More finds.

Doug

Elite Member
Due to the very good weather we are having over here in England the crops are being harvested a few weeks early.

Having said that storms are forecast for the weekend!

A few finds from local fields and the ID for the small silver coin courtesy of a UK forum member.

Thanks for looking.....Doug.

Silver coin still in the clod.
FZBSkwG.jpg

DeyeOjQ.jpg

King Edward 1st penny AD1272-1307.
qxgHQmL.jpg

Early Roman brooch.(broken)
WVpwPbR.jpg

Brooch with Roman coins.
TU8G4jH.jpg

Irish coin top right French coin bottom right.
QsxwGVN.jpg

Various finds.
gRbuc5J.jpg

Ring, no idea on date range but showing signs of gilding?
XHRlPf8.jpg

Unusual ring joint?
UXOjXNd.jpg

mROz0eD.jpg

Part of a bracelet?
OQvzuz1.jpg

Silver, been suggested part of a watch chain?
flDSkV5.jpg

Last edited:
Doug, your posts are always great reads and eye-candy. I love that coin still contained in the dirt clod. Those are the "come to papa" moments ! :D

Thank you for your kind words and views.

Barley now on its way in, baling machine now going round.

Yesterday out in the field.

Attachments

• IMGP4940.jpg
    IMGP4940.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 378
I enjoy your "non finds" posts just as much as what you dig!! :yes:

Thanks Ron

I did find 2 very worn coins, but I was so hot out in the field!

The landowners grandson who was doing the baling asked me to look for part of a ride on mower he had lost off the machine down at their other farm.

So I drove down the road to the other farm and found it within the area he had said it had dropped off the machine quite quickly.

He had inadvertently driven over the piece and pushed into the ground but the detector picked it up no problem with it being part of the cutting blade it was quite big.

I can’t imagine Trying to ID such old coins.

Trust me I have no idea how my friend does it either.

Example:

"Coin that says ‘CNUT REX ANGLO’ on the obverse. This is Latin and translates simply as ‘Cnut, King of England’. This helps to immediately identify the ruler on the coin – King Cnut, an Anglo-Saxon King who ruled from 1017 – 1035."

"The reverse spells out ‘GODRIC ON GLEP’. This can be a more complicated inscription to decipher, but once again offers a lot of information. Coins at this time required the name of the moneyer (the person who struck the coin/owned the mint) to be stamped on them. In this example that would mean ‘Godric’. The ‘ON’ means ‘of’ in old English.

‘GLEP’ is the more confusing; this refers to the mint location. In old English the ‘P’ is actually a letter called a ‘Wynn’. This looks more like a ‘Y’ with a line across the top, and has since been adopted as a P. Confusing things further, this letter actually refers to a ‘W’, making ‘GLEP’, ‘GLEW’. This refers to the Gloucester Mint. Fortunately, working out the mint is relatively easy with a quick search online, with dedicated numismatics recording the many mints that existed at this time.

So, this means the coin should actually be read as ‘GODRIC ON GLEW’ and in full, ‘Godric of Gloucester’."

Attachments

• Cnut_Penny_Inscription.jpg
    Cnut_Penny_Inscription.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 329
Trust me I have no idea how my friend does it either.

Example:

"Coin that says ‘CNUT REX ANGLO’ on the obverse. This is Latin and translates simply as ‘Cnut, King of England’. This helps to immediately identify the ruler on the coin – King Cnut, an Anglo-Saxon King who ruled from 1017 – 1035."

"The reverse spells out ‘GODRIC ON GLEP’. This can be a more complicated inscription to decipher, but once again offers a lot of information. Coins at this time required the name of the moneyer (the person who struck the coin/owned the mint) to be stamped on them. In this example that would mean ‘Godric’. The ‘ON’ means ‘of’ in old English.

‘GLEP’ is the more confusing; this refers to the mint location. In old English the ‘P’ is actually a letter called a ‘Wynn’. This looks more like a ‘Y’ with a line across the top, and has since been adopted as a P. Confusing things further, this letter actually refers to a ‘W’, making ‘GLEP’, ‘GLEW’. This refers to the Gloucester Mint. Fortunately, working out the mint is relatively easy with a quick search online, with dedicated numismatics recording the many mints that existed at this time.

So, this means the coin should actually be read as ‘GODRIC ON GLEW’ and in full, ‘Godric of Gloucester’."

Thanks Doug! Not saying I understand it all, but you sure helped!!

Wow Doug , this post is the kind that you can look at over and over and never get tired of , it's perfection in all aspects ! That picture of your detector resting on the shovel in that beautiful field is pure seduction .Thank you for sharing your great adventures , talents and knowledge .

Back
Top Bottom