Building a sand scoop

bergie

Forum Supporter
My sister lives in Florida and wanted one of my metal detectors for the beach. So now I am in the process of building her a sand scoop. Weather kind of lousy today so I decided to work on it some. Went on the Internet and got some ideas as I have never seen one in person. They had some that were 11 inches long 8 inches wide and 4 inches deep some were smaller. I made this one actually 12 inches long 7 inches wide 4 inches deep might shorten it up some though. I have to brace the handle yet and going to weld a handhold straight out from where the handle goes be like a scoop.I guessed at the angle of the handle couldn't find anything about what degree it would set on. May have to build one smaller like maybe 5 inches wide 10 inches long depends on what works well for her. These things are quite time-consuming to build specially when I could not get the Tig Rigg working like I wanted but it's been five years since I have used one:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 659
Looks damn good, so far. Just put a brace on the handle, and maybe a kick plate on the back, and it looks like you got a great scoop....

Hope you saved a lot of $$$'s :D

Looks damn good, so far. Just put a brace on the handle, and maybe a kick plate on the back, and it looks like you got a great scoop....

Hope you saved a lot of $$$'s :D

I have eight dollars in it right now you think it's too much plus a little electricity.:lol:

$8, holy cow ! Did you make it out of 24k. You should be able to half that.....:laughing:

I'll take 3, but you got to pay shipping :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey man, that looks great ! "Honest Injun"

A friend of mine has a fabrication shop I have access to a lot of metal. But being as he did bend it and roll the metal and cut the holes in it for me I figured eight bucks was enough for his time.:lol:He has a computer operated plasma so the holes were all done automatically.

A friend of mine has a fabrication shop I have access to a lot of metal. But being as he did bend it and roll the metal and cut the holes in it for me I figured eight bucks was enough for his time.:lol:He has a computer operated plasma so the holes were all done automatically.

Thought they looked mighty uniform !

Carry on.....Looking good !

I'll take one! :lol:

Nice work!

He was thinking about making a few and selling them on eBay. But we got to looking at the prices they were selling on eBay are actually cheaper than he can make one. Some of them are quite high on their I would imagine they don't sale many either. I come home and started investigating on how they were selling them cheap and found out they were using this machine. It is incredibly fast punching holes so that would make process time faster.

That's some nice work man. I'd suggest bracing where the shaft goes in and bigger and more holes but as a first effort that's awesome!

That's some nice work man. I'd suggest bracing where the shaft goes in and bigger and more holes but as a first effort that's awesome!

Actually I am going to brace where the handle goes just haven't got around to it yet. The fellow that runs the computer plasma laid out the holes from a sand scoop we looked up on eBay. All of the ones we looked at had 3/8 holes in them so that is what size he made them. I thought maybe they should have been bigger but I have never seen a sand scoop.:lol:

He was thinking about making a few and selling them on eBay. But we got to looking at the prices they were selling on eBay are actually cheaper than he can make one. Some of them are quite high on their I would imagine they don't sale many either. I come home and started investigating on how they were selling them cheap and found out they were using this machine. It is incredibly fast punching holes so that would make process time faster.

What happened to $8.00 and a little electricity? I figured it had to cost way more than that. Still, you should post the exact description/dimensions, along with a price that you can live with, and see what happens and how much interest you generate.

Good Luck :D

What happened to $8.00 and a little electricity? I figured it had to cost way more than that. Still, you should post the exact description/dimensions, along with a price that you can live with, and see what happens and how much interest you generate.

Good Luck :D

:lol::lol:What happened to the eight bucks was when you got to figure the man running the computer plasma and one guy welding them together. Being is I have connections and only pay for the price of the metal and weld it myself it's cheap. Now considering he charges $65 an hour shop rate in you have probably an hour(Plus 15 minute coffee break) at least in building one. Got to figure man cutting out his time man welding his time things soon get expensive. Then you got to figure shipping cost in it which varies depending on where you send it all the sudden you gotten expensive beach scoop.:lol:As for the dimensions this one is 12 inches long 7 inches wide 4 inches deep but you could make them any size.

:lol::lol:What happened to the eight bucks was when you got to figure the man running the computer plasma and one guy welding them together. Being is I have connections and only pay for the price of the metal and weld it myself it's cheap. Now considering he charges $65 an hour shop rate in you have probably an hour(Plus 15 minute coffee break) at least in building one. Got to figure man cutting out his time man welding his time things soon get expensive. Then you got to figure shipping cost in it which varies depending on where you send it all the sudden you gotten expensive beach scoop.:lol:As for the dimensions this one is 12 inches long 7 inches wide 4 inches deep but you could make them any size.

Yep, that sounds much more realistic ! Still looking good, though. At least you should come out with an inexpensive scoop for yourself and/or family member. ;)

Actually I am going to brace where the handle goes just haven't got around to it yet. The fellow that runs the computer plasma laid out the holes from a sand scoop we looked up on eBay. All of the ones we looked at had 3/8 holes in them so that is what size he made them. I thought maybe they should have been bigger but I have never seen a sand scoop.:lol:

3/8" area great size. The 1/2" often lets small targets slip through.

When I had access to a hydraulic punch machine, I did a few myself. It was fun, but not cost effective to do for a living.

As previously mentioned, the back of the scoop needs a kick plate or should be angled. You'll see "why" if you take the scoop outside and try to shovel sand (or snow).

At the leading edge of the scoop, a pointed front will work great in rocks while a subtle curve is easier in the sand....and less prone to lacerating your leg when working in rough surf.

Overall, you really did a fantastic job though!!!

3/8" area great size. The 1/2" often lets small targets slip through.

When I had access to a hydraulic punch machine, I did a few myself. It was fun, but not cost effective to do for a living.

As previously mentioned, the back of the scoop needs a kick plate or should be angled. You'll see "why" if you take the scoop outside and try to shovel sand (or snow).

At the leading edge of the scoop, a pointed front will work great in rocks while a subtle curve is easier in the sand....and less prone to lacerating your leg when working in rough surf.

Overall, you really did a fantastic job though!!!

Thanks for the info I will put a kick plate on it. Was wondering if it needed to have more of a point. No way to test it because the closest sand to me is 200 miles away.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom