Bullet with stamp, no clue

DorkyDeric

**UPDATE**
I added more photos, hopefully this will help!

So, I found this bullet today, but I am having trouble finding ANY info on it. I have a picture of it, I did not get one of the stamp but I know what it says. It is spaced out all around the bottom and just has "5 3 W T". The bullet is a 300 Win Mag, from the research I did. I also read that maybe military bullets have dates on them and I was thinking that the "53" was perhaps the year? I dunno, thoughts on this? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 324
  • bullet long.jpg
    bullet long.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 254
  • bullet tall.jpg
    bullet tall.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 239
  • bullet bottom.jpg
    bullet bottom.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
The 43 should be the year 1943. The two letters could be TW which is Twin Cities Ordnance Plant. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm sure others will comment that know more. A picture of the headstamp will help.

Cliff

My knowledge isn't vast but did the military use .300 Win Mag? Could it be 30.06?

My knowledge isn't vast but did the military use .300 Win Mag? Could it be 30.06?
Would need all the dimensions to know for sure. I don't know if the 300 Win Mag was around in 1943. After looking farther it came out in 1963 so it's not that. Could be a 7.62 x 67.

Cliff

30-06 was used by the military in the 1903 Springfield and the M1 so there are a lot of them out there.

The 30-06 would be about 63mm on the case, 85mm to the tip of the bullet. It looks like an 06 to me but pictures can lie about size.

Would need all the dimensions to know for sure. I don't know if the 300 Win Mag was around in 1943. After looking farther it came out in 1963 so it's not that. Could be a 7.62 x 67.

Cliff

I updated the post, and added pictures. Hopefully that will help. Thank you again for any info!

Ok, Mystery solved!! After I found it was a 30-06 (thanks to Longhair), I was able to do more research and find out that this was a military bullet manufactured in Twin Cities in 1953. I live in the CITY of Portland, so the real mystery is, why is there a military bullet buried in my yard? This is why I love MD'ing so much. You can just imagine stories with things that you find...

It was probably sold as surplus ammo. It was a very popular round for hunting, as the ammo was cheap. The Garand was also sold as surplus by the tens of thousands. I remember Woolworths sold surplus ammo and garands.

Ok, Mystery solved!! After I found it was a 30-06 (thanks to Longhair), I was able to do more research and find out that this was a military bullet manufactured in Twin Cities in 1953. I live in the CITY of Portland, so the real mystery is, why is there a military bullet buried in my yard? This is why I love MD'ing so much. You can just imagine stories with things that you find...

not unusual at all, considering the number manufactured.

It might have been brought home by a GI after WWII. My dad was with an MP group stationed in Washington State as part of the Manhattan Project. I have several rounds that he brought home after the war ended.

Cliff

It was probably sold as surplus ammo. It was a very popular round for hunting, as the ammo was cheap. The Garand was also sold as surplus by the tens of thousands. I remember Woolworths sold surplus ammo and garands.

I agree with this.

I have bought and shot a lot of surplus .30-06 ammo in my surplus Garand.
Lots of fun even if not the most accurate rifle.

I also find a lot of military .45 ACP cases detecting farms and fields. Sure these were all sold as surplus.

Back
Top Bottom