and iron spikes aren't old :detector:

Back
Top Bottom