Snake Proof Boots

I have been prairie dog hunting in SD several times and told by the guy I went with "Look out for the rattlesnakes, better get those tall boots!" never saw a live one. Always carried a little 22 pistol with birdshot / snake loads just in case. I really don't mind snakes, its those spiders I hate.
If you see the snake with enough "warning" to get out your gun and shoot...then why shoot it?

Here's a Timber that crawled over my boot...a copperhead going between my legs (I'm squatted down like a catcher behind home plate)...and another Timber in strike position about 2 feet from my face. Not a single one tried to bite. If you don't startle them, they won't have a reason to strike.

Attachments

• P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010093.jpg
    P1010093.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Crotalus17.jpg
    Crotalus17.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 89
Got some timber rattlers and some big black snakes here in western pa..Found the black snake last year in the arborvitae tree pictured,didn’t take that arborvitae down that day.He was at Least 8 feet long.
The rattler was on the sidewalk on the same job,pretty good sized and probably full of rats or pregnant.
No need for boots here for snake prevention,probably hurt if you get bit but I doubt fatal.
Nice pics...that Timber looks like a hog of a snake.

I have been prairie dog hunting in SD several times and told by the guy I went with "Look out for the rattlesnakes, better get those tall boots!" never saw a live one. Always carried a little 22 pistol with birdshot / snake loads just in case. I really don't mind snakes, its those spiders I hate.
Oh...and spiders are awesome too. Poor, misunderstood little insect killing machines! :)

Attachments

• Spiderbabies1.jpg
    Spiderbabies1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Wolf Spider 03.jpg
    Wolf Spider 03.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Wolf Spider 2 03.jpg
    Wolf Spider 2 03.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 83
Don't have to worry about that here in da U.P. Only Garter, Copper Bellies, Green snakes, all non venomous. Not a fan of the no shouldered critters.

From a yooper transplanted into OH. You have something way worse than any snakes or spiders up there. Those mosquitos will carry you away and bleed you dry.

FliesOnly

:shock: I bet you like Russian Roulette also, :lol: Keep your health insurance up to Max, my buddy was lucky, that Timber Rattler only cost him 2 k out of the 75 k bill from the hospital, lucky to have a lame finger in the end .:realitycheck:

:shock: I bet you like Russian Roulette also, :lol: Keep your health insurance up to Max, my buddy was lucky, that Timber Rattler only cost him 2 k out of the 75 k bill from the hospital, lucky to have a lame finger in the end .:realitycheck:
Lol...insurance is up to date. :) The only snake that has ever had me nervous was that Timber looking me in the face. I remained "calm", didn't move, and kept the camera up to my eye. Got a great picture and she turned and slithered away. Had I tried to get up from that position (how I got there was a bit of an accident)...I'm sure she would have struck at me.
But do keep in mind that we were looking for snakes at the time, not metal detecting, so we weren't surprised when we found her, and therefore she wasn't startled.
I live in the middle of Michigan, so I really have no worries when it comes to snakes. We only have one venomous snake in Michigan, and they are not easy to find. Though...well...I did get a great picture of one of those too. This dude never even rattled.
Oddly, there's actually evidence that humans have selected for rattlesnakes that don't rattle. Why? Well, people have killed the ones that rattled when startled by a human.

Attachments

• P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 73
FliesOnly

You got lucky that day, my buddy got bit , his stupidity , he picked him up showing off, one handed, he didn't have a good hold on the snake, rapped around his arm, the snake used his muscles came around and bit him on the hand, he was on top of his mountain, lucky he has a fast 4 wheeler to exit, get to the hospital calling before showing up, so they had the anti V ready to IV, it took like 4 doses with his heart racing , blood pressure rising, he thought he was going to die, i guess you don't know how close you really came bro., i don't play with spider's, snake's , had a bee issue last year, large wasps ,cut the pear tree down , they haven't been back to terrorize me or the dog, now a bumble bee issue , going to the back of the yard , they go after my dog , and buzz me, killed two this week, i looked in between the door frame, they ate a holes in the wood , not a carpenter bee, a bumble bee :laughing:, saw one snake on my property here in Delaware, a long black snake, moving for the ditch , that was it, 2 poisonous snakes here Timber Rattle, Cotton mouth , haven't seen one yet , be safe, Earl Correction they are carpenter bee's , i can't get over how nice and round they drill there holes :laughing:

Last edited:
If you see the snake with enough "warning" to get out your gun and shoot...then why shoot it?.

We are in total agreement FO... Awesome pictures!

In many ways, snakes and spiders are some of our best and important defense against some of the most dangerous stuff there is..

Most tick born disease starts with and is spread by mice and rats...

<°)))>{

From a yooper transplanted into OH. You have something way worse than any snakes or spiders up there. Those mosquitos will carry you away and bleed you dry.
You betcha! The black flies and mosquitos aren't even out yet around my 40. Winter this year was cold, lots of snow and very long. Hope it killed the ticks!

We are in total agreement FO... Awesome pictures!

In many ways, snakes and spiders are some of our best and important defense against some of the most dangerous stuff there is..

Most tick born disease starts with and is spread by mice and rats...

<°)))>{
Thanks...snakes and spiders are beneficial in so many ways, yet so many people needlessly fear them. I have never had a fear of snakes, but I used to be truly arachnophobic. If I so much as saw a spider...I was gone. I eventually realized the ridiculousness of such an irrational fear, and took a class my senior year in college called: "The Biology of Spiders", in hopes that perhaps learning about spiders would help me get over my fear. Long story short, I ended up with the best grade in the course, and studied a species of jumping spider for my Masters project in Grad School. :) Education is the key. People often fear what they do not understand.

Here are a few more pictures I've taken. Copperheads are beautiful. Two of a nice adult, and then a couple shots of a "baby" (you can tell my the greenish color on the tail, they use it as a caudal lure). Amazing how cryptic they can be, yes?

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Copperhead Side.jpg
    Copperhead Side.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You got lucky that day, my buddy got bit , his stupidity , he picked him up showing off, one handed, he didn't have a good hold on the snake, rapped around his arm, the snake used his muscles came around and bit him on the hand,...:
I didn't get "lucky" so much as I know how to safely behave and work around venomous snakes. In all my years, I have NEVER attempted to pick one up with anything other than a "herp stick". The [primarily] male attitude of "hold my beer and watch this" almost always leads to being a video segment on Tosh.o, nothing more. :)

If you knew how many snakes you have walked by within 5 feet you would never again go in the woods. Snakes have the ultimate in camouflage and are extremely difficult to see. They also are not aggressive. They only strike humans when they are in fear for their life. I have wandered the woods all my life and it is extremely rare that I have ever seen a snake. I know that they are there and avoid areas where they are likely to be laying Also the vast majority of snake bites are on the hands. the second most likely place is around the ankles. A good pair of boots give one all the protection that you need.

I hate snakes. Spiders, bugs, bees don't bother me, but I have snakes. I do like having the non poisonous ones around as I know they are beneficial.
Poisonous ones on the other hand gotta go. If I can safely move them 10 miles away fine, otherwise its curtains for em.
In the woods, I respect them and they respect me.

Back
Top Bottom