Homemade Rock Tumbler

tony48

Elite Member
I've seen the rock tumblers on the internet for sale for over $100 and decided that instead of buying one, I could make one. I always do like a good challenge. :D Tell me what you guys think. I will use it to clean clad. Since noise isn't a problem, the barrel can be made of PVC.

RockTumbler.jpg

Looks like a good project! I bought one of the double barrel ones from Harbor Freight for 30 bucks. They aren't as unreliable as others have said if you pick up a belt replacement on Ebay for a couple bucks. It does a pretty good job since I don't have the patience to build one. :)

That's a great idea. Grit will probably work it's way into the threads of the end cap and make it difficult to un-screw. I'm trying to think of what you can do to prevent it from siezing. Probably about all you can do is it put a heavy coating of vasaline on the threads.

I don't think I would use a drill for that.:no: I know it's a little big but what about a ceiling fan motor they have 3 speeds and are designed for long term use. :!: You could probably find thrown out ceiling fans with good motors. :yes:

I like it! PVC is a great idea, but it would have to spin fast enough to keep the coins tumbling instead of sliding.

Usually tumblers have to run at least 2 hours to do any good. So I don't know how the drill would work out for ya.

Our small tumbler was 65 bucks, and it has a dinky little motor with a real then belt.

I always do like a good challenge.

That's the way Vlad is.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">I always do like a good challenge. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That's the way Vlad is.

And that's a good thing for you too Carol! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe a variable speed drill would work fine. Most corded drills are high amperage capability, so the odds of burning it out at a slow speed are slim.

I don't know about using a motor that uses brushes, an induction motor would be better. Also, coins tend to slide instead of tumble in a smooth PVC tub.

I know they are not the best but I have been using a Harbor Freight tumbler for two years. It was $23.00 on sale and came with 2 belts. I've gone through a little over a $1000.00 in clad in two years and I am still on the first belt. I've got my moneys worth and it is quiet.

Hey but if it works go for it. ;) Happy hunting. Rob

Even if the drill burns out it is no problem. It is an older one and I already have about 2 backups:D Someone said that they didn't think that it would work very good because the clad has to tumble for 2 hours. Why can't the drill run for 2 hours? It is the kind with a cord. Also, the fan motor is a good idea. I'm sure the local dump will have an old fan one of the next couple of times I go up there.

A fan motor would work the speed is important. Too fast and the coins hang on the walls of the tub and too slow and they slide at the bottom of the tub. That's why most tumblers you buy use a belt and pulley to get the speed correct. Did you ever look in the tub of a dryer. Notice the ridges, they are there so the clothes will tumble. Most tubs are rubber. One so they are quieter and two so there is some friction between the coins and the walls of the tub. My first tumbler had a smooth plastic tub but it had 3 ridges molded in the tub for just this reason.

The coins need to tumble. A guy built a tumbler similar to yours and it should be in the old posts. Do a search. The coins sliding in the tub was his problem. Rob

Cool Gizmo, I use a brass polisher with ground corn cobs as the media that was intended for polsihing and cleaning ammo cases. It does a good job.

I will Have to think of a good way to add ridges to the isnside of the PVC. Anyone have any suggestions?

gorilla glue and PVC rods sounds like a great simple idea. I have some gorilla glue and man is it strong. I know why they can sell a teeny bottle of it for $5 now!

Hi Boyz and Girlz
It seen that I made something like that last year but did't completed it (can't find the post either :(

This tumbles my clad. Used a small storage tote for the frame, Gatorade bottle as the tumbler. It rides on a tent stake along the groove in the bottle. Used wraps of electrical tape on either side of the tent stake to keep the tumbler centered. Drilled a hole in the cap and tighted with bolts inside and out. Zip tie on the drill trigger to maintain constant rotation. Holds water fine and it's all contained by the tote. Everything is clear plastic to see what's going on. Works great and went together in like an hour with materials on hand.

Best regards and HH,

Jeff

Attachments

• Tumbler.JPG
    Tumbler.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 48,735
Here's my barrels, the original and a home made, i find i use the homemade more often, i used to use river gravel but now i use ballbearing, works much better and faster especially when used with barreling soap B.
Barrels without the fins in are for stone polishing as the stones need to slide
Metal barrels all have fins inside usually 3 to tumble.
in the homemade one i used some offcuts from plastic corner protectors and epoxy to stick them in.
The machine is a bit yukky as the bought barrel sometimes leaks,and also you need to oil the spindles, i got it of fleabay for 20€

the rubber bands are made from old car tire innertube to help grip and lift the barrel clear of the rollers

Attachments

• barrel 002.jpg
    barrel 002.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 50,473
  • barrel 001.jpg
    barrel 001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 35,806
  • barrel 003.jpg
    barrel 003.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 36,956
  • barrel 004.jpg
    barrel 004.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 45,860
After reading this I decided to try it. What I did was take a long screw (fairly large in diameter) get some nuts and washers, and slide on a gatorade bottle cap that I had previously drilled a hole in. The whole was slightly smaller than the screw so it wouldn't leak. I made sure everything would work out right so that when the screw was used as a drill bit it would only be able to tighten itself (it would turn clockwise). Pop some coins in the gatorade bottle. Fill it with some soap and beads. Screw on the cap. And since I had a rubber band on the handle of the screwdriver, all I had to do was move it up onto the trigger to initiate a medium speed tumble:) Tada! Sorry that I don't have pics.

Back
Top Bottom