• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro vdi question

Mottz

Forum Supporter
Been detecting an 1897 yard. Not finding too much. I have been running 6x9 cool but switched to stock coil. Ground balance is regulating at 72-78. I’ve tried that but it is the lowest I have seen a gb so I have manually tried the 80’s. But my problem I’m having is my vdi numbers seem off. Clad pennies are consistently reading 88-93. With numbers like that, I will always dig. I did get 1 silver dime at 82. What is making pennies read so high?

Been detecting an 1897 yard. Not finding too much. I have been running 6x9 cool but switched to stock coil. Ground balance is regulating at 72-78. I’ve tried that but it is the lowest I have seen a gb so I have manually tried the 80’s. But my problem I’m having is my vdi numbers seem off. Clad pennies are consistently reading 88-93. With numbers like that, I will always dig. I did get 1 silver dime at 82. What is making pennies read so high?

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Not sure why they’re reading so high?

I would assume that it because its not ground balanced right .. trust the machine to ground balance itself .. I have run into the same difference in soil .. used to running it around 80 .. one park I go to wants it at 65 ..all I can say is let it do its thing then toss a quarter on the ground and see what it ring up as .. . at least you will know

I have done the reset and let the machine balance itself. I have permission across the street in another yard so I will see this weekend how it turns out.

Is there a lot of iron trash on the site? That usually brings up my vdi. For example I had a small aluminum button ring up at 92 today because it was over rusty nails and can slaw was coming in from 70 to 85.

I tried manually setting in mid 80’s. I even went across the street to different property. It balanced at 72-74. Had a consistent 93 at 4” depth. 1989 penny. So I tried digging just everything. Had a back and forth 48/49 that ended up being a 1940 nickel. I am in awe as to what is going on. Maybe I just need new batteries? Heck, I don’t know. Lol

Is there a lot of iron trash on the site? That usually brings up my vdi. For example I had a small aluminum button ring up at 92 today because it was over rusty nails and can slaw was coming in from 70 to 85.

Not too much. What I have dug for trash is by itself and I always scan again after the target is retrieved.

I would assume that it because its not ground balanced right .. trust the machine to ground balance itself .. I have run into the same difference in soil .. used to running it around 80 .. one park I go to wants it at 65 ..all I can say is let it do its thing then toss a quarter on the ground and see what it ring up as .. . at least you will know

Good post here. GB is my first guess.

Sometimes certain soils and EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) can effect readings. Hard to nail it down sometimes.

I find coins on the AT Pro often hit MUCH more "solid" than junk. I always dig solid hits.

Good post here. GB is my first guess.

Sometimes certain soils and EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) can effect readings. Hard to nail it down sometimes.

I find coins on the AT Pro often hit MUCH more "solid" than junk. I always dig solid hits.

I agree with solid hits. But, why is a penny reading 93?

I agree with solid hits. But, why is a penny reading 93?

As I said ground balance being off would be my first guess. I have seen areas with lots of lawn fertilization and or minerals in the soil chew pennies up. This is especially bad on zincs and it changed the readings by several #'s

Some zincs come out of the ground looking like a tiny shotgun peppered them with birdshot.

Update on the problem. Had a seeded hunt this weekend and it wouldn’t pick up a silver half at 6”. Messed with all settings with no luck. Did an air test. Here is where it gets interesting. Waved a silver half in front of it. It read between4-5. Placed a silver quarter in front of it. Came up 2-3. Silver dime was a loud 99. Showed that test to 6 different people and no one has any idea. Hope Garrett has a solution.

Not to sound stupid another experienced hunter....but was there another coin in the hole?

When I get odd numbers with my ATPro or even the 3030 and I can tell it's a good(coin) target, usually there are multiple coins touching or nearby. Or something else in the hole/plug.

These numbers are air test. Waving them 2” from the coil. It just is not picking up big silver but it is reading silver dimes at what should be half dollar to dollar and reading copper pennies at quarter range. Even in the field I always re-scan to make sure there is nothing else. The vdi readings are way off. Still waiting on email from Garrett.

Sometimes, when things don’t make sense, the answer is simple. Are you wearing any rings on your fingers? Just throwing that out there.

Had the same issue with my firs AT PRO With pin point issue also. I sent it in and they sent it back. Don't remember what it was they fixed but no truble with it now for the last 5-6 years.

Back
Top Bottom