(UPDATED PIC)Ok guys what do you think? attempt at making a sand scoop

InShepherdsArms

Elite Member
I found some 4 inch pipe laying around at work so I made a scoop just to see if I could do it. I thought it turned out pretty well. Now I'm thinking I may go and buy some 6 inch pipe and make me a few until I get the cash flow for my new Stavr scoop. I also may see how this 4 inch scoop does. I made a long lip to make up for the width. It may not work well who knows but it's worth a shot. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 755
It might be OK in dry sand, but I think the pipe wall it is too thick to push thru wet.

It is definitely worth a try.

If not good, maybe 6 inch will have a better result.

Just an opinion.

I'll be curious to hear the results, if it works good I'll be making one. :D

It might be OK in dry sand, but I think the pipe wall it is too thick to push thru wet.

It is definitely worth a try.

If not good, maybe 6 inch will have a better result.

Just an opinion.

yeah the thickness is what I am worried about. But I think Im gonna put a piece of thin metal at the lip of the scoop to penetrate the sand better.

Well here she is. I'm not too sure about the handle but I can fix it if it doesn't work out. The stainless steel sheet at the end of the scoop should help in the wet sand. It's really thin. Gonna try her out tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 644
I got some super tough extra strength water proof super glue.

I don't want you to get your hopes up on that metal piece, but at least you will be able to find it... I hope I'm wrong..

With any luck maybe after a couple finds, it will scoop something that will pay for a new stainless scoop!!

<*)))>{

I don't want you to get your hopes up on that metal piece, but at least you will be able to find it... I hope I'm wrong..

With any luck maybe after a couple finds, it will scoop something that will pay for a new stainless scoop!!

<*)))>{

Yeah my detector found it haha. The metal piece fell off on the 4th hole but the rest of my scoop held up pretty well. I think this will hold me out a few weeks until I can upgrade ;)

<*)))>{

was thinking the same thing, yet, he could reinforce that metal with sunken nut and flushed bolts, that pipe is thick enough. I'm loving this scoop looks lighter than the steel ones and sturdy.

was thinking the same thing, yet, he could reinforce that metal with sunken nut and flushed bolts, that pipe is thick enough. I'm loving this scoop looks lighter than the steel ones and sturdy.

They have these things we call "T" nuts... They are almost like threaded rivets, they would hold it on pretty good as well...

Sure looks like it could scoop a ring to me!!

<*)))>{

You might want to consider cutting an angle on the lip and letting it wear out over a season or so depending on how often you hunt. Thinking of it as a consumable and easy, cheap fabrication. You can evolve design with each new generation. Just a thought.

Well, that looks like it's going in the right direction. You need more holes and closer together. I did it with a plastic grain scoop with a thinner wall and it lasted over a year... actually it was the handle that broke, not the holes. I would also sand/file the under side of the lip to help push it through the wet sand. Finally, where did you get the support for the handle? I've never seen one. I think if you have a weak point, that might be it. Keep refining and post a "how to" in the scoops thread at the top of the beach forum.

R5

You could just shave the plastic on the edge with a knife, i think your gonna have a problem with the metal part. Just my opinion:p

Back
Top Bottom