• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The next CTX 3030?

NJdiverTony

So, I know everyone is excited about the Equinox 800/600 (I just got a 600 as my first detector recently and having a great time with it!)... but are there any industry rumors on what Minelab is working on that will replace the CTX 3030? From what I've been able to find out, the 3030 has been out for about 5 years now... so I imagine that a new updated machine must be in the works.

OR, are there any rumors of competitors that are going to be putting out a machine to best the CTX 3030?

Just curious, that's all... and figured it would make for a good discussion :D

IMHO,there are too many people looking for the easy way to make finds. It’s not easy. Spending a lot of time with the machine you have,finding productive sites,and using a proper sweep technique will find a person many things. I feel I have the best machine for my taste,preference and what I hunt,so I spend a lot of time with it. There is an infinite number of variables in the field to contend with,nobody recovers everything for various reasons. Guys using old tech make great finds. Girls using new cheapo machines make great finds. It’s WAY more about where you are,and what you are looking for(where you have the disc set if you use it).
Im not sure what they would do for a new flagship. I’m only 2 years into the CTX and it’s been nothing short of amazing in every way. I’m the guy who likes to know my stuff inside out,backward and forward,and I spend much time with it. Expensive? Yes. But the ACCURACY is what I need,and whatever new flagship they come up with should absolutely incorporate the FECO readout and Smart Screen like the CTX does. I would actually buy an EQ if it had a FECO readout,Smart Screen and a clock. But it’s not a CTX,eTrac or Explorer,and it was never meant to be any of those. I just don’t hunt the way it’s set up.
Good luck with your 600,it should do you well till the updated 3030 arrives...:grin:

IMHO,there are too many people looking for the easy way to make finds. It’s not easy. Spending a lot of time with the machine you have,finding productive sites,and using a proper sweep technique will find a person many things. I feel I have the best machine for my taste,preference and what I hunt,so I spend a lot of time with it. There is an infinite number of variables in the field to contend with,nobody recovers everything for various reasons. Guys using old tech make great finds. Girls using new cheapo machines make great finds. It’s WAY more about where you are,and what you are looking for(where you have the disc set if you use it).
Im not sure what they would do for a new flagship. I’m only 2 years into the CTX and it’s been nothing short of amazing in every way. I’m the guy who likes to know my stuff inside out,backward and forward,and I spend much time with it. Expensive? Yes. But the ACCURACY is what I need,and whatever new flagship they come up with should absolutely incorporate the FECO readout and Smart Screen like the CTX does. I would actually buy an EQ if it had a FECO readout,Smart Screen and a clock. But it’s not a CTX,eTrac or Explorer,and it was never meant to be any of those. I just don’t hunt the way it’s set up.
Good luck with your 600,it should do you well till the updated 3030 arrives...:grin:

Thanks for the great reply and information! Since I'm new to the hobby, I just wasn't sure what the usual cycle/frequency for the introduction of new technology is for metal detectors. For example, in the IT field (which I work in) or especially with mobile phones, there are new advances and updates made all the time... so every year there's a new model with new features. I was just wondering if there are new technologies or new updates on the horizon for the high end MD's. I'm a tech-nerd... and was just curious. :D

surely there will be something to replace the CTX eventually, but it won't be another FBS. Minelab has stated that the CTX pushed the limits of FBS and there wont be another. I predict that there will be updates and revisions to the Multi-IQ technology.

It would be nice if they made an EQX with a CTX display and GPS as well.

My thoughts

A plain box with a on off switch and headphones. Two compartments. One for the batteries and one for the electronics. Bluetooth controller to program it. Turn it on, program. Put the controller in the car and go.

Or have the controller waterproof and a strap around your neck to change settings.

Make the box hip mount and we are all set.

My thoughts

A plain box with a on off switch and headphones. Two compartments. One for the batteries and one for the electronics. Bluetooth controller to program it. Turn it on, program. Put the controller in the car and go.

Or have the controller waterproof and a strap around your neck to change settings.

All nice and small; ergonomic, light weight yet rugged durable, wireless, simple to use, and waterproof down to 30 meters. Quick change coil options too.

Last edited:
..are there any industry rumors on what Minelab is working on that will replace the CTX 3030? :D
5 years is nothing, consider this:
The Explorers were sold for nearly 15 years.
The Sovs for nearly 15 years.
The Excal is still available and almost unchanged for 25 years.

surely there will be something to replace the CTX eventually, ...I predict that there will be updates and revisions to the Multi-IQ technology.It would be nice if they made an EQX with a CTX display and GPS as well.
My money is a CTX software upgrade in '2019
I'll dbl-down in 4 years we'll see another EQX model, likely with dual VDI #'s and, like you said, GPS.

5 years is nothing, consider this:
The Explorers were sold for nearly 15 years.
The Sovs for nearly 15 years.
The Excal is still available and almost unchanged for 25 years.

My money is a CTX software upgrade in '2019
I'll dbl-down in 4 years we'll see another EQX model, likely with dual VDI #'s and, like you said, GPS.

this sounds the most reasonable.

for a comparison cell phone companies dump bazillions into R&D to produce a product every year because everyone on the planet buys a cell phone....sometimes every year.

even though lots on this forum own a detector (let alone a minelab) hardly anyone in the grand scheme of things owns a metal detector. The R&D must produce a product that can be useful for a long time and stand the test of time as Davids notes above. Extra money can then be made from accessories like coils.

My thoughts

Cue the parachute team

Back
Top Bottom