Homemade Lesche

mikeybonez28

As some of you saw from my last post in this section I'm making a Lesche-esque digger, well 2 of them actually so I figured I'd post it up properly here.

Both are made from 18ga cold rolled low carbon steel, nothing special just your regular Home Depot or Lowes hardware aisle sheet steel and the handle is EMT conduit, I think it's galvanized but it's a prototype, not a final product. I want to use 1" DOM tubing for the handle but I didn't have any on hand.

Since I'm going to be posting 2 diggers here I'll give details on both. The first one is 4" by 9" or 10", I can't remember & it's at work right now, I'll correct it tomorrow. The tip is nothing special, just put a rough edge on it but the serrations are a little more in depth. They're easy to do if you have a few simple tools though. I spaced them 1/2" apart at a 45 degree angle & cut with a chainsaw file. For the bend I just chucked it between 2 pieces of 1" steel & gave it a few whacks with a dead blow mallet. The hilt is just welded on with a gusset (I think that's what it's called) for added strength so it's less likely to bend given the fact that it's low carbon & can't benefit from heat treatment.

For the second one I rounded the tip so it doesn't look like Rambo's garden knife, it's still reasonably sharp for the task at hand. Dimensions are 3" by 9" with the serrations only 1/4" apart so they're touching instead of spaced out like in #1. With #2 I put it in a vice and formed it around a handy dandy tie rod tool I had. The hilt is also welded on & both will have the same EMT handle with hopefully a bicycle grip for a little comfort

Let me know what you guys think & if anyone has some recommendations or criticism, feel free, these are rough products afterall

Pics for #2 should be up tomorrow since both diggers are at work & today is my day off

First prototype

9d5da0a0f02370f818f28634df0a14f1.jpg

6d6133672be4896da98fa06e06c01130.jpg

143cd43b4870185eae8f3134c9cb6a43.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

6ddd341434429fd4e89236e18d1b61ec.jpg

be555bdbede158ca26c8b631905c0892.jpg

1441e3968eceb1fb16e7fe395b4c699d.jpg

Proto #2. Changed up the design, made the serrations closer together and hopefully the bend will be sufficient enough to avoid flexing

Isn't 18 gauge pretty thin for a digger?
Its the only steel i have on hand currently. It was labeled as 18ga but its closer to 16ga. Either way it is "light" but a slimmer blade with an edge is easier to push through the soil. Get 2 knives sharpened to a razors edge but 1 thick blade & 1 thin, which cuts easier? A thicker blade is stronger but I've seen a number of shovels that aren't much thicker than 18ga & they hold up well. Granted they're also hardened & tempered but they have to stand up to body weight plus soil weight & resistance. A handheld digger isn't going to see as much pressure

As they say, the proof is in the pudding and I'll be making some on Thursday assuming the weather is decent

Well I didnt make it out Thursday, had to tear out the remote start from my wife's car since it shorted & was causing chaos but God willing I'll be out this coming week and can abuse the hell out of it just to see if it flexes or breaks, I hope it does neither but we'll see

It looks like it will work but only testing will tell if it's going to break it will be at the base of the blade

Thats my only concern with this one, well that & NYPD thinking its a Bowie. I left the stiffener off to see how it does without it but if it does bend there I'll weld it in

Nice build. just add a bike handle grip and you are good to go.

Once i go back to walmart i will, no sense in putting an expensive grip on a prototype that might not make it. Right now its in the 30's here and I have no plans on using this without a grip

18g seems awful flimsy. The build quality looks nice but I'm thinking medium duty at best.

Youre not the 1st to say that but i dont own a lesche or garret & probably never will so i dont have a benchmark/reference. I also dont have any plate on hand to work with. If i had plate, Id also need a way to form it, a propane torch & a hammer wont cut it on the thicker stuff.

Hey man, I think they look great and will work for 98%+ locations. There have been several times that I have bent my shovel handle (1/2" steel bar) digging roots or hard soil.

They will work fine....the bends/curves add extra strength and the gusset of the shovel will help.

I suspect the conduit will be the weak link but if you filled it solid with epoxy it would potentially significantly increase the rigidity without much added weight.

Now that you mention filling the handle, i could dead blow it with lead shot for extra oomph lol. Seriously though, the epoxy isnt a bad idea. I have some tubular control arms from a car i did today, should be a hell of a handle & theyre still fairly light but i still need to get out & prove it in the field but unfortunately that'll have to wait until next week

Back
Top Bottom