Latest finds for January. (England)

Doug

Elite Member
Finds from several farm sites over several weeks.

Thanks for looking..........Doug.

2 lead bag seals top, bottom left part of a Somerset Light Infantry badge.
wAXRNLd.jpg

Top left, bull nose ring. Thankfully the bull was not attached to it when found!
d8IPe5X.jpg

Livery button.
pVXkz1O.jpg

uhNWHKc.jpg

Possible medieval strap end or book fastener? Approx 2 inches long.
wW3HWrY.jpg

XGXmMlV.jpg

Watch winder?
2faNxXl.jpg

Buckle 1620-1680 (part of)

vYxqduc.jpg

Example.
9MJoipk.jpg

George 5th silver florin.
Fkmvksf.jpg

eto4Gxy.jpg

Surface find. Supplier of store and display materials, Netherlands.
L46dfwo.jpg

Always enjoy seeing what you dig up! You must have quite the collection at this point. Do you have some system of displaying or labeling everything?

Always enjoy seeing what you dig up! You must have quite the collection at this point. Do you have some system of displaying or labeling everything?

Thank you TS.

With over 4 decades in the hobby I would not really have the space or the time to log them all.

However I do keep a photographic record of finds made easier with the advent of digital cameras. Currently close on four thousand photographs on my computer.

There are only two categories of finds that I keep which are very mundane on the level of finds that I have found over the years.

Coin weights and trade weights, very low tech, very tactile, and two types artefacts which we will never see again in this modern age of computers and digitalisation?

Depending of various factors, my finds are returned to the landowners, donated to the museum, with the landowners permission, sold and once again, with the landowners permission the money raised donated to the local hospice.

There are various metals which I can and do recycle, money raised goes to the hospice.

Last November I sold all my scrap metal which I had a value found over the previous 15 months, this raised around $150 for the local hospice.

Trade weight. The 'coffee pot' (7 O'clock)or ewer is a symbol of the Worshipful Company of Founders. .
4CIRpkd.jpg

Coin weight.
Ii2BCRU.jpg

I can't talk for Doug, but it's finds are i guess (and partly know from UK forums) far the same as overhere (also in europe).

Here everything younger then 1500 has no archeological interest. Unless it contains important history (as famous battles or such) or big worth (treasure finds and such).
A simple copper from 1570 or a 17th ct. buckle is of non interest. Perhaps weird for you overthere to hear, but here our history is much older and younger finds are much more available. To much for registering.

Therefore i do not take the efford to register anything of it, and only me pre-1500 finds are (officially) registred.

Off course i myself know were i found interesting finds so in my head i know were to go back for chance to find simular.

Here's an overview of regular european finds which have NONE archeolocal interest (exept for some on that website). You will see a lot of those would have overthere.
https://erfgoedsporen.wordpress.com/blog/

I can't talk for Doug, but it's finds are i guess (and partly know from UK forums) far the same as overhere (also in europe).

Here everything younger then 1500 has no archeological interest. Unless it contains important history (as famous battles or such) or big worth (treasure finds and such)......

Yeah...I understand all of that. I'm just asking about whether (and how) he keeps it all organized and labeled for his own collection and show and tell. He finds a lot of small relics apparently worth keeping (even if they have no archaeological significance). It just seems like he has likely has accumulated a large amount or small relics that can't simply be easily put into a coin flip and labeled.

Thank you TS.

With over 4 decades in the hobby I would not really have the space or the time to log them all........

Very interesting! Sounds like you've worked out a good system that balances a lot of different factors!

Very interesting! Sounds like you've worked out a good system that balances a lot of different factors!

Thank you TS.

I do make the effort and the journey to our local museum to have some artifacts and coins recorded on to the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) public assessable data base.

Once they have been recorded I then ask the landowner if they want the item back or donate it to the museum under their name for research purposes.

These are just just 3 examples of items donated to the museum by the landowner(s) after being recorded.

Two seals and a ring.

Link:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/943914

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/843391

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/833332

Yeah...I understand all of that. I'm just asking about whether (and how) he keeps it all organized and labeled for his own collection and show and tell. He finds a lot of small relics apparently worth keeping (even if they have no archaeological significance). It just seems like he has likely has accumulated a large amount or small relics that can't simply be easily put into a coin flip and labeled.

Oohw that's what you meanth.
Can't speak for Doug again, only for myself and my finds.

About 200 pre-1500 finds (up to stoneage) are in my display cabinet in the livingroom.
As also about 30-40 interesting post-1500 are, and some 35 fossiles 5 mln up to 500 million BC. Which is the most interesting 7-8 percent of all my interesting finds.

About 800 registered finds from 3000BC - 1500AD ...
These are the about 1000 registered finds, which i have numbered to connect them with the official national registrations.

And a few thousend post-1500 finds ......are all in bags, carton boxes, and sorted in plastic boxes
with compartments. :whistle: Sorry. :D

A few hundred interesting coins are in a map and in a coin cabinet.
Double that amount of less interesting coins also are in plastic boxes with compartments.
Many thousends of less nice or interesting to worst (flatworn) coins are sold with rubbish finds at the scrapyard as scrap.
A box with hundreds of 1500 to 1900 all kinds of pottery shards outside.

Together several thousends of finds (non-rubbish). Not feasible, not interesting and far too intensive to organize and register all that.
I would need about two rooms to all box or display them. I guess my wife would not .... :lol:

Here some examples for you on image and i hope you get some impression now.

My smalest box w/ interesting latest finds, and a bag with less interesting (still about 10-12 laying around waiting to be conserved)

A1.jpg

1 of about 6-7 boxes with post-1500's

A2.jpg

1 of 8 drawers from my cabinet

A3.jpg

One bag of two in a box with roman pottery.

A4.jpg

Last edited:
Oohw that's what you meanth.
Can't speak for Doug again, only for myself and my finds...............

Wow! Impressive! Around here anything can have archaeological significance if an archaeologist decides to take an interest and says it's significant. I've seen and read about digs for early 1900's sites. The city "planners" of the 1960s-1970s in many US cities were the worst enemy of the archaeological record and historic buildings. After WWII, anybody with any sort of money fled the cities to the new suburbs and by the 1960s and 70s the city planners and private developers were tearing down and paving everything in sight. Parking lots, public housing projects, and nondescript office buildings.

Wow! Impressive!

I dig that. Must be frustrating for you overthere that we here find up to 17th ct about 80% each hunt. that regular that it is very common and ends in bags and boxes. Sorry.
For me in person finds become interesting when from before 1600.
Still you overthere find very nice finds we overhere will never find. I see them pass by often. So we also remain jealous. :D

If you ever come to the netherlands, then pm me and i will try to go hunt with you. On a spot were finding ironage/roman/medieval is 90% and up. :thumbsup:

And if anyone is interested in ironage/roman/medieval pottery shards, i am thinking about selling a couple of hundreds.

If you ever come to the netherlands, then pm me and i will try to go hunt with you. On a spot were finding ironage/roman/medieval is 90% and up. :thumbsup:

Actually, we were going to take a 2 week long vacation this summer and my wife watched a bunch of travel shows and picked the Netherlands to be the home base. She has never been out of the country and neither have our kids. I spent a week in Belgium and the Netherlands many years ago for work. Loved it. We decided to push the trip back one year to let our youngest get 1 year older and have some additional planning time. If nothing else, I might PM you about some "insider" local things to do.

Back
Top Bottom