Hurricane John Delivers the Treasure!

Nice hunting George! Looks like you found a sweet spot! I hit my usual haunt and had moderate success..Looks like the action was further south :yes:

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks DT!

What a great adventure!! Wow!!
Thanks OBN, It WAS an adventure and I really look forward to these opportunities when they come up. :yes:

Holy !!!! George....you killed it again !! For those of you not from So. Cal., George is one of the best beach hunters here on the left coast. The pictures speak for themselves.
Thanks Jeff, One of the craziest beach hunters is what you should have said. :lol: I spent more time at the beach this weekend than I did at home. :roll: Good thing the wife was working each day! :yes:

MASTER!!! Was all this with the Excalibur 2 with pinpoint mod?
Congrats, i also pursued the mission but got nada on the GOLD and only plata, today it was beautifull afternoon hunt in la Jolla like 80 degree water and like hunting in atropical paradise with thousands of looters as far as the eye could see , hit it for 1 hr and got some lead sinkers and a tackle box full of fishing lures and goodies.
See ya soon and good luck on your next adventure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thanks and nice to hear from you Pro! Maybe 80% of the time I used the Dual Field, 19.9% with the Excal 2 and .1% with the Nox 800. I LOVE the Excal pinpoint mod but the DF works better in the black sand than the Excal or the Nox. I still haven't figured out the best way to set up the Nox for the wet beach sand and I didn't want to use precious time experimenting when that window of opportunity was open. "Thousands of looters"? Glad I didn't drive down to your area. I spent nearly 40 hours at the beach this weekend and only saw one other hunter! :?:

Wow great hunt George. I went out in the Los Angeles area Friday night into Saturday morning and hit 3 beaches, all being sanded in with light targets. I was clearly in the wrong area! Great finds
Thanks Nick, Because of the severe angle (165 degrees) of the wave direction from the southeast. Only certain beaches were going to benefit from this particular swell. I looked at the surf forecast for the LA beaches and it didn't look too promising.
There is only one thing I don't like about this post: That your southern-hemi results didn't reach up to my part of CA . Or ... that I wasn't studying our southern facing beaches to see the impact.

But that's ok: Just package up and send me all your gold and coins, and .... all will be forgiven ! :laughing:
Okay Tom, They are on their way since this IS the FRIENDLY Metal Detecting Forum. Funny but I looked at the Santa Barbara surf forecast since that is about as south facing as can be and there was not much swell predicted. Does the energy die out because of the distance? Is island "shadowing" knocking the swells down? :?:

What a great series of hunts! I'm sure you had to be loaded with coins as well. Well worth the soreness you'll feel in the morning. My advice; stretch before going to sleep and stretch again when you awake.

R5
Thanks R5! I'm guessing close to a thousand coins for the 3 days. Maybe I'll do a count of just the quarters tonight. I think I had a couple of silver coins but mostly clad-era coins. :yes:

George your on a treasure trail bro., go back all next week, congrats gold slayer.
Thanks Earl, If I was retired I would go back today but I do think that the sand is moving back in and the tides are not as favorable. :yes:

What an awesome haul, congrats! :)
Thank you sandgroper!

Sweet finds
Thanks pick!

you killed it compass bigtime congrats great finds :D
Thanks brncofan, Best hunts since before my surgery a year ago. So thankful that I can still enjoy this hobby! :yes:

You KILLED it man, awesome two days! Hunts like that will stick in peoples minds for a long time!
Thanks Z, I certainly will remember this weekend! :grin:

:dingding: Epic hunts and effort! :wow:
Thanks Felix, Any advice on how to clean the class ring?

mega congrats!!!!! thats ahunters dream sore or not id check it out again.i only dream of a hunt like that.congrats again and again.

Thanks Felix, Any advice on how to clean the class ring?
Sorry, but I don't find anything that old to need to clean up! :lol: I just usually rub stuff with Bar Keeper's Friend and my fingers.

WOW!!! You really took in a nice haul. I love it. Congrats on all the loot. Any history on the class ring?
Thanks Salt, Until I clean it up all I can tell is that it is Class of 1985 and no signs of wear. Must have been lost shortly after she got it. :yes:

Wonderful! Absolutely Outstanding work! Old gold!...
Thanks Mud, The class ring has probably been there most of the last 33 years. Hard to say about the broken 10K ring. Only 1 silver coin so far of the hundreds I found this weekend. This cut didn't really get down to the old old stuff.

WOW, WOW, WOW!
That would be a dream hunt for me. Loved the story about how you found the thin gold chain, too! Congrats!
Thanks David, Oh, it certainly was for me. These types of hunts don't happen all that often. I always have thought that I would find a gold chain in the black sand one day. It's amazing how many targets hide in that stuff. I have found many coins and small jewelry on top of the heavy black sand. :yes:

Wow, what a fantastic series of outings there man! Nice work!
Thanks GS, Yes, it WAS work but a labor of love! :yes::yes:

5 rings - one being a return - the couple was just married the day before, gave me $20 for finfing it. 85 degrees for 6 hours. One ring had no marks but real diamonds, another was a Cartier gold. Also a gold bracelet. All with my CTX after spending months with the EQ800 and not finding anything good.
I wonder what it was that made it such a good day. The tide was out when I started but came up quick and big waves. It might be the high repetition rate. They just kept coming. One knocked me right over.
Not enough space here to share all my theories about what makes the beach produce treasure but the combination of extreme tides, big surf and optimum swell angles get my heart rate up! :yes:

A most excellent hunt!
Thanks metal, A most excellent adventure! ;)

Nice hunting George! Looks like you found a sweet spot! I hit my usual haunt and had moderate success..Looks like the action was further south :yes:
Thanks Slim, The targets weren't nearly as concentrated as I've seen it but were spread out over large areas. Walked a lot of miles this weekend. :yes:
Nice haul on the treasure, congrats!

wow what a marathon but definitely worth it! a great jewelery haul with all the coins as a cherry on top
Thanks Joe, I counted 217 quarters for the weekend- definitely helps with gas! :yes::yes:

Awesome hunting! Can't wait to hear what coins showed up too :yes:
Thanks cellrdwellr, 217 quarters probably means about 800 coins? Not sure I want to count them all.

mega congrats!!!!! thats ahunters dream sore or not id check it out again.i only dream of a hunt like that.congrats again and again.
Thanks jmac! I love hunting my beaches. When we retire, my wife and I both want to live closer to them. :yes:

Epic hunt in my book, George.....Excellent adventure!!
Than you Joe, I somehow made it through work today without falling asleep! :lol:

Awesome man I love it when things go the right way! :cool:
Thanks Irons, You are spot on. Things don't always pan out but this time things did and to happen on a weekend made it even better! :yes:

Love the "blow by blow" story and OF COURSE awesome gold and silver finds!! Wonder what the coin count was in the end....:roll:
Thanks Buellride, The coin count was....a lot. :lol::lol:

Way to go! Ever find out what K the chain was? You did a marathon for sure and it paid off.

Thanks Salt, Until I clean it up all I can tell is that it is Class of 1985 and no signs of wear. Must have been lost shortly after she got it. :yes:

Thanks Mud, The class ring has probably been there most of the last 33 years. Hard to say about the broken 10K ring. Only 1 silver coin so far of the hundreds I found this weekend. This cut didn't really get down to the old old stuff.

Thanks David, Oh, it certainly was for me. These types of hunts don't happen all that often. I always have thought that I would find a gold chain in the black sand one day. It's amazing how many targets hide in that stuff. I have found many coins and small jewelry on top of the heavy black sand. :yes:

Thanks GS, Yes, it WAS work but a labor of love! :yes::yes:

Not enough space here to share all my theories about what makes the beach produce treasure but the combination of extreme tides, big surf and optimum swell angles get my heart rate up! :yes:

Thanks metal, A most excellent adventure! ;)

Did you go to San Dimas High?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom