Revenge of the Doane Boys

Loved the story and you found some great stuff...1864 IH: A Civil War coin! :)

When you go back, please take a buddy with you. I was getting nervous when reading your story about getting lost, climbing steep rocks, and a dead phone battery. You appear to be very self-reliant (a great trait to have, btw). Just, it's nice to have someone watching your back, IMHO. Besides, you need someone to help you carry out all that gold. :D

When you go back, please take a buddy with you. I was getting nervous when reading your story about getting lost, climbing steep rocks, and a dead phone battery. You appear to be very self-reliant (a great trait to have, btw). Just, it's nice to have someone watching your back, IMHO. Besides, you need someone to help you carry out all that gold. :D

I understand your concern -- and appreciate it -- but part of why I love detecting is the solitude. It gives me a chance to mellow out and think things over.

I also understand that because of this, I need to be doubly careful. :grin:

A fine publication indeed , i'm not a native of Pa but in some ways this is the perfect place for me. I'm from Scotland so perhaps you'll know what i'm talking about. From my own travels and research much of this area was orignally settled back in the day by Scots , Irish & German. I find those influences everywhere i go.Illg's being a prime example as well as the abundance of drystone dykes i see.A dyke is a wall by the way , i understand it has another meaning in the US. A little known fact is it was the Scots/Irish that taught the native Indians how to work with stone.
I have quite a bit of research done as well as old maps which ive put on to CD , figure out somewhere to mail it to without giving away personal info..ya know , and you are welcome to have copies.We D towners gotta stick together : )

If i mailed the cd's (providing you want them) to the paper and marked it FAO .. maybe that would work if the bosses there would let you do it that way.

Last edited:
A fine publication indeed

Thank you! I write a blog for their website that's similar to my own buckscountyhistory.org blog. It's called Back Then in Bucks.

I have quite a bit of research done as well as old maps which ive put on to CD, figure out somewhere to mail it to without giving away personal info..ya know , and you are welcome to have copies.We D towners gotta stick together : )

If i mailed the cd's (providing you want them) to the paper and marked it FAO .. maybe that would work if the bosses there would let you do it that way.

Sure, that would be fine. Thank you! I'd love to see what you've gathered up.

Just address it to Librarian, c/o The Intelligencer, 333 North Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901.

Great , i'll get those cd's copied , you'll find quite a bit including very old books back to the 1600's and survey maps etc .. a pleasure to share them.Ill have them in the mail by the weekend , ill also check out the blogs mentioned , thanks for the links : )

Cursing, I shook my fist at the Battery Gods. I thought for a moment about moss growing on a certain side of the trees, and about the sun setting in the west, and stuff like that. Then I decided that I was an idiot.

Gosh, I have been there done that. You know where you in a pinch, and you are trying to recall old McGyver shows hoping to find a solution. I could get out of this jam, if only I have some twine, a stick of gum and a paper clip.

Brian

Question about that State Park. It's OK to use a MD in there? Any restrictions?

No offence, but you can't be serious..
Native Americans were building stone work dwellings centuries before the Irish or Scots even set foot in this country..
Not sure what research you're basing this on, but it doesn't contain even a fragment of fact..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_Canyon
Sonny

A fine publication indeed , i'm not a native of Pa but in some ways this is the perfect place for me. I'm from Scotland so perhaps you'll know what i'm talking about. From my own travels and research much of this area was orignally settled back in the day by Scots , Irish & German. I find those influences everywhere i go.Illg's being a prime example as well as the abundance of drystone dykes i see.A dyke is a wall by the way , i understand it has another meaning in the US. A little known fact is it was the Scots/Irish that taught the native Indians how to work with stone.
I have quite a bit of research done as well as old maps which ive put on to CD , figure out somewhere to mail it to without giving away personal info..ya know , and you are welcome to have copies.We D towners gotta stick together : )

Mostly it's an oversimplification of activities on a 3000 mile wide continent over the span of at least 15,000 years. A lot of people fall into the trap, oh well...
I guess it's possible that some tribes/nation learned how to construct better stone and earthworks from Europeans somewhere on the east coast.

No offence, but you can't be serious..
Native Americans were building stone work dwellings centuries before the Irish or Scots even set foot in this country..
Not sure what research you're basing this on, but it doesn't contain even a fragment of fact..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_Canyon
Sonny

I stand by my statement.. He said it was a little known FACT!!
There is NO evidence anywhere in the US that shows anyone visited this country when Native Americans were using stone works.. None.....
Sonny

Mostly it's an oversimplification of activities on a 3000 mile wide continent over the span of at least 15,000 years. A lot of people fall into the trap, oh well...
I guess it's possible that some tribes/nation learned how to construct better stone and earthworks from Europeans somewhere on the east coast.

There is NO evidence anywhere in the US that shows anyone visited this country when Native Americans were using stone works.. None.....
Sonny

Although as archaeologists say, "absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence"

:)

Back
Top Bottom