I got a copper...but what is it?

Bomberman

26294025f4c0c0b4081833373b8bf172.jpg

e63b8d75c852b4fb9bb188fcea3211da.jpg

e84b95f4da20d84c9abfb60dda55187a.jpg

1af9e9e1b7c0f3ef8a533e838a97e824.jpg

28709ec20876aa8ba37a882fa85c5267.jpg

Today I found this copper, my first. I was thinking it was a half-cent but then I’m pretty sure I see a 17 at the bottom of the first photo so that would pre-date the half. I’ve looked at it so much I’m starting to see things. So, what do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a coin. Maybe a large cent. Looks close. Most I find are toasted. Best way to clean the gunk off is putting hydrogen peroxide in the microwave till it boils. Throw coin in. You gotta keep a eye on it. It will clean the gunk off safely. Too long it will eat the copper. Keep us updated

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Definitely a coin. Maybe a large cent. Looks close. Most I find are toasted. Best way to clean the gunk off is putting hydrogen peroxide in the microwave till it boils. Throw coin in. You gotta keep a eye on it. It will clean the gunk off safely. Too long it will eat the copper. Keep us updated

I did the boiled peroxide thing but didn’t want to remove any detail so I cut it short. That may be a moot point as there isn’t much in the way of detail anyway. I may give it another go.

Probably a draped bust. If you see 17 on it. Regardless it's a old coin. Hit that spot hard.

Ok...it was driving me nuts so I took a drastic measure and tumbled the coin to remove most of the patina. What I found underneath was a wreath on the back and stars around most of the front. Further tilting under various intensities of light revealed a date of 1853 (we’re pretty sure). That would match up with a Braided Hair Large Cent. I’m 99 percent sure we have an positive ID. Here’s a photo of the cleaned coin.

cec2db394e7c5615ed2b8b6fe50f5d38.jpg

It sort of reminds me of a Nova Constellatio copper, but I don't remember the diameter and weight right off hand. It could be anything at this point.

-- Tom

Im not sure what side you have pictured after cleaning but that does not look like braided hair large cent to me? I'm thinking older American possibly a state coin. I'm seeing A nova constellatio look too... A matron or braided hair large cent should have a 27.5 mm diameter, and should weigh around 10.89 grams... Your coin is clearly too small to fit the bill...

I'm seeing A nova constellatio look too... A matron or braided hair large cent should have a 27.5 mm diameter, and should weigh around 10.89 grams... Your coin is clearly too small to fit the bill...

It sort of reminds me of a Nova Constellatio copper,

OK...I was WAY OFF. This is definitely a Nova Constellatio coin...I can see many details now that I know what I'm looking at and not guessing. Exactly which version is something we may never know because the 1783 and 1785 years both had one version that would fit the size of this coin.

In the picture below, I can clearly make out the six-pointed stars along the top right, the "eye" in the middle, and some rays toward the bottom. I think this leaves very little doubt.

You guys are awesome...the knowledge here is unmatched. Thank you so very much for providing some fantastic insight into this wonderful hobby we share.

Attachments

• Copper and Quarter.jpg
    Copper and Quarter.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 244
OK...I was WAY OFF. This is definitely a Nova Constellatio coin...I can see many details now that I know what I'm looking at and not guessing. Exactly which version is something we may never know because the 1783 and 1785 years both had one version that would fit the size of this coin.

In the picture below, I can clearly make out the six-pointed stars along the top right, the "eye" in the middle, and some rays toward the bottom. I think this leaves very little doubt.

You guys are awesome...the knowledge here is unmatched. Thank you so very much for providing some fantastic insight into this wonderful hobby we share.

Think you have to update your signature now. Nice find and gives me hope over here in south jersey

Back
Top Bottom