Finally, The 2 Cent Club!

ollievon

Elite Member
It's been a long time swinging, and I have seen two of my buddies get amazing 2 cent pieces steps away from me, but this coin has always been elusive. I was swinging on a new farm permission and was having little luck in the plowed fields, so I meandered over to the woods that followed a creek. It was dead silent and then a strong tone from all angles and not the TID of a shotgun shell, however, I did fear it would be a deer slug, or some weird old caliber spent cartridge. Nope...at about 6 inches a green coin pops out and the first thing I thought was a Largie...but the numbers were totally wrong..."what are you?" I said to myself.

Upon further examination it was a 2 Cent Piece! I was floored, finally!!!!

It was pretty ratty and needed to be tooth picked with warm water back home, it took about an hour and 2 beers to get the details. It is an 1864 (first year of issue) and a possible Small Motto, but I'm still working on determining that which is tricky with dug coins. The details are fantastic and the green patina is the best. I'm happy to be in that elusive club now!

Morgan Club (check)
Reale Club (check)
GW Button Club (check)
Flying Eagle Club (check)
2 Cent Club (check)

Now need to find myself into The Trime Club...membership is just difficult, ugh...but finds like this just keep me going!

Attachments

• 2 cent 2.jpg
    2 cent 2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 2_cent_1.jpg
    2_cent_1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 460
That looks like a large motto to me. One indicator is (I think) that the T in TRUST is not right up against the part of the ribbon with WE on it. Still a nice find, though...

-- Tom

Welcome to the exclusive & elite "2 center club". I love that deep rich green patina !

Good story and beautiful coin! I'm not in any of the clubs you mentioned, but I am in the following clubs:

Pull Tab I thought was a gold ring Club (check)
Toasted Zincoln Club (check)
Hair Pin at Beach Club (check)
Crushed Aluminum Can at 8" Club (check)
Rusty Iron Nail Club (check)
Buried metal object so big it would take a backhoe to get it out Club (check)

You get the idea. Anyways, congrats on the great finds and admirable clubs. I will keep swinging and hope to join one of the better clubs some day!

Awesome coin in great condition! Nice find and welcome to the club!
1864 was the first year of the mintage.
It was the first US coin to have the "In God We Trust" motto added to it. It was supposed to be "In God Is Our Trust" but was changed in Dec 1863 by the treasury secretary Salmon Portland Chase.

I found an 1864 2 center yesterday as well. And the trime is also high upon my list, along with a GW button and a morgan. Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom