Detecting Missoula Montana with pryan67!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My friend Patrick, from Illinois, was able to recently come to Missoula on business, and we got together to detect this last Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon and evening. We met a couple of years ago and had a great time detecting then, and same this time, lots of fun, some decent coins, and many yard permissions!

We started out on Thursday in a fairly old neighborhood, the curb strips have been hammered but I think we each pulled a wheatie or two out, and while we were able to get some yard permissions, we were stuck on the Wheat Cent Train that evening with no silvers, but quite a few coins in general. Pat dug 40 coins, I got about the same, with probably 20 wheat cents between us but no shiny coins.

I met Pat early Saturday afternoon, and we tried several neighborhoods, starting where we left off Thurs nite. In one yard I was able to get my coil over a very nice STERLING marked ring with beautiful stone, and another yard produced a 1927 Merc Dime. We continued to get wheat cents back to 1910, but very little silver. After taking a break for dinner (thank you Pat!), we headed to a 1940's home that I was hoping to get permission at, and it worked out that the lady there was totally cool with us detecting the entire yard. Pat soon came over to show me his "Lincoln Cent with the President wearing an Indian Head-dress!" His good find of a 1899 IHP. He also pulled a nice Full Date 1935 Buffalo Nickel from the front yard. My best find, along with more wheaties, was a Silver Rosie that came out of the side yard.

It was hot, with forest fire smoke in the air, and not much silvers, but we had a great time detecting together and visiting! Totals detecting for the both of us together were about 45 wheat cents, 160 total coins, 2 Silver Dimes, a Sterling Ring, a nice large mans ring for Pat, 1899 IHP and 1935 Buff. Thanks Patrick, come back again and we can get more detecting in, look forward to it!

Attachments

• pat11.jpg
    pat11.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 385
  • pat22.jpg
    pat22.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 397
  • pat33.jpg
    pat33.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 385
  • pat44.jpg
    pat44.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 380
  • coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 398
Thanks David. They were excellent hunts. Even though I found nothing shiny, the wheats were amazing, as was the buffalo and IHP.

So far this year I've only found 4 wheats....

Thanks David. They were excellent hunts. Even though I found nothing shiny, the wheats were amazing, as was the buffalo and IHP.

So far this year I've only found 4 wheats....

Thanks Pat! Glad you were able to add another 15+ wheats to your total for the year, plus the nice IHP and Buff!

Congrats to you and Pat LTS, great team effort. That ring is a sweet piece and has an old look about it. Good luck, Mark

Thanks. That is a huge find for me. You ever make it this way anymore?

PNW - I do come over to Whatcom County once in a while. Will be there this coming weekend but am doing some family stuff, Pioneer Days in Ferndale, and part of a softball tournament at Conoco Fields. No time for 'tecting this trip. Would enjoy meeting you and perhaps doing some detecting too!

Congrats to you and Pat LTS, great team effort. That ring is a sweet piece and has an old look about it. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark! It is a neat ring, came out of a ca 1915 yard.

Thanks all....it was a lot of fun to get together with David again. The ring is really cool (and I love finding all kinds of rings) and getting so many older coins was a real treat for me. My local parks are pretty well hunted, so oldies are few and far between unless I'm on private property.

PNW - I do come over to Whatcom County once in a while. Will be there this coming weekend but am doing some family stuff, Pioneer Days in Ferndale, and part of a softball tournament at Conoco Fields. No time for 'tecting this trip. Would enjoy meeting you and perhaps doing some detecting too!

Thanks Mark! It is a neat ring, came out of a ca 1915 yard.

Pioneer days nice. I have hit a few spots up there. Maybe next time. Beer and lunch on me once you get over and have time.

Back
Top Bottom