How old is this knife? Has anyone come across a similar one?.........1700's? folding camp or fishing knife.

Dogfisch

Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any idea when or where it could have been made? The knife has an all brass handle with a steel blade and backing. The knife measures just under 7" when extended and 4" when closed. The blade is fairly warn down so its had a long life of use. They only knifes i could find that looked similar were folding blades from 1700's style of manufacturing using the single pin for pivoting the blade.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 378
Cool looking knife, couldn't guess the age but I imagine it couldn't of been in the ground too long. Every knife I've found with any age to it has been completely rusted out if made of steel.

It actually was not found detecting but passed down from my grandfather. The "Help me ID my finds" thread passed it off as a toy...I have come to understand the War relics thread has more knowledge in ID'ing finds, less spitballing.
The blade looks to have been used normally and for a long time so there is definitely age to this knife. I looked up knife manufacturing styles and it looks similar in construction to 18th century examples but I really need a knife guy who knows his stuff to know for sure.

Was your grandfather a Pacific War veteran? In the top ring of the anchor, it looks like it could have had a military design. I can't tell from the pictures but it could have been a Japanese sailors knife. Sailors used to make all kind of things like this.

Hi, no he wasn't. I was told this came from my grate grandfather. It came along with another pen knife from Germany. So I don't know if it is German in origin but its anyones guess there are no markings.

Back
Top Bottom