Nokta/Makro SMF (My Prediction)

Hunting my own property resulted in a whole bunch of clad (mostly pennies).

I know how most of that clad got there...

Some 20-25 years ago my niece and nephew spent the summer with us and one day they were a bit restless so I handed them a large container full of change and told them to count it for me. They were sitting on the front steps and didn't know I was going to give them all the coins.

I didn't realize they weren't too thrilled with counting all that change - until I metal detected my front yard (years later) and found a whole bunch of coins. I figured they had tossed a good amount of the coins out in the yard, and confirmed it when I asked my niece about it. She was surprised that I discovered their act of retaliation all those years later.

My niece also told me how shocked they were when I gave them the coins they had actually counted (about $60 worth) - especially so since they knew (at that time) that they had thrown a bunch of coins away.

I don't recall, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they spent some time in the front yard trying to find all the coins they had tossed there once they knew the coins were theirs.

I have found a ton of pennies in my front yard, too. They range from wheats to coppers to plenty of zincolns...as many as 45+ in just one hole. My front yard is fairly small, too. I can tell that my front yard has some pretty old and undetected dirt (the Merc was from 1916 and I found a token in my front yard from around 1900).

I've tried detecting a few other houses on my block, but they're not as old and I've found far fewer coins there.

There is this other home on my block that's probably as old as mine, but is on a busy corner/intersection. If their front yard has the same ratio of coins as mine, I estimate there's about $2 in pennies and about 5 silvers. I think that'll be one of my next permissions...

granted this may be some what of a reach, but with the exception of "private yards"
single frequency detectors have been relegated (for the most part) to "clad getters" here in the east. multi-iq is definitely where it's at,as the technology is providing the "edge" needed to continue to slam public places on a continuing basis. I am finding "adequate" success in public places using the vanquish 540.my soil is "lightly mineralized" which by itself is a key factor with s.m.f., and the 540 is getting it done well enough for me to maintain a level of interest after being in the hobby for a long time.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Been watching eBay the last few days. Equinox 600 for $425,,buy it now with watchers, been sitting and no commitment,for at least 3 days. . Multiple At max's are getting bid on and well over $500 already.. At pros ,multiple machines getting bid on and all over the $400 mark already... I've got no problem with minelab and own a equinox. . But I know I'm right when I say outside of these forums Garrett is still way more desirable than minelab.. Proof is I'm the pudding as some say

Been watching eBay the last few days. Equinox 600 for $425,,buy it now with watchers, been sitting and no commitment,for at least 3 days. . Multiple At max's are getting bid on and well over $500 already.. At pros ,multiple machines getting bid on and all over the $400 mark already... I've got no problem with minelab and own a equinox. . But I know I'm right when I say outside of these forums Garrett is still way more desirable than minelab.. Proof is I'm the pudding as some say

Interesting example Woody……

I just checked all Garrett AT series, Pro, Gold and Max sales under EBay’s completed/sold listings since June 1st. 38 were sold up until 2pm MST June 12th.
Same time period for Equinox completed/sold during the same time period = 36.

I personally don’t care who has the best sales or is most popular, has the best advertising or the best “cult”. I have owned an AT Pro for a little while and owned an AT Gold for 6 years. I still own 2 Equinox 800s for performance reasons and nothing else.

I don’t own a Garrett APEX because after using one for a week, it just could not handle the mineralization here even though it is SMF. Hopefully, Nokta Makro’s SMF will do well here.

My local dealer is going to stop carrying the AT Gold and AT Max. He only sells enough AT Pros and APEX to warrant continuing to carry them. The Equinox 800 is outselling the 600 by 4 to 1. It is outselling all of the Garretts combined by 8 to 1. Those are his totals. I’m not making this up. I was at his shop yesterday. He sold 3 Equinox 800s and 4 Vanquish models while I was there training him on how to use gold prospecting detectors. He had no other detector sales. I know that is just a snapshot but…………

Last edited:

There are 4 used Minelab Equinox's 600/800 for sale and 15 used Garrett AT pro/max. You might say the lack of Equinox's for sale meant it was more desirable if very few are on the used market.

I have never owned a Garrett, but I have hunted with a buddy who used one a few times while we were hunting together. He started with the ATpro as his first detector. He owns a bunch of different detectors now including Nokta/Makro, Minelab, XP Deus, and the Garrett ATpro. The guy is no slouch when it comes to finding stuff. I can only think of two or three times he used his ATpro out of all the times we have hunted together. The only guy I know personally who owns a Garrett ATpro seldom uses it. That should tell you something about how it stacks up against the other detectors he owns.

Why would you buy a Garrett AT series when you could buy a Nokta/Makro Anfibio or Impact that allows the choice of different 3 frequencies for the same money or less than an ATmax cost? I think the Impact and Anfibio are also more feature rich to boot. If I wasn't swinging a Minelab I would be swinging a Nokta/Makro.

I'll take your word on those numbers, as they mostly coincide with what I've been observing. That price for the 600 is unusually low, though.

Just a few months ago, most 600s were probably closer to $500-$550 on eBay if I recall correctly. But those machines probably came with a little bit more, like at least a few months of warranty and a few more accessories like...oh, I don't know, the charging cord. :roll: Also, the close up shots of the control pod are blurry. Not a sign that the seller is a fraud, but subtle listing deficiencies like that can reduce the overall price of your item.

And I agree, outside of forums like this one (or any others where well-experienced and knowledgeable metal detectorists visit), Garretts seem to be commanding slightly higher prices.

I haven't done any research, but I wouldn't be surprised if the average price of a sold AT Max or AT Pro from here is lower than from eBay. But to be fair, eBay charges sales tax, a selling fee of 10% (now it's 12% I think?) and if money is sent through Paypal, there's the 3% cut or so from there.

Nice try Woody.

Pick and choose to find a fly in the ointment.

Florida is one of the higher populated states in USA.
Wonder what the Floridians are buying and using?
There was a sponsor here who weighed in on his sales some time back.
Think it was like 4 to 1. Correction 29 to 1. In sales of EQX over the comp.
And he likely sells to folks outside of Florida too.

Why multifreq is so popular.
Because most of the USA population is where?
Near the coastline.

Nice part is when a detector can be a good coin, jewelry, and Relic machine plus salt beach machine. Wonder which detector series fits the billing?

Curious.
What will At Pro do the simplex won’t do? Coil size for coil size.
I don’t know. Have my hunch though.
I bet the simplex is more stable in salt sand than at Pro is.

There are a few things I try and never do.
#1 take an indefensible position and try to defend.

Cheers Woody.
I’ll stay tuned for the next episode of Garrett leads the way vs Minelab.

Nice try Woody.

Pick and choose to find a fly in the ointment.

Florida is one of the higher populated states in USA.
Wonder what the Floridians are buying and using?
There was a sponsor here who weighed in on his sales some time back.
Think it was like 4 to 1.
And he likely sells to folks outside of Florida too.

Why multifreq is so popular.
Because most of the USA population is where?
Near the coastline.

Nice part is when a detector can be a good coin, jewelry, and Relic machine plus salt beach machine. Wonder which detector series fits the billing?

Curious.
What will At Pro do the simplex won’t do? Coil size for coil size.
I don’t know. Have my hunch though.
I bet the simplex is more stable in salt sand than at Pro is.

There are a few things I try and never do.
#1 take an indefensible position and try to defend.

Cheers Woody.
I’ll stay tuned for the next episode of Garrett leads the way vs Minelab.

Curious: what brand of metal detectors is more recognized by a "civilian" who's just entering the hobby of metal detecting?

I agree that Garretts aren't what they used to be in relation to the competition. But from a marketing and brand recognition perspective, they're doing pretty well.

Yeah that was a real dealer giving us real percentages.
Yesteryear vs current (when he posted).

Oh, Woody.
You seem to be forgetting something.
How about the little ole Vanquish?
Yeah another part of the WALL built by Minelab. Hard to get under or over that wall, right?'

Wall got lower and taller it seems.

Last edited:
Wow, reality sure gets folks stirred up, gotta stop living in virtual reality

Yeah, reality can suck when it doesn’t match up with one’s own personal opinion.

There are plenty of quality detectors that really hold their value as used detectors. The Garrett AT Series, Equinox and Deus definitely consistently do that at the moment and so do some other detectors.

Yeah, reality can suck when it doesn’t match up with one’s own personal opinion.

There are plenty of quality detectors that really hold their value as used detectors. The Garrett AT Series, Equinox and Deus definitely consistently do that at the moment and so do some other detectors.

I agree 100%. I hope people know I really don't care who makes the best ,or which is better..I just like getting TN to look up old threads and repost them.:laughing:..

Last edited:
If folks will go back and look at my post history.
You’ll see where I basically say White’s was doomed.
And notice what happened.
They’re gone.

So, folks can read and believe what they want.

Same ole same ole, you keep making those.
Wonder what will happen?

I think I have a very good feel for who owns what in the market share dept.
We have to be looking outside of USA as well.
Those folks spend money too on detectors.

One can get tunnel vision real easy.

Be curious to know how many AT series Garrett’s sold in UK last 3 years?
Vs the 3 years before.
That Deus stole some of the market share too. ORX too. Makro Nokta too.

Looking at forum sponsor listings.
I can buy Minelab 440 vanquish plus Nokta Makro simplex for $533

Or one Garrett At Pro for $552

Shifting gears just a tad...

I've read several claims that XP is working on a SMF machine. No word from XP, but the claim doesn't seem to be unreasonable. At the very least I would expect XP to be working on some sort of new machine/technology (based on the assumption that XP would like to maintain/grow market share).

IMO XP has taken somewhat of a band-aid approach to water hunting; although I have to admit that the ORX did very well in the wet salt sand when I've tried it. (I have not tried my Deus in the wet salt sand - but have no doubt that it would do as well).

If my take is somewhat accurate - and water hunting isn't a major target as far as XP is concerned, does SMF really benefit XP performance-wise (in the market that XP seems to target)?

If SMF does offer a marketable benefit to XP (other than water hunting, that is) is it possible that XP could offer new coils that can operate SMF - without creating a whole new machine?

If so, it seems that XP could throw a monkey wrench into the whole SMF market by offering a SMF coil (even at $400) that can be paired with the current remote/headphones. Buy the new coil and do the free update - voila, you've got a flagship SMF machine for $400 (assuming XP can do such a thing).

Personally, I would find such an option to be irresistible.

Looking at forum sponsor listings.
I can buy Minelab 440 vanquish plus Nokta Makro simplex for $533

Or one Garrett At Pro for $552

But if a potential consumer is unaware that Minelab or Nokta/Makro metal detectors even exist, or are under impression those are cut-rate companies, then the price difference becomes irrelevant (or close to it).

Back in 2008/2009 when I was first looking into this hobby, I didn't even know Minelab existed, let alone offered high-quality metal detectors that I might consider buying. All I knew of was: Tesoro, White's, Garrett and Fisher.

Back
Top Bottom