im new here

GMWUNK

hi everyone from northern california. just getting in the fun hobby of treasure hunting and fishing. any pointers and laws please let me know. using a couple md and also love my magnets

Welcome from Salinas, CA. I'm sure you've read the rules here by now: All CA md'rs must pay me 30% of their finds. I accept paypal. Now go find some cool stuff ! :cool3:

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

As far as any pointers you asked for, here is an important one to start:

Before you dig elsewhere, practice in your own yard first on how to dig proper plugs and replace them to make it look as if you never dug in the first place.

You mentioned magnets also, I remembered there were past discussions related to magnet fishing, here is just one example:

Magnet fishing II

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=283424&highlight=magnet

Gary mds5.gif

hi everyone from northern california. just getting in the fun hobby of treasure hunting and fishing. any pointers and laws please let me know. using a couple md and also love my magnets

Welcome GM from The San Francisco Bay Area .
Any metal detecting questions relating to Laws or jurisdictional issues can be answered by our resident expert aka " The Perry Mason of the FMDF " otherwise known as Tom_in_CA .
Also pictures of finds are a must as the motto around here is " if there's no pics it didn't happen" . Most here are pretty cordial , our moderators are quite efficient at dealing with troublemakers , trolls, political activists and other "pot stirrers " . You should find your visits here both enlightening and enjoyable .
Best of luck to you !

YO! From the North Bay. National parks are off limits.
Some county parks too, state parks are a no no except some beaches.
Happy hunting.

... state parks are a no no except some beaches....

"Some" state ocean beaches ? Which state beaches here do you think MD'ing is a no-no at ? And what law/rule are you seeing that says that ? You will not find an over-arching state-of-CA park's dept. rule that says "no md'ing". Maybe a singular regional location exception at a historic sensitive monument, is all. Ok, fine, we avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But as for state of CA beaches (and even some inland state parks terra-firma, as long as not historically themed): MD'ing is common on all state of CA ocean beaches.

If anyone was ever scrammed at a state-of-CA beach, then it was A) a fluke, and B) some over-zealous ranger was no doubt basing in on "harvest and remove" verbiage. or C) cultural heritage (ok, fine, you're not finding anything old). and D) I have a sneaking suspicion of why anyone has ever gotten scrammed at any state-of-CA beach, in the first place.

If you can point me to any state of CA ocean beach, where it's not allowed, I would love to see how that conclusion was arrived at.

"Some" state ocean beaches ? Which state beaches here do you think MD'ing is a no-no at ? And what law/rule are you seeing that says that ? You will not find an over-arching state-of-CA park's dept. rule that says "no md'ing". Maybe a singular regional location exception at a historic sensitive monument, is all. Ok, fine, we avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But as for state of CA beaches (and even some inland state parks terra-firma, as long as not historically themed): MD'ing is common on all state of CA ocean beaches.

If anyone was ever scrammed at a state-of-CA beach, then it was A) a fluke, and B) some over-zealous ranger was no doubt basing in on "harvest and remove" verbiage. or C) cultural heritage (ok, fine, you're not finding anything old). and D) I have a sneaking suspicion of why anyone has ever gotten scrammed at any state-of-CA beach, in the first place.

If you can point me to any state of CA ocean beach, where it's not allowed, I would love to see how that conclusion was arrived at.

Oh my, tom. I thought you were just an old cranky guy. Where did that "Public land = detecting land" thing come up? Or am I just too lazy to read your really long posts? :lol:

... Where did that "Public land = detecting land" thing come up? ...

Didn't you read the quote that directly preceded that ? It implied that some state beaches here in CA are a no-no. *That's* where it "came up" .

Oh my, tom. I thought you were just an old cranky guy. Where did that "Public land = detecting land" thing come up? Or am I just too lazy to read your really long posts? :lol:

Didn't you read the quote that directly preceded that ? It implied that some state beaches here in CA are a no-no. *That's* where it "came up" .

WHAT ????? ....maybe he never saw your lobbyist button yet ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Tom_in_CA lobbyist button.jpg

Welcome from Pa.here! Like others have said, learn how to do a nice plug and always fill in your holes so it’s as near to undetectable as possible. Of course you always need to get permission on private land and take any trash you dig up with you. Do not leave it behind. Hope you have good luck and enjoy yourself!

Back
Top Bottom