Something to be Thankful for.

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
On Thursday morning I had my truck and trailer loaded and I was about to be on my way to spend my first Thanksgiving at my new property up in Fort Pierce. I was cinching down the last strap over my kayak. Since the strap was fully extended I only had about an inch of strap to grab onto. I grabbed a big pair of channel lock pliers to get a grip on the strap. I was tugging with all my might, towards my face when the pliers lost their grip. I had no time to react. The end of the pliers handle I was only about 12 inches from my face. The blunt rubber coated end of the handle struck me in the eye socket right above my eyeball. It was like a sledgehammer and dropped me to the ground. My skin got clammy and I felt like I was going to throw up. With my hand cupped over my eye I still had no idea what the damage was, although I know I really messed up and I thought I was going to need an ambulance. With a combination of adrenaline and curiosity, I managed to make it to my bathroom. On the way I opened my injured eye and realized it was still working. Nothing was blurry and I could control the eye, but I had extreme double vision. There was no way I could walk with both eyes open. I went to the Mirror to see the damage. A clean 1/2 inch gash. I superglued the cut and have been icing my eye periodically since it happened. Double vision is an absolute nightmare. The only thing that works is looking through your good eye. Even though the misaligned eye can see clearly, it is not looking in the spot where the brain thinks is so it's very disorienting and makes you dizzy. Like vertigo feeling. The DV is slowly subsiding. I actually drove to the neighborhood store this morning. I will be going to an eye doctor this week. A half inch lower and I would have lost my eye. So for that, I am o so thankful. Count your blessings. See ya.😉

Attachments

• 20191130_132540.jpg
    20191130_132540.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 20191129_214754.jpg
    20191129_214754.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 267
Holy dizzle dazzle! What a horrible post and pics Scoundrel! Cautionary!

Life is tough on people, especially Humans!...I knew a guy, maybe 20yrs ago...., hell, probably more like 30 now...anyway, his one eye looked all sorts of fussed up 6 ways from Sunday with a square pupil like a goat has...

He said he was blind in it...It was hard to talk to this guy with that fussed up square eyeball., like the guy had a big old booger on his upper lip only it was this messed up square looking goat eyeball...So one day I upped and axed him what the deal was with that fussed up square eyeball he is sporting and what the hell happened...

Well he told me, one day he was changing his brakes on a '92 Ford Ranger, and we all know how the fronts are disc and no problem to change? Damn near easier to change than socks....Well the rears are drum, and take a bit of consideration sometimes.... you gotta take a screwdriver and stretch the retract spring on the rear brakes? Yeah sure..I've done that, we all have....

Well, he said, he was in a hurry and gave a mighty tug on that coil spring,and it slipped off the screwdriver, and he drove the screwdriver right into his eyeball socket!....

I'm like WTH! You stabbed yourself right into the eyeball! "Yeah" he said...

I'm like...."OK...I could easily see that happening....BTW, Was your Ford Ranger a 6 cyl 4.0? Thats a great motor".....I changed the subject..the we talked about how easy it is to change out the Serp belt and the starter and blower motor...

Early 90's Ford Rangers were so easy to work on! It was just the damn rear drum brakes that might get a guys eye poked out.. Not at all like a VW or a Lexus where a guy could get dinged in the ocular socket with the key fob...

That looks like total hell there Scoundrel!...Pain is horrible! Seems to be a thing with Humans...Maybe give yourself a good kick in the balz to take your mind off of it? Maybe get a neighbor to do this for you?... Maybe punch your own munchkin and save a few dollars..?

Wow, glad it was not worse and hope things go well at the eye doctor !

Make sure they check to see if your eye pressure is normal in both eyes, years ago doing yard work I had a branch fling back and scratch my eye, the scratch turned out to be no big deal but if it wasn't for going to the eye doctor for the scratch I would not have known I had the beginnings of Glaucoma as they checked my eye pressure, now taking eye drops to keep the pressure under control and prevent any further damage.

Holy dizzle dazzle! What a horrible post and pics Scoundrel! Cautionary!

Life is tough on people, especially Humans!...I knew a guy, maybe 20yrs ago...., hell, probably more like 30 now...anyway, his one eye looked all sorts of fussed up 6 ways from Sunday with a square pupil like a goat has...

He said he was blind in it...It was hard to talk to this guy with that fussed up square eyeball., like the guy had a big old booger on his upper lip only it was this messed up square looking goat eyeball...So one day I upped and axed him what the deal was with that fussed up square eyeball he is sporting and what the hell happened...

Well he told me, one day he was changing his brakes on a '92 Ford Ranger, and we all know how the fronts are disc and no problem to change? Damn near easier to change than socks....Well the rears are drum, and take a bit of consideration sometimes.... you gotta take a screwdriver and stretch the retract spring on the rear brakes? Yeah sure..I've done that, we all have....

Well, he said, he was in a hurry and gave a mighty tug on that coil spring,and it slipped off the screwdriver, and he drove the screwdriver right into his eyeball socket!....

I'm like WTH! You stabbed yourself right into the eyeball! "Yeah" he said...

I'm like...."OK...I could easily see that happening....BTW, Was your Ford Ranger a 6 cyl 4.0? Thats a great motor".....I changed the subject..the we talked about how easy it is to change out the Serp belt and the starter and blower motor...

Early 90's Ford Rangers were so easy to work on! It was just the damn rear drum brakes that might get a guys eye poked out.. Not at all like a VW or a Lexus where a guy could get dinged in the ocular socket with the key fob...

That looks like total hell there Scoundrel!...Pain is horrible! Seems to be a thing with Humans...Maybe give yourself a good kick in the balz to take your mind off of it? Maybe get a neighbor to do this for you?... Maybe punch your own munchkin and save a few dollars..?

Sorry for the injury Scoundrel and I am not laughing at you one bit!

However, Mud I gotta chime in here bc I have a 1996 ranger 4.0 and just changed the plug and wires this week! You are right a great engine and still going strong! I nearly spit my coffee out with the screwdriver to the eyeball story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the injury Scoundrel and I am not laughing at you one bit!

However, Mud I gotta chime in here bc I have a 1996 ranger 4.0 and just changed the plug and wires this week! You are right a great engine and still going strong! I nearly spit my coffee out with the screwdriver to the eyeball story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense taken. I had a 94 Ranger with a 6 cylinder and extended cab that I loved before I bought my Tacoma. I regret selling it to this day.

Another tough guy, nice recovery bro!

Could have been a lot worse..

Rum will fix the rest..:pirate:

<°)))>{

UFFFF, that really stinks man! I understand exactly how you did that, i have almost clobbered myself before. You really ought to see a doctor when you can get out.

Glad you didn’t lose your eye. My co-worker’s wife was recently using a shelf mounted air compressor, filling her young son’s bike tire. The fitting on the air hose came loose from the base of the compressor, the fitting came back under pressure and smacked her in the eye, with enough force to break her eye socket. She has lost 90% of her sight in that eye, many long trips to the hospital.

Good luck Scoundrel...

On the bright side of the worst case, what if you end up with an eye patch? I really can't think of anyone else it would be more appropriate for...

<°)))>{

Just trying to help you see the good in the bad..

Any updates on the catscan?

<°)))>{

That was sarcasm. The pirate jokes were already flying around.
I did go to three different stores to find an eye patch, but they all sold the same one. It looks like a mini bra cup from one of those Madonna videos. No self-respecting pirate would be caught dead in one of these.

The CAT scan was negative. No damage to the orbital socket. There was no eye doctor at the ER but they did get him on the phone. He said the double vision most likely is due to inflammation of muscle tissue around the eye. I'm going to see him later on today. Double vision sucks. Four days now.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_071235.jpg
    IMG_20191202_071235.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 194
Ouch...:shock: Glad to hear you're on the mend. After 40 years in construction, I've had some close calls myself. Some years ago, I hit myself in the chest with a 24" pipe wrench. Cracked 2 ribs. Be careful out there.....:yes:

I got a laugh out of the Madonna eye patch..

Damn, hopefully your vision gets straight. Now I know if I have enough rum I can see double, have you tried giving that a rest? Also wondering if you are already seeing double, can rum possibly get you back to regular, or would it go quadruple? Either way it's worth a shot!

Good luck Scoundrel!

<°)))>{

Good luck Scoundrel...

On the bright side of the worst case, what if you end up with an eye patch? I really can't think of anyone else it would be more appropriate for...

<°)))>{

Is it inappropriate to ask a guy with an eye patch if it was all fun and games up until then? :lol: :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom