It's heavy brass, that's all I know

coptician

Measures 2.5" square, 2.1" tall. It's one solid piece, the knob doesn't turn. No holes for mounting to anything. My best guess on the lettering (x's are illegible): Top: COLBOR x x Bottom: x x x x ERS MA x x ' Y. There's also an "H" stamped right in the middle of the knob. Found in a farm field in Chesapeake, VA adjacent to a railroad track.

Attachments

• P1010353.JPG
    P1010353.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 388
  • P1010354.JPG
    P1010354.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 357
  • P1010355.JPG
    P1010355.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 355
Man i’m Tryin....before Benz gets it....but nothing. I'm of the mind that the first word might be colborne

The bottom looks like the only way it could attach to anything would be like snapping into a square hollow metal. I was thinking a fencepost finial, but a metal post doesn't sound right, and it wouldn't hold in wood.

Possibly. When I searched "colborne" I got a text for a pie making machine from 1905, but no pics.

Maybe part of this pie maker. That's a tough one for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181208-194938_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181208-194938_Samsung Internet.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 313
Maybe part of this pie maker. That's a tough one for sure.

Wow, I actually think you're onto something. If you look at the orientation of the writing on my piece, you can see that when the piece is oriented so that a square side is parallel with the ground, the words aren't centered properly around the circumference of the circle. But if you turn the piece 45 degrees counterclockwise, the letters line up and are centered around the circle. On your pic, the topmost "knob" is oriented with a corner pointing toward the ground. That would put the words in the proper place on the machine. Seems that this piece was cast to be viewed in that orientation.

Also, revisiting the second word, it could be "bakers"?

Wow, I actually think you're onto something. If you look at the orientation of the writing on my piece, you can see that when the piece is oriented so that a square side is parallel with the ground, the words aren't centered properly around the circumference of the circle. But if you turn the piece 45 degrees counterclockwise, the letters line up and are centered around the circle. On your pic, the topmost "knob" is oriented with a corner pointing toward the ground. That would put the words in the proper place on the machine. Seems that this piece was cast to be viewed in that orientation.

Also, revisiting the second word, it could be "bakers"?

Cool. Definite possibility. Maybe the center "H" stands for Height adjustment. Seems like you would have pulled down on that fixed "knob" to lower the height of the Trimmer/Rimmer down to the pie.

(or I could be completely wrong) :lol:

EDIT: Actually it looks like there is a floor pedal that lifts the pie UP to the Trimmer/Rimmer. There goes that theory.

Cool find. It reminds me that I need some pie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bottom line may read "Baker's Mach'y" or baker's machinery. It may be from some other type of baker's equipment.

It may be as simple as a stamp for marking the top crust of a pie with an "H". At the same time the crust is crimped and trimmed, it marks the pie. The pattern on the bottom forms an H. What's the H for ? Baker's name? I can't think of a type of pie which starts with H.
Huckleberry maybe?

It may be as simple as a stamp for marking the top crust of a pie with an "H". At the same time the crust is crimped and trimmed, it marks the pie. The pattern on the bottom forms an H. What's the H for ? Baker's name? I can't think of a type of pie which starts with H.
Huckleberry maybe?

It never occurred to me that the underside of it formed an "H" also!

Good job reading it! You all did a great job piecing it together!
This one was said to be a paperweight, which I can’t think it was meant to be originally, could it? It seems a bit complicated to have been that.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/53593209

Attachments

• 751769DD-40D9-4B6D-B68F-4DCCBF71A210.jpeg
    751769DD-40D9-4B6D-B68F-4DCCBF71A210.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 245
Back
Top Bottom