• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

3D printer Guys

yooper69

Elite Member
I am asking anyone with 3D printer is it possible for you to make a solid coil cover for my equinox coils ? Mainly for the stock coil. I use it in the woods and tird of snagging on stuff. If so what would the cost be? Would it even hold up? Thanks !

Possible? -- for me, maybe. 11x9 is going to be super close to too big to fit on my printer's bed, but there are certainly bigger printers out there.

Cost -- probably not more than a few bucks in filament. What type filament? Good question. Probably something less brittle / more impact resistant than the usual stuff. PETG would be pretty good. I think it would hold up

Engineering time/ test fitting /failed prints... lol... priceless.

On a large scale it seems like it's be best done like the stock coil cover -- injection molded probably? Another thought is ABS vacuum forming, which, if you are crafty, you might be able to do yourself...

Let me see if my bed's big enough, I like a challenge. Are you still wanting nox coil ear stiffeners? Those I *can* do.

Edit: Nope -- in my mind's eye it was oval, but no, it's basically an 11" circle. Too big for my printer. :( sorry

Y
Possible? -- for me, maybe. 11x9 is going to be super close to too big to fit on my printer's bed, but there are certainly bigger printers out there.

Cost -- probably not more than a few bucks in filament. What type filament? Good question. Probably something less brittle / more impact resistant than the usual stuff. PETG would be pretty good. I think it would hold up

Engineering time/ test fitting /failed prints... lol... priceless.

On a large scale it seems like it's be best done like the stock coil cover -- injection molded probably? Another thought is ABS vacuum forming, which, if you are crafty, you might be able to do yourself...

Let me see if my bed's big enough, I like a challenge. Are you still wanting nox coil ear stiffeners? Those I *can* do.

Edit: Nope -- in my mind's eye it was oval, but no, it's basically an 11" circle. Too big for my printer. :( sorry
Thanks for checking.

Is there a reason to not use the covers that come with them?

No. The idea is to solve the problem of sticks, twigs, etc. poking through the open areas of the coil, causing snagging as he moves and detects through wooded areas.
He said: "I use it in the woods and tired of snagging on stuff."
I have snagged my coil in the woods enough times to be familiar with this problem. A solid bottom cover would solve that, but I think it would create a debris/water trapping issue unless that issue is also addressed.

No. The idea is to solve the problem of sticks, twigs, etc. poking through the open areas of the coil, causing snagging as he moves and detects through wooded area. QUOTE]

I would think that you could cover the hole with several layers of duct tape. This should prevent snagging and could easily replaced as needed.

If you cover the bottom side it would probably solve most of the snagging problems (but not all). If you can find some thin-walled (1/16th to 1/8th inch) PVC pipe (various types for vacuum systems, drain systems and gutter/downspout systems, for instance) about a 13" length and sufficient diameter, and use a heat gun to open up and flatten out the PVC (cut the pipe down the middle first) you can fold over the corners to fit it over the sides of your coil. If you want a top-side cover then repeat the process to create another flat sheet and design the lid so that it fits over the coil top/shaft ears area but is still reasonably snug fitting. It can be glued on the front (leading edge) with PVC pipe cement while keeping the rear unattached to slip over the coil/shaft ears area. It could also be made "diamond" shaped (pointed leading edge) if that seems to present some advantage and still slip on and off. There you have it, a coil condom? At any rate, the PVC is handy that way and easy to work. If you find a big enough diameter pipe you can even make a flattened tube to slip the coil into. Yes, you can use standard gauge Sch. 40 PVC, but it takes more heat and adds weight to the front end, where you least need it. You could also explore the arcane art of plastic welding if you really get into this. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, use a plywood form with the heat gun, NOT your beloved coil!

Maybe a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot, trace the shape of the coil and cut with a skil saw or something similar, attach with psa Velcro??

I was shopping for materials on a home repair project and may have found a good solution to the coil cover you seek. A previous poster suggested cutting and unrolling pvc pipe with heat.

Rather than go that route, I think it would be easier to start with a 12"x12" vinyl floor tile. They are adhesive backed, come in a variety of thicknesses, and a quick google search says they are PVC. A little trimming, fold the corners up and over with heat and you're there. Oh, bonus, many are sold singly, most of them cost less than a dollar each !

Back
Top Bottom