Went back to area today where I dug first silver of 2021 about 2 weeks ago

GKL

Forum Supporter
After I dug my first silver of 2021 about 2 weeks ago -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=289337

I wanted to get back there asap in case there might be more silvers and older coins other detectorists missed in the past, but I had to wait just over 2 weeks......

.......because I tried to be he-man at the gym :lol: and pushed myself at the weightlifting to lift more weight than what I should had started with and did something with my shoulders and was in extreme pain for a few days I needed to wait till now to be sure things healed up enough first. (I learned my lesson :lol:)

Anyhow, after finding that Merc there about 2 weeks ago I wanted to cover more of that area just in case there were more goodies in the dirt missed by past detectorists :lol:

No silver this hunt, but I still wanted to post about the hunt for a few reasons:

1.) to show noobs not to get discouraged from digging their share of trash
2.) to ask some questions about what I did dig today
3.) to show it's good to watch for landmarks that can alert you to research more

Okay, here's all my finds for a roughly 2 hour hunt, trash and all for the benefit of the noobs :lol:
(normally I'd hope to dig more targets, but I was still trying to be somewhat picky what signals to dig)
20210410_all_finds.jpg

Okay, this coin is a wheatie (see back) but have yet to determine the date.
My question is: Is it unusual for a wheatie to look rusted around the edges as well as so corroded in general ?
At first I thought maybe it's a steel cent, but it's not attracted to a magnet.
S20210410_0002.jpgS20210410_0003.jpg

The other coin was a 1998P nickel
NOTE: the TDI did jump from a 13 but 13 was consistent enough to dig, turned out there was a pull-tab in the same hole as the nickel :lol:
S20210410_0001.jpg

Another question:
Is it VERY common to get really good signals that turn out to be trash ?
All the trash I dug had good signals as I was trying to be somewhat picky instead of just digging everything :lol:
One TDI was a deep 38 and I thought YES !!!! :shock: .....but it turned out to be a short piece of thick wire at about 7-8 inches :lol:

Okay, there were 2 areas I detected today separated by a small side road, one area has the old basketball court I found the Merc at about 2 weeks ago, across the road a small field with an old paved walking path on part of it.

I never paid it much attention before but today I noticed on the road side of that small field were 2 short steps and "sidewalks to nowhere" :?:

At first I thought maybe there used to be houses there long ago, but when I was driving down that road done for the day I noticed a small monument near the far corner of that field, seems there used to be a small school there from 1922 to 1987 so I definitely plan to hunt that area more in hopes of finding silver and older coins missed by past detectorists :yes:
2021 sidewalk to nowhere.jpg2021 old water fountain.jpg2021 old school monument close up.jpg

That looks like a pic of one of my usual bag of finds, except for the coins.:lol:

That school site sounds promising, hope you have some luck there.

Gary you are a real slacker when it comes to trash digging. I dug a double hand full today in about an hour and a half. At least three times what you dug. I was looking for a white gold wedding band that belonged to a young ladies deceased Dad. Oh i did get two quarters, a dime and six memorial pennies.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! I like to see the kind of thread which represents an everyday hunt in the life of a metal detectorist. When you stop and think about it, many of the items we uncover, and much of the enjoyment we find in this hobby, result from regular trips like this one. :yes:

Congrats on the wheat cent!

Good post and pictures hope you find some thing good.

Thanks Dave !

That looks like a pic of one of my usual bag of finds, except for the coins. :lol:

That school site sounds promising, hope you have some luck there.

Thanks !

Hey, I've had my share of coinless hunts in the past too :lol: and some almost as bad like all trash and crusty corroded Zincolns :lol:

As nice as it would be to have great finds every hunt, in the public areas around here I am happy for whatever coins I do find and the very occasional Merc is like icing on the cake :lol:

Hey, I have fun regardless, while at the same time still working to fine-tune my research abilities to try to find areas with more potential :D

Gary you are a real slacker when it comes to trash digging. I dug a double hand full today in about an hour and a half. At least three times what you dug. I was looking for a white gold wedding band that belonged to a young ladies deceased Dad. Oh i did get two quarters, a dime and six memorial pennies.

:laughing: hey George, the more trash we clear out we can hope will help us find the harder to find targets :D

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! I like to see the kind of thread which represents an everyday hunt in the life of a metal detectorist. When you stop and think about it, many of the items we uncover, and much of the enjoyment we find in this hobby, result from regular trips like this one. :yes:

That looks like a neat location. Congrats on the wheat cent!

Thanks, yep, I think an occasional thread showing an "everyday" type of hunt might help noobs from getting discouraged thinking they should expect to dig silver on every hunt. Doesn't hurt to hope for great finds on each hunt (hoping is part of the fun !) but still keep a realistic view that some hunts will be average or even below average .....but still fun regardless !

A strong, solid 86 on my Gold Kruzer turned to be a tiny thin wire at about 6-7" yesterday. It was similar to a bag-tie wire but kind of shiny. And it was that deep in the middle of an old overgrown farm field... I'll admit, that place may way too trashy for the hypersensitive Gold Kruzer. I dont live near any gold fields, this is western Pennsylvania! This summer maybe I can bring the GK up to the beaches at Presque Isle Park in Erie. That would be a more a natural habitat for the waterproof touchy-feely GK.

I take it you were using your Nox.

A strong, solid 86 on my Gold Kruzer turned to be a tiny thin wire at about 6-7" yesterday. It was similar to a bag-tie wire but kind of shiny. And it was that deep in the middle of an old overgrown farm field... I'll admit, that place may way too trashy for the hypersensitive Gold Kruzer. I dont live near any gold fields, this is western Pennsylvania! This summer maybe I can bring the GK up to the beaches at Presque Isle Park in Erie. That would be a more a natural habitat for the waterproof touchy-feely GK.

I take it you were using your Nox.

Yep, definitely using the Nox.

Your wire find at 6-7" doesn't surprise me with some of the trash I dig after getting good signals.

I guess it's like what I read somewhere on the forum along the lines that you need to dig those good signals regardless of how much trash you dig in order not to miss the legitimately good targets.

The possible exception might be places like a picnic area where you might dig way way too much trash for just maybe a few good finds, I guess you need to judge each area individually as to how picky to be in each case or whether to even dig everything.

Silver... that word is something I rarely have in my grubby little hands. I'm going to research this place down to the grain, and anyplace before 1990 I'm going to ask (or knock on their door if pre-1970). As for the VDI, you really can't know much. How I think of it is, for example, I get a solid 13. Then instead of wondering whether it's a pull tab, ring, or nickel, I say "It can't be a quarter" and dig. That's how I've been doing it, instead of it could say it couldn't.

Silver... that word is something I rarely have in my grubby little hands. I'm going to research this place down to the grain, and anyplace before 1990 I'm going to ask (or knock on their door if pre-1970). As for the VDI, you really can't know much. How I think of it is, for example, I get a solid 13. Then instead of wondering whether it's a pull tab, ring, or nickel, I say "It can't be a quarter" and dig. That's how I've been doing it, instead of it could say it couldn't.

Just try not to fret over thinking you got to find silver a lot to enjoy the hobby.

Would we all like to find silver every other hunt ? Sure ! Who wouldn't ?

But I found one silver last year, and one this year so far, but I still have fun and enjoy all my hunts even when the finds are average.

Now having said all that, yes some members do find silver more frequently than others and the combination of reasons can vary. The biggest is location as you can't find it if it isn't there. Some have time to detect a lot more hours per week than others and the more you hunt the greater the "possibility" of finding more silver. You can research to try to find locations with greater "possible" potential, you can hunt more hours when possible, but realize some might live in areas where they simply might have more possible good locations. You simply try the best you can for your area.

So...... do research to try to find better locations, and every hunt hope for really good finds, but regardless how each hunt goes, just simply enjoy each hunt and have fun ! :D

Last edited:
check out https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer and see where that sidewalk went in the 1950's.

Thanks, I think that's the one I've used in the past for another area but hadn't yet thought to try it for this hunting area, appreciate the reminder, (I had been looking online for old photos and articles) will check it out later today, will be busy for a while today.

Just try not to fret over thinking you got to find silver a lot to enjoy the hobby.

Would we all like to find silver every other hunt ? Sure ! Who wouldn't ?

But I found one silver last year, and one this year so far, but I still have fun and enjoy all my hunts even when the finds are average.

Now having said all that, yes some members do find silver more frequently than others and the combination of reasons can vary. The biggest is location as you can't find it if it isn't there. Some have time to detect a lot more hours per week than others and the more you hunt the greater the "possibility" of finding more silver. You can research to try to find locations with greater "possible" potential, you can hunt more hours when possible, but realize some might live in areas where they simply might have more possible good locations. You simply try the best you can for your area.

So...... do research to try to find better locations, and every hunt hope for really good finds, but regardless how each hunt goes, just simply enjoy each hunt and have fun ! :D

I'm not fretting! I found enough clad last year to pay off my HF9FMD, Pinpointer, and shovel! Now I just need to find some more to pay off the vanquish, but in a way, it did in exercise. More like an investment for a healthier future for like a quarter of the money, it would take to get shipped to the emergency room. I've found enough silver coin roll hunting anyways, and hope to step up the game with the Nox. I'm actually a clad hunter, so if with the right program I'll bust out all the coins in my area.

Dun dunu dunn dun dun, dun dun dun duuuun dun dun COIN BUSTERS! :lol:

Sometimes especially in Parks where they might fertilize the soil, copper pennies can get corrosion like that Wheaton. And unfortunately yes, sometimes even iron can sound like a good target! Persistence is the key to finding good things.

I'm not fretting! I found enough clad last year to pay off my HF9FMD, Pinpointer, and shovel! Now I just need to find some more to pay off the vanquish, but in a way, it did in exercise. More like an investment for a healthier future for like a quarter of the money, it would take to get shipped to the emergency room. I've found enough silver coin roll hunting anyways, and hope to step up the game with the Nox. I'm actually a clad hunter, so if with the right program I'll bust out all the coins in my area.

Dun dunu dunn dun dun, dun dun dun duuuun dun dun COIN BUSTERS! :lol:

:laughing: Josh, I think you'll do great with the Nox combined with your enthusiasm for detecting ! :thumbsup:

Sometimes especially in Parks where they might fertilize the soil, copper pennies can get corrosion like that Wheaton. And unfortunately yes, sometimes even iron can sound like a good target! Persistence is the key to finding good things.

Thanks !

I can understand the corrosion that is showing up in the center of the coin as I've seen that before, what puzzled me was the "apparent" rust along the edge of the cent :?:

It's amazing how often nails and wire can sound like really good targets :lol: but you're right about persistence, you likely have to dig your share of good sounding nails so you don't pass up the genuine good finds.

That’s what it’s all about!

I mean, there are the occasional gold ring... wait. I need to stop daydreaming. Metal detecting is more than just detecting metal I guess, it's about the "excitement value" when you pop out what looks like a penny, but is a circle, then you can put your finger through it... you won't ever get that doing jumping jacks!

Back
Top Bottom